Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Anyone else kinda worried about coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by killroy420 View Post
    I wish everyone would mention the area they live in when talking about reception issues on the different carriers. Knowing how good the service is does me little good when I live in Oakland, CA. It would help put a lot of this conversation in perspective and allow us to find the most relevant info, because we all know that reception is extremely location specific.

Anyways, I myself am curious about anyone's experience with T-Mobile and ATT service in the Oakland/Fremont/San Jose area. I been stuck on Verizon for forever on a family plan and would like up save the fam some money, but I gotta know if we can talk reliably. Right now I plan on using the N4 to test out service on t mobile. If I find it to be crap, I will either return it to Google ( 30 return policy) or EBay it if the prices are still good; and then I'll just settle for a Note 2 ($700 off contract >_<).

Side....Note: why couldn't Verizon and Google come up with a Nexus Note? I would be in cell phone heaven...

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    Your best bet is to go with either the carrier maps or a user-contributed coverage map like Sensorly.

Add far as Verizon getting a nexus again, it's been discussed quite a lot, but Verizon and nexus are the antitheses of each other and that will be true until they implement a standard that allows open standards based handsets on their network. Maybe when VoLTE becomes the standard. Maybe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X

ROM
    AOKP / Franco Kernel

Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post

Add far as Verizon getting a nexus again, it's been discussed quite a lot, but Verizon and nexus are the antitheses of each other and that will be true until they implement a standard that allows open standards based handsets on their network. Maybe when VoLTE becomes the standard. Maybe.
    That was just my daydream...my forite hardware/software/carrier performance. I know it won't happen, but a man can dream...

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I actually just switched from Verizon to the Family Mobile (T-Mobile) plan through Walmart. Haven't had any issues so far with coverage. I dropped my first call a few days ago, though . But, for $45/ month, I get Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. I get 250MB of HSPA+ data, and then it's throttled to Edge speeds. But, I'm on Wifi most of the time, so I have yet to even hit 50MB. Overall, I am very satisfied. Porting my number to Google Voice was a breeze. So, in the future, if I decide to try out Straight Talk, or get the $30 plan through T Mobile's website, I can just stop paying the bill and be on my way!! NO MORE ETFS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrBigFeathers View Post
    I would try testing the service yourself before switching, don't go by what the coverage maps say.
    This absolutely. According to the coverage map, I have great coverage on Verizon where I live. BUT....real world use...its a bad reception area. For most thing concerning these phones, real world use is the only true way to tell. Here's the kicker....AT&T might actually be better than Verizon in my area. It has to be as good. My PS Vita using AT&T data gets better data reception in my apt. than any smartphone I had/have on Verizon.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #55  

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    I actually just switched from Verizon to the Family Mobile (T-Mobile) plan through Walmart. Haven't had any issues so far with coverage. I dropped my first call a few days ago, though . But, for $45/ month, I get Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. I get 250MB of HSPA+ data, and then it's throttled to Edge speeds. But, I'm on Wifi most of the time, so I have yet to even hit 50MB. Overall, I am very satisfied. Porting my number to Google Voice was a breeze. So, in the future, if I decide to try out Straight Talk, or get the $30 plan through T Mobile's website, I can just stop paying the bill and be on my way!! NO MORE ETFS!!!
    i believe i saw a sign in my family walmart saying "straight talk - powered by tmobile with up to 250mb of high data speeds". does this mean if i try straight talk at&t (not tmobile), i will only get 250mb of unthrottled data?

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i believe i saw a sign in my family walmart saying "straight talk - powered by tmobile with up to 250mb of high data speeds". does this mean if i try straight talk at&t (not tmobile), i will only get 250mb of unthrottled data?
    That's a great question; I wish I had an answer . Nothing I have says Straight Talk on it, though. But, from what I've heard here and around the web, Straight Talk (AT&T) throttles you depending on the market where you most use your phone. There's no concrete cap on data; and no there's information in their user guides, or on their website about when you are throttled, and to what extent. So, as far as I know, you have unlimited data on their terms. But, the average user reports getting throttled between 2 and 3GB, if that helps any.

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I switched from Sprint to Straight Talk ATT and coverage has been better. Data speeds in the sticks are 200-2000Kb. I was getting 73Kb on Sprint .

Call quality is excellent. YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Originally Posted by bobjohnson201
    Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    That's a great question; I wish I had an answer . Nothing I have says Straight Talk on it, though. But, from what I've heard here and around the web, Straight Talk (AT&T) throttles you depending on the market where you most use your phone. There's no concrete cap on data; and no there's information in their user guides, or on their website about when you are throttled, and to what extent. So, as far as I know, you have unlimited data on their terms. But, the average user reports getting throttled between 2 and 3GB, if that helps any.
    yea i would think that the throttling would differ since they are different networks. maybe someone else knows the answer to this?

ROM
    Stock 4.2 Jellybean

I haven't gotten throttled yet, and I've had them for months. However, I rarely use more than 2-3 GB of data a month since there's wifi almost everywhere I go. I used to be terrified of leaving my unlimited Sprint service, but once I started using ST and had a phone with Android 4.X that could track usage I realized that I use way less data than I thought. That's not everyone's case obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of us use a lot less than we think. Now if you're watching youtube/Netflix all the time, constantly streaming Pandora, and uploading a ton of photos each day you might have issues, but you'll have that with any carrier (except Sprint) these days so you might as well pay a lot less per month for the same service.
    LG Nexus 4 (16 GB) - Stock 4.2 - Straight Talk (AT&T SIM)
    Asus Nexus 7 (16 GB) - Black Bean 6 - Franco Kernel
    Samsung Chromebook (ARM) - Stock

Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sold...

All in with Google...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #60  

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    No. Not at all. All it does is not funnel traffic through Straight Talk's proxy, which blocks some things (like Speedtest.net).
    hey andrew, I read this (How to set up the right APN on your Nexus 4 | Android Central) and see that there proxy line on straight talk att has stuff. do i leave that blank or..?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123