the N4 rattle sound - does yours have it? how do we get it fixed?

flipflopp

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 N4s also one for me and my wife that rattle. Is more like the light sound of a bean bag. Very faint. Nothing to worry about. It doesnt sound like something is loose inside moving all around. I know that sounds stupid but you would have to hear it. I am not bothered by it. I only hear it if i tap it with my hand or place it down on a magazine on the table.

TinaVane

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine only does it if I shake the phone. My question is, why are people walking around shaking their phones? What possessed the first person who noticed this to shake their phone to begin with. Make no sense to me, I dont do it so therefore is is not a problem in my opinion.

some games ask for u to shake dear

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
does it rattle when you shake it hard or when you just move it?

i can hear it more when i shake it harder, but even a gentle back and forth motion generates noise.

if i had to live with it that wouldn't be a problem as it's very subtle and practically unnoticeable unless you're looking for it. but it would be nice to know exactly what it is, especially since some people are reporting that their N4s don't have the rattle sound.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i can hear it more when i shake it harder, but even a gentle back and forth motion generates noise.

if i had to live with it that wouldn't be a problem as it's very subtle and practically unnoticeable unless you're looking for it. but it would be nice to know exactly what it is...

damn i wish i didn't know about it because now my ears are going to be looking for it lol

frageelay

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't have to shake it to hear it sometimes. If I sit it down on its back it rattles and when walking with the phone in a loose pocket it rattles with my steps. Not exactly sure but it seems to be getting worse.

72Monkeys

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
mine does it when i set it down on any surface, save my bed. AND when i use the haptic feedback..the first time i ever used haptic feedback...because the NEXUS 4 got it just perfect...except the rattle. but it's the rattle that happens when sitting it down that makes me cringe!

72Monkeys

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't have to shake it to hear it sometimes. If I sit it down on its back it rattles and when walking with the phone in a loose pocket it rattles with my steps. Not exactly sure but it seems to be getting worse.

I think you're right about it getting worse, mine is too...to the point I don't want to show it to my friends! boo! anyone know what it is? I'm not above opening it up and taping stuff down! ;)

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Both the wife and I have it if we shake super hard a certain way. We could care less. :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

NordicNinja

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty certain it's the power button that rattles as pointed out by someone earlier. If I tap my finger on the back top left corner of the phone it rattles noticeably. If I do the same thing but hold down the power button slightly, it doesn't happen.

Edit: never mind... It still happens if I tap harder. Does seem to be coming from the camera area.

cinek

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty certain it's the power button that rattles as pointed out by someone earlier. If I tap my finger on the back top left corner of the phone it rattles noticeably. If I do the same thing but hold down the power button slightly, it doesn't happen.

Edit: never mind... It still happens if I tap harder. Does seem to be coming from the camera area.

yep it does, I held both the volume and power buttons but it didn't change a thing

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to call Google to inquire about getting a replacement. While I could definitely live with the rattle I'd rather have a device that doesn't rattle.

Spoke with a nice customer service rep who said this is a known issue, although she didn't know what causes the rattle.

She is sending me a replacement which should arrive in a couple days; apparently they keep a separate stock for replacement.

Bravo Google customer support!

palitsyn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Kind of funny to see this kind of thread on Android forums. I thought iPhone users were paranoid :)

It has nothing to do with buttons, loose parts etc.. It's a camera. and it will not be fixed, as it is not an issue to begin with. Just stop shaking and tapping your phones :))

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Kind of funny to see this kind of thread on Android forums. I thought iPhone users were paranoid :)

It has nothing to do with buttons, loose parts etc.. It's a camera. and it will not be fixed, as it is not an issue to begin with. Just stop shaking and tapping your phones :))

Agreed.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
She is sending me a replacement which should arrive in a couple days; apparently they keep a separate stock for replacement.

just got an email that my replacement has been shipped out of Dublin, so less than 24 hour turnaround after calling this in to Google customer service.

jenskristian

May 6, 2012
Visit site
just got an email that my replacement has been shipped out of Dublin, so less than 24 hour turnaround after calling this in to Google customer service.

So I decided to call Google to inquire about getting a replacement. While I could definitely live with the rattle I'd rather have a device that doesn't rattle.

Spoke with a nice customer service rep who said this is a known issue, although she didn't know what causes the rattle.

Bravo Google customer support!

Can you wait to return your first device until you have received the replacement? I also have this issue, but I'm sort of in a tough situation as I bough the device through JetCarrier. Google shipped it to them and they shipped it to me. If I were to return it I would only do it if I can get Google to send it directly to me in Norway. Anyone have any experience with this kind of issue?

Also, which e-mail adress can I use to contact them?

dar_k

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

When you say Dublin, do you mean Dublin, Ireland? Very interesting given that we (in Dublin, Ireland) can't purchase it from the Play Store :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz