11-24-2012 01:07 PM
60 123
tools
    I wish everyone would mention the area they live in when talking about reception issues on the different carriers. Knowing how good the service is does me little good when I live in Oakland, CA. It would help put a lot of this conversation in perspective and allow us to find the most relevant info, because we all know that reception is extremely location specific.

Anyways, I myself am curious about anyone's experience with T-Mobile and ATT service in the Oakland/Fremont/San Jose area. I been stuck on Verizon for forever on a family plan and would like up save the fam some money, but I gotta know if we can talk reliably. Right now I plan on using the N4 to test out service on t mobile. If I find it to be crap, I will either return it to Google ( 30 return policy) or EBay it if the prices are still good; and then I'll just settle for a Note 2 ($700 off contract >_<).

Side....Note: why couldn't Verizon and Google come up with a Nexus Note? I would be in cell phone heaven...

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    Your best bet is to go with either the carrier maps or a user-contributed coverage map like Sensorly.

Add far as Verizon getting a nexus again, it's been discussed quite a lot, but Verizon and nexus are the antitheses of each other and that will be true until they implement a standard that allows open standards based handsets on their network. Maybe when VoLTE becomes the standard. Maybe.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    11-20-2012 05:39 PM

Add far as Verizon getting a nexus again, it's been discussed quite a lot, but Verizon and nexus are the antitheses of each other and that will be true until they implement a standard that allows open standards based handsets on their network. Maybe when VoLTE becomes the standard. Maybe.
    That was just my daydream...my forite hardware/software/carrier performance. I know it won't happen, but a man can dream...

I tried to think of something witty, but this is all I could come up with.
    11-20-2012 06:55 PM
    I actually just switched from Verizon to the Family Mobile (T-Mobile) plan through Walmart. Haven't had any issues so far with coverage. I dropped my first call a few days ago, though . But, for $45/ month, I get Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. I get 250MB of HSPA+ data, and then it's throttled to Edge speeds. But, I'm on Wifi most of the time, so I have yet to even hit 50MB. Overall, I am very satisfied. Porting my number to Google Voice was a breeze. So, in the future, if I decide to try out Straight Talk, or get the $30 plan through T Mobile's website, I can just stop paying the bill and be on my way!! NO MORE ETFS!!!
    11-20-2012 07:51 PM
    I would try testing the service yourself before switching, don't go by what the coverage maps say.
    This absolutely. According to the coverage map, I have great coverage on Verizon where I live. BUT....real world use...its a bad reception area. For most thing concerning these phones, real world use is the only true way to tell. Here's the kicker....AT&T might actually be better than Verizon in my area. It has to be as good. My PS Vita using AT&T data gets better data reception in my apt. than any smartphone I had/have on Verizon.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    11-20-2012 08:24 PM
    I actually just switched from Verizon to the Family Mobile (T-Mobile) plan through Walmart. Haven't had any issues so far with coverage. I dropped my first call a few days ago, though . But, for $45/ month, I get Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data. I get 250MB of HSPA+ data, and then it's throttled to Edge speeds. But, I'm on Wifi most of the time, so I have yet to even hit 50MB. Overall, I am very satisfied. Porting my number to Google Voice was a breeze. So, in the future, if I decide to try out Straight Talk, or get the $30 plan through T Mobile's website, I can just stop paying the bill and be on my way!! NO MORE ETFS!!!
    i believe i saw a sign in my family walmart saying "straight talk - powered by tmobile with up to 250mb of high data speeds". does this mean if i try straight talk at&t (not tmobile), i will only get 250mb of unthrottled data?
    11-20-2012 10:32 PM
    i believe i saw a sign in my family walmart saying "straight talk - powered by tmobile with up to 250mb of high data speeds". does this mean if i try straight talk at&t (not tmobile), i will only get 250mb of unthrottled data?
    That's a great question; I wish I had an answer . Nothing I have says Straight Talk on it, though. But, from what I've heard here and around the web, Straight Talk (AT&T) throttles you depending on the market where you most use your phone. There's no concrete cap on data; and no there's information in their user guides, or on their website about when you are throttled, and to what extent. So, as far as I know, you have unlimited data on their terms. But, the average user reports getting throttled between 2 and 3GB, if that helps any.
    11-20-2012 10:45 PM
    I switched from Sprint to Straight Talk ATT and coverage has been better. Data speeds in the sticks are 200-2000Kb. I was getting 73Kb on Sprint .

Call quality is excellent. YMMV

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    MERCDROID likes this.
    11-20-2012 11:03 PM
    Originally Posted by bobjohnson201
    That's a great question; I wish I had an answer . Nothing I have says Straight Talk on it, though. But, from what I've heard here and around the web, Straight Talk (AT&T) throttles you depending on the market where you most use your phone. There's no concrete cap on data; and no there's information in their user guides, or on their website about when you are throttled, and to what extent. So, as far as I know, you have unlimited data on their terms. But, the average user reports getting throttled between 2 and 3GB, if that helps any.
    yea i would think that the throttling would differ since they are different networks. maybe someone else knows the answer to this?
    11-21-2012 10:16 AM
    I haven't gotten throttled yet, and I've had them for months. However, I rarely use more than 2-3 GB of data a month since there's wifi almost everywhere I go. I used to be terrified of leaving my unlimited Sprint service, but once I started using ST and had a phone with Android 4.X that could track usage I realized that I use way less data than I thought. That's not everyone's case obviously, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of us use a lot less than we think. Now if you're watching youtube/Netflix all the time, constantly streaming Pandora, and uploading a ton of photos each day you might have issues, but you'll have that with any carrier (except Sprint) these days so you might as well pay a lot less per month for the same service.
    11-21-2012 10:37 AM
    No. Not at all. All it does is not funnel traffic through Straight Talk's proxy, which blocks some things (like Speedtest.net).
    hey andrew, I read this (How to set up the right APN on your Nexus 4 | Android Central) and see that there proxy line on straight talk att has stuff. do i leave that blank or..?
    11-24-2012 01:07 PM
60 123