Real World battery life?

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Can those lucky folks who got an N4 please post about battery life in their real life experience once they have all their data sucking apps installed? I use g+, fb, Words with Friends, Dropbox, weather, and Good (enterprise email).

I wasn't able to successfully place my order on D-day, and absolutely must have announced unlocked GSM phone in my hands by 12/7 as I'm going on an overseas trip a little after that. Given that I'm just twiddling my thumbs waiting on a restock, I've started looking at options like the International Galaxy Note 2.

My biggest needs are for a good camera, and at least 6 hours of battery life. Android 4.2 & photosphere are extremely desirable but not mission critical. I'd really prefer a Nexus for no bloatware and fast updates but if that's not an option or if the battery sucks I'll cry and get over it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

harrycarry250

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
My biggest needs are for a good camera, and at least 6 hours of battery life. Android 4.2 & photosphere are extremely desirable but not mission critical. I'd really prefer a Nexus for no bloatware and fast updates but if that's not an option or if the battery sucks I'll cry and get over it.

Then you're fine! I am getting a full day out of my Nexus 4. I text, use about a full hour of web, use maps, snap some pics, and check fb every so often. Right now I have had my phone on battery for 12 hours since my last charge. Screen time on is 2 hours and with auto brightness in my mushroom cave my display is using 33% percent of my battery. I had the phone on the charger for about an hour and I am at 18%. Overall my battery life is acceptable, if not good. It is better than my battery experience with the gs3 and on par with my iPhone 5(HSPA+ mode).

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Think I can guarantee 6 hours of usage the way you describe lol. Not a very lofty goal.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Cool & wow, many thanks. I've got a few portable battery chargers, and am within a power outlet most of the day so my needs are low. I have my apps check for data updates very often so I chew through batteries. Although I suspect some of that is due to 4G/lte.

Now I just need to hope the Play store is restocked by 11/29 otherwise I'll have to find a TMo store with stock. I'm on AT&T so I'll have to pay the ETF.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been using mine heavily this weekend and have been getting about 8 hours. When the newness wears off I bet I can get all day. That is typical for me.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, that's great! I was very fearful of the battery sucking. Not anymore.

Perhaps this will help give you a better idea. Once again I've been using battery intense things. That's my battery at 42%. And I suspect the battery will get a little better after break in.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1353296276924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1353296276924.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 37

safavi

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been using mine for a few days and there definitely seems to be something going on with the software side. I typically find that "Android OS" and "Android System" together consume way more battery than the screen as a percentage of usage and way more than I am used to from my previous phones.

I currently have Google Now, Latitude, Location History, one gmail + one google apps account syncing. I can still manage my currently light usage, but as I start using the device for music etc... I can definitely see a problem. It seems clear to me that there is some software bug at play, at least on some devices/configurations. Often times I see that the device has spent hours at the 384 MHz state when it was supposed to be sleeping.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have been using mine for a few days and there definitely seems to be something going on with the software side. I typically find that "Android OS" and "Android System" together consume way more battery than the screen as a percentage of usage and way more than I am used to from my previous phones.

I currently have Google Now, Latitude, Location History, one gmail + one google apps account syncing. I can still manage my currently light usage, but as I start using the device for music etc... I can definitely see a problem. It seems clear to me that there is some software bug at play, at least on some devices/configurations. Often times I see that the device has spent hours at the 384 MHz state when it was supposed to be sleeping.

I'm seeing very high "Android System" usage on my Galaxy Nexus with 4.2 also. Checking into it I see no wakelocks or anything of the sort. I just think more system applications are actually getting lumped into "Android System", so it's being reported higher.

MrVivekB

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking six of screen on time or six hours away from a charger. One of those is extremely likely. The other one though...

I meant away from charger, perhaps 3 hours of screen time. The latter posts show that won't be an issue.

Although, my HTC One X has been sucking down battery MUCH faster in the past week. As in, 3 hours away from charger. I wonder if one of my apps is thrashing the data connection, and whether it's the same issue some of you are experiencing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
This is only on my second charge cycle with a lot of web browsing, texting, and about 50/50 on Wi-Fi/HSPA+. Also about 50 minutes on voice calls. It should get even better after a few more cycles.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-19-00-43-07.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-19-00-43-07.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2012-11-19-00-43-13.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-19-00-43-13.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 21

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
This is only on my second charge cycle with a lot of web browsing, texting, and about 50/50 on Wi-Fi/HSPA+. Also about 50 minutes on voice calls. It should get even better after a few more cycles.

Good to see. thanks for reporting in. Looks very similar to normal usage on a GSM Galaxy Nexus.

safavi

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing very high "Android System" usage on my Galaxy Nexus with 4.2 also. Checking into it I see no wakelocks or anything of the sort. I just think more system applications are actually getting lumped into "Android System", so it's being reported higher.
I do see some strange behavior it's just hard to know exactly what is causing it. I have disabled the location based stuff from Google Now (transit directions, places of interest etc...) and will see how I fare tomorrow.

When I looked at the battery stats output, I recall seeing some wakelocks that I didn't recognize. Specifically, I have "msm_hsic_host" as the top item.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800