Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default the N4 rattle sound - does yours have it? how do we get it fixed?

it sounds like a fair number of us are noticing a subtle rattling noise in the back, but not everyone has this.

hopefully for those of us interested in getting this fixed we can get a brand new device rather than having to send in the one we own to have repaired?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: the N4 rattle sound - does yours have it? how do we get it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by smileman View Post
    it sounds like a fair number of us are noticing a subtle rattling noise in the back, but not everyone has this.

hopefully for those of us interested in getting this fixed we can get a brand new device rather than having to send in the one we own to have repaired?
    i think i read something like this on xda... what exactly is the problem..?

yeah I'm definitely getting it.

Global Posts
    282 Global Posts

think there's a topic about this already - it's a know "issue" apparently few other phones have the same thing so nothing to worry

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android

Here are some shots of the Nexus 4 guts that may be of some use.

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

so it sounds like putting in a call or email to Google Play is what needs to happen if you want to get this fixed?

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

does it rattle when you shake it hard or when you just move it?
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

I called support directly and the rep said that he hasn't heard about anything like this but if I wanted to submit a warranty claim I could. I told him I'll wait a few weeks and see how it holds up so i can let some other people that will be waiting for a month get their devices

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    Mine only does it if I shake the phone. My question is, why are people walking around shaking their phones? What possessed the first person who noticed this to shake their phone to begin with. Make no sense to me, I dont do it so therefore is is not a problem in my opinion.
    Motorola M70>Samsung N400>Sanyo MM7500>Sanyo A900>Blackberry Pearl>Blackberry Storm>HTC ThunderBolt>Nexus 4>Motorola DROID Maxx
    gone down south likes this.

I have no such issue....

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by rjfarrow View Post
    Mine only does it if I shake the phone. My question is, why are people walking around shaking their phones? What possessed the first person who noticed this to shake their phone to begin with. Make no sense to me, I dont do it so therefore is is not a problem in my opinion.
    yea thats what i thought. now if it were rattling with just some gentle movement i can see how that can be annoying

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

I have rattle. It's definitely coming from the camera. I think it's the shutter/auto-focus.

Currently, it doesn't bother me so no big thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    I have rattle. It's definitely coming from the camera. I think it's the shutter/auto-focus.

Currently, it doesn't bother me so no big thing.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    I am positive it is the camera elements. Happens more when you shake it front to back than side to side.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

here's a thought...setup your phone and enjoy it
    why are you shaking the phone next to your head in the first place?

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

For what it's worth, I just shook my HTC One X and hear the exact same sound as described with the Nexus 4...it is most definitely the camera components so I would not be worrying about it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

No rattle, no glue streak. And the back doesn't sparkle like photos make it look.

My GS3 has the same sound. Nothing to worry about nerds.
    Your Resident Googler

Global Posts
    768 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yup, both of my N4's do it, I noticed it on my work phone about 2 weeks ago, was told it was normal, compared to friends GS3's, they all have it too. nothing to worry about that ive seen.
    Google it.

i tested the rattle on my phone and it sounds like it's coming from very minor back-and-forth play in the power button, not from the camera components. not sure if this is the same rattle that people are referring to, but it's definitely not an issue for me.

My ip5 does it too. Non issue for me. Coming from the camera/lock button area.

I have 2 N4s also one for me and my wife that rattle. Is more like the light sound of a bean bag. Very faint. Nothing to worry about. It doesnt sound like something is loose inside moving all around. I know that sounds stupid but you would have to hear it. I am not bothered by it. I only hear it if i tap it with my hand or place it down on a magazine on the table.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjfarrow View Post
    some games ask for u to shake dear

Quote Originally Posted by TinaVane View Post
    some games ask for u to shake dear
    There are a few Twitter apps that have "shake to refresh" also, although I've never really used that feature and if I did I wouldn't do it close to my ear .
    TinaVane likes this.

If you are playing a game with sound you won't hear it. Anyway I have it as well, no big deal for me as I tend not to shake my phones.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i can hear it more when i shake it harder, but even a gentle back and forth motion generates noise.

if i had to live with it that wouldn't be a problem as it's very subtle and practically unnoticeable unless you're looking for it. but it would be nice to know exactly what it is, especially since some people are reporting that their N4s don't have the rattle sound.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast