I'm to black to burn from sun rays.

bruceleer0y

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Seriously I love my nexus 4 but facial recognition doesn't work for people of my shade.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Caldera

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Seriously I love my nexus 4 but facial recognition doesn't work for people of my shade.

That sucks, but take comfort in the knowledge that it doesn't work well for me either, and my shade is #FFFFFF. I seem to recall reading that the Kinect had similar problems early on, but I could be wrong about that. Hopefully this gets taken care of in a future update.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yep, the Kinect also had this problem and I think it was eventually fixed. But it sucks...good thing I wasn't planning to use that feature anyway!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Most pattern recognition software has this problem. It stems from the level of color variation, which is how the software sees the shapes that make up a particular face. The darker your hue, the less variation in detectably bright skin tone, the less ability to extract shapes from the face.

Generally, when this is solved, it means raising the tolerances in the algorithm, making it less precise and more prone to mistaking someone else's face as yours.

So the darker your skin, the less advisable it is to use facial recognition unlock, because the rate of both false positives and false negatives will tend to increase with the decreased precision.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4 is racist! Lol

You would think Google would have learned from Microsoft - more than white people own smartphones

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
[SUP][/SUP]Ummmm.... I've never had that problem. I used face unlock on the Galaxy Nexus and use it now with the N4 and N7. Never had an issue with Kinect either. Must not be dark enough because sunrays do burn me.:-\

arathkone

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, but take comfort in the knowledge that it doesn't work well for me either, and my shade is #FFFFFF. I seem to recall reading that the Kinect had similar problems early on, but I could be wrong about that. Hopefully this gets taken care of in a future update.

:D

I don't have much of an issue with it but then I'm more R:230 G:146 B:80

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt