Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Nexus 4 Getting Hot

The glass near the top of the phone is supposed to get noticeably warmer than the rest of the phone when in use (most noticeable during heavy gaming or high usage of the phone) it is abnormal for the phone to get hot and it may be damaging the internal battery.

Global Posts
    667 Global Posts

Default AW: Nexus 4 Getting Hot

Mine gets warm very fast when using Google maps outside with weak signal. Other than that, it is OK.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

It's common to get warm when using maps, gaming or on a phone call but it shouldn't be in general use. A software update may also fix this. My SGS2 used to get really hot in GB but stopped when I updated to ICS.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Haven't noticed this before, had my Nexus 4 for about 2 weeks.

Put it on charge this morning, with the supplied charger, picked it up 2 hours later and its REALLY hot. Hottest at the back, near the lens.

It was in a gel case, I've removed it but its still worryingly hot.

the people here are crazy, maybe they just making it up, they are just fans of iphone

The nexus 4's back is glass, which conducts heat more than plastic. It shouldn't be anything to lose sleep over.

New nexus 4. Downloaded music and listened to 20 mins, then took phone call and it was too hot to hold to my ear. Does anyone have any feedback from Google? Dread an exchange process...its also got bad call reception - worse than my old non-smartphone on same UK vodafone
    network. Is that an issue for anyone else please?

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by sam59 View Post
    New nexus 4. Downloaded music and listened to 20 mins, then took phone call and it was too hot to hold to my ear. Does anyone have any feedback from Google? Dread an exchange process...its also got bad call reception - worse than my old non-smartphone on same UK vodafone
    network. Is that an issue for anyone else please?
    That's not good. It's common to get warm but certainly not too hot to hold. Unfortunately I think you may need to call Google. The RMA process is not horrible as you can still keep your phone until they replacements arrives. Did you just get it?

Android Evangelist

2 weeks ago, yes. My first smartphone so still getting to know it. WiFi and call reception are poor as well as the heat issue. Played music this am after charging phone overnight. System tuner app has CPU temp at average 55today.Phone is warm but not as hot as last night. Not sure how that sounds to you guys. Am going to call Google.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

2 weeks ago, yes. My first smartphone so still getting to know it. WiFi and call reception are poor as well as the heat issue. Played music this am after charging phone overnight. System tuner app has CPU temp at average 55today.Phone is warm but not as hot as last night. Not sure how that sounds to you guys. Am going to call Google.
    55 degrees is normal. Even cool.

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by manVSpan View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately it's getting hot. As Bobby Brown would say, too hot to handle. It takes about 4 min of just browsing or what ever.
    My guess, if not defective, is that you have several background operations running, with the extra browsing screen time putting it over the top with the processor going full bore. My phone will get hot when my daughter goes crazy playing some highly intensive games like Littlest Pet Shop which performs some really aggressive web connectivity on top of the on screen graphics, etc etc... It seriously rips through my battery at about a 10% clip per 30 mins. I wish she would get bored with this game and move on to something else. The only thing that seems to stop her from playing it is the phone getting too hot. LOL

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by minnemike View Post
    My guess, if not defective, is that you have several background operations running, with the extra browsing screen time putting it over the top with the processor going full bore. My phone will get hot when my daughter goes crazy playing some highly intensive games like Littlest Pet Shop which performs some really aggressive web connectivity on top of the on screen graphics, etc etc... It seriously rips through my battery at about a 10% clip per 30 mins. I wish she would get bored with this game and move on to something else. The only thing that seems to stop her from playing it is the phone getting too hot. LOL
    Lol maybe it could be considered a feature then

Android Evangelist
    Richard46 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    55 degrees is normal. Even cool.

I'm in England, so 55C not F, using just music player. I've asked for a replacement but am worried it will be the same. I'm a bit jinxed when it comes to tech.
    Richard46 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I'm in England, so 55C not F, using just music player. I've asked for a replacement but am worried it will be the same. I'm a bit jinxed when it comes to tech.
    Yikes that's really hot. Sounds like trouble. I would do a factory reset if you haven't already and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then I would call Google.

Android Evangelist

Mine has been getting pretty warm as well. I've had it for about 3 weeks. It was getting warm for the first week but it's been getting hotter and hotter. I might have to get a replacement Nexus ;-;

Mine heats up a lot only on specific apps. Navigation (as others have mentioned) heat it up a lot, and I notice the battery getting hammered by it. Also some games like Where's My Water seem to heat it up a lot too.

Not sure if it's normal for the Nexus 4. Though no other phone I've had heats up that much with navigation.

I've requested a replacement now; didn't realise they hold another 288 from your credit card until it's despatched and they have the faulty one back. I've requested at least a refund of my shipping charge - double cheek as it took 5 weeks to get the phone anyhow.
    It behaved ok over the weekend, but today in sleep mode, the CPU went to 51 C and the CPU activity monitor went mental. Battery life drained from 45% to 4% in 2 hours, when phone wasn't even in use.
    The jinx continues. I'm wondering if I should even bother to wait another 4 weeks for a replacement or should just get a different phone. I really like the nexus, but this is nuts

Just did a search for this topic, and found this thread and will add my story. I got my N4 when the first batches started going out, so hope it's not too late. Last week, as I was riding the train home (NYC) just listening to music via "Play Music" app, and with nothing else running in the background except for mail and the messaging app, I went to change a song, so reached in my jacket pocket and felt the phone was burning hot.. not just normal warm. To be honest, at all other times, the phone is usually very cool to the touch, regardless of how many things are open in the background.

I shut it down before checking resources or anything, out of fear I guess. Reboot after it cooled down, and it was fine. That was about 5 days ago or so. Move to today, and it is 12:52pm. I picked up my phone for the first time today about half an hour ago, brought it to my desk and set it down. It was not hot. Got an alert that battery life was low and to plug it it. Went and got the charger, picked it up and bam.. burning hot again?! WiFi was on, but nothing else was running in the background.

Aside from the burning, navigation was sluggish, gestures were unresponsive etc.. Not cool. Battery usage didn't show anything unusual from what I could see.. Dolphin Browser was responsible for 23% of usage, then the screen about 20%. This was not happening before the update to 4.2.2 ,and so I wonder if that's what is causing this? For my phone, anyway?

Doug

Edit: By the way, running stock all the way.

mine heats up too.. basically the top half of the back panel..

guys, can any one help me with the replacement process ? pls let me know how to go about it
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12