This is why Google should limit orders to 1 per shipping address during the initial release window

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
At least he's honest that he's gouging you for the opportunity to "show it off at Thanksgiving."

Also, for all we know, this is the only one he ordered and he changed his mind after getting it.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
That was a brilliant idea by those that bought them to flip them for profit. Hell, I'd have bought 10, sold 'em all and bought my own N4 in a couple weeks when they were restocked.

Those "assholes" wouldn't get away with a plan like that if there weren't idiots creating the demand.

"There's a sucker born every minute. " - P.T. Barnum

squadz

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing $100 premiums being added at least on forums I frequent, of people OFFERING to buy. Not selling.

This is crazy.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Supply and demand.

Seriously. Get. Over. It.

Last edited:

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Never gonna change. This happens with everything nowadays b/c people want the latest and they want it NOWWWW (said in Veruca Salt tone of voice).

Honestly, who cares? Just enjoy the phone you currently have a little longer.

Sent from my HTC Supersonic using Android Central Forums

MonsieurJohnny

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Never gonna change. This happens with everything nowadays b/c people want the latest and they want it NOWWWW (said in Veruca Salt tone of voice).

Honestly, who cares? Just enjoy the phone you currently have a little longer.

Sent from my HTC Supersonic using Android Central Forums

I don't have a phone I sold it.

DNicolasL

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
That's not a perfect system. I'm buying one for my girlfriend, and my dad is buying one (he's leaving Sprint). We have separate Google accounts. Imagine what the system would do under your scenario. There's only one real way to do it right: have a ton of inventory ready.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: This is why Google should limit orders to 1 per shipping address during the initial release...

I don't have a phone I sold it.

Sorry, but lesson learned, then. Don't sell what you've got until you know the replacement is working. At least not for something you care about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MonsieurJohnny

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: This is why Google should limit orders to 1 per shipping address during the initial release...

Sorry, but lesson learned, then. Don't sell what you've got until you know the replacement is working. At least not for something you care about.

Sorry but no lesson was learned so stop talking. I never complained, nor is it that big of a deal. Also look up proper usage of commas.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

That's not a perfect system. I'm buying one for my girlfriend, and my dad is buying one (he's leaving Sprint). We have separate Google accounts. Imagine what the system would do under your scenario. There's only one real way to do it right: have a ton of inventory ready.

Agreed. And, of course, the problem has been that nexus has, until recently, been a niche product. Even Apple, who is very used to having a product with high initial demand, has shortages at the beginning of each launch, long lines of people at the stores, people trading large amounts of money or even organs for them, etc.

Google was building out the Nexus 4 long before the N7 shortages, and is a small-scale customer of LG. And the N7 launch could have been a fluke. 7 inch high-spec tablets for two hundred clams were revolutionary. So ordering increases in manufacturing and risking excess inventory of a product with razor-thin margins, even if it was possible, is not entirely advisable.

Judge Google for what they knew before launch... A release of the latest in a long line of niche product, salivated over by a small community of enthusiasts as usual, ignored by most pundits because it lacks LTE and other features any marketer would consider necessary for mobile phone success in 2012.

Had Google responded and stopped the release to build out sufficient inventory, no one would have one right now, and they wouldn't have the first batch in people's hands getting the feedback they need to detect manufacturing defects that can only really be seen in a large scale (eg. The screen lift on my Nexus 7). And we'd all be clamoring about the massive fail of the delayed launch.

Launching a high demand product with plenty of experience and warning is quite hard. Launching one you didn't think would be high demand is harder. Launching a high demand product you didn't know would be high demand and having no prior experience with high demand product? I'm amazed product is shipping.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

You didn't create, supply or deliver any of the device or products. Oh well, happens. Cry less and get back to work.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

Who cares about the demand of the product.....the problem here is those who stayed ALL night in order to get in on this order and placed an order within seconds of it going live are now in the dark because Google is stupid enough to not have ANY useful information and they can't even properly program something to sort by a specific time stamp. So forgetting about the stupid supply and demand even though I agree that this should have been limited to 2 per order.....Google had MANY fails at this launch and the real worthless jack*** here is Google who can't even do something that thousands of internet companies have mastered or at least become competent in.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Every time I read a complaint on this forum about Google's sales process, it just further reinforces my belief that Google isn't serious about being a retailer and Google isn't serious about the Nexus line.

Google needs to put in a better effort. But if they're not as serious about the Nexus line, we'll continue to see threads like this one.

As long as the Nexus gets into consumers' hands, I think Google is fine with that - however that happens.

Now here's the question - does Google's handling of the Nexus 7 launch and now the "botched" Nexus 4 launch dissuade you from buying Google's Nexus products? I mean - if you're really that upset about it, you wouldn't be supporting that company by buying or using their products.