Nexus 4 Getting Hot

manVSpan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else's phone getting hot? Not warm, but hot? My phone is getting hot in the top half of the phone. Also, I can hear crackling when I'm on a call sometimes. I think I have a bad device. Anyone else experiencing this? Dreading the return/exchange process.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh crap, another bug to watch out for, first the yellow smears on the LCD screen when it gets warm and then wifi acting up and now getting too hot to handle, well this is the reason unforeseeable forces has made it where I have to wait on my Nexus 4 anyway, but that's ok I have learned to deal with them :)

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yup this usually happens. No, not all of the first ones are messed up, but some are. And yes, there are "second batches" if you will, where bugs get worked out. Just like software. I'm sorry this happened. I just hope those of us unlucky enough to miss the launch will be lucky enough to have the bugs worked out. Don't forget the phone that completely stopped working and the one the headphones don't fit in.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Every time I see a bug pop up just makes me much more happier I wasn't able to order :) but really I do feel bad about the people who now have to go through the inconvenience of getting a replacement or there money back.

But I would surely be sad :( if Google/LG did nothing to get the bugs worked out.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
And before someone pops off and says I'm implying that all of the first nexus' are defective...I'm not!! I am saying that this happens with any new product. Some of the first will have bugs. just like software like I said before. It comes out and immediately there are updates to fix bugs.

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else's phone getting hot? Not warm, but hot? My phone is getting hot in the top half of the phone. Also, I can hear crackling when I'm on a call sometimes. I think I have a bad device. Anyone else experiencing this? Dreading the return/exchange process.

Man that sucks. I shudder to think how long the exchange might take.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Every time I see a bug pop up just makes me much more happier I wasn't able to order :) but really I do feel bad about the people who now have to go through the inconvenience of getting a replacement or there money back.

But I would surely be sad :( if Google/LG did nothing to get the bugs worked out.

You read my mind, waiting is a pain but it could pay off.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Every company makes mistakes now and then. Like Apple emailed my mother asking for her PC to be brought into the nearest store because they installed faulty hard drives over 2 Years

manVSpan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input, but I was really hoping for feedback from other N4 users. I'm glad that I got mine early. It's a great phone. And most of my concerns about it have been squashed since day one. But I really do think I have a rouge model. I just want to make sure before I start rationing my use on it while waiting for a replacement.

Thanks again everyone.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Mine gets warm at the very top. But I wouldn't call it hot. Certainly isn't as hot as my VZW galaxy nexus would get. That phone would get so hot that it was literally discomforting to use at times.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately it's getting hot. As Bobby Brown would say, too hot to handle. It takes about 4 min of just browsing or what ever.

Wow that definitely sounds like a case for warranty exchange. Mine gets warm but it takes a while of constant use and even then, it isn't too hot to handle. Its not even uncomfortable to handle. Just noticeably warmer in one spot than the rest of the device.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Pandu Dryad

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Maybe you can take some ice on it.. :p:p:p

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed my device getting a bit warm at the top after a but of browsing but nothing really concerning- def not exchange worthy!

JaxChris

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Got hot while it was downloading everything during the first couple hours after first boot. Since then, it has been on par with other sealed devices. The lack of air gap between the internals and the body creates a heatsink effect. Report back in a couple days when you're not pulling down 100MB's per hour. It will still happen when streaming video, high bit-rate audio, and rapid media rich web browsing.

randomblame

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I got mine last night - plugged it in to the ac and it overheated now I have no adb or fastboot or usb tethering basically I can't talk to the thing via usb anymore !!!! it only charges up to 50% Google will replace it but I have to have $350 in the bank that they can put on hold until the process completes!!! I just spent all my money on two nexi one for me and one for the wife. I shouldn't have to deal with this they should just fix their mistakes I'm horribly sad and angry

applesmcgrind

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah mine definitely gets warm when I'm listening to Pandora. It gets EXTREMELY hot about 3/4 of the phone, towards the top. All I have to do is download something on the play store or browse. Definitely seems like I'm not the only one. Really don't feel like going through the exchange process and getting a even more defected device. No yellow tint so far, so there's that.