Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

AndyPolidore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I've read this entire thread so I promise I'm not being lazy, but I'm still unclear on one thing. I am coming from an iPhone 4 which, correct me if I'm wrong, did not have hspa+. Thus, I have changed my APN settings to the "phone" settings. When I run speedtest I get about 2-2.5 down and 1 up on average. However, when data is being used on my phone it is listed as HSPA+ 15 network in my phone status in settings. Have we figured out if that is just a coincidence and I'm really not getting true HSPA+? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone " as my plan.

Thank you

Deborah Smith: I can switch you to a smartphone unlimited $30.00 smartphone plan instead of the iphone data plan. However, since this device does not have the built in AT&T internet settings you will not be able to achieve the 4g speeds that you can with an actual AT&T phone.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, why am I getting such garbage speeds. I thought NYC had a great network, I guess I was wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Location maybe? I live in Dallas, and the store and speed test in question were done while I was at work, which is in the suburbs. I just ran a speed test at home, where my signal strength isn't as good, and I only got 300 kbps down.

Maybe there are different locations in the city you can try?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Deborah Smith: I can switch you to a smartphone unlimited $30.00 smartphone plan instead of the iphone data plan. However, since this device does not have the built in AT&T internet settings you will not be able to achieve the 4g speeds that you can with an actual AT&T phone.

You need smartphone unlimited 4G, and we posted the setting you need so you will get 4G speeds

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Your missing some of the APN type.. This is what you should have for the bottom half of the settings...

And here is the fastest I've gotten and I'm on the 4G lte plan still

So folks, I got my Nexus 4 today and then came the process of calling AT&T and getting them to switch my unlimited 3g plan to an unlimited 4g hspa+ plan. I was all prepared with a fake Aprix 4G IMEI anticipating trouble since they won't be able to find the Nexus 4 in the system... but this was not the case! I gave the AT&T rep on the phone the IMEI from my Nexus 4, he immediately recognized it, switched me to unlimited 4G without a single hiccup!

I think AT&T updated their system with the N4...

Afterwards my dad speeds were still , I edited my APN settings with exactly the ones from above and I am up to 9MBPS downloading. Thanks a bunch everyone, and keep this in mind - no need to give fake IMEI numbers

AndyPolidore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You need smartphone unlimited 4G, and we posted the setting you need so you will get 4G speeds

I know I was just posting how unhelpful she was. The lady I spoke to on the phone was much more helpful. She said just find someone with an old 4G or 4G LTE phone and have them give me their IMEI and as long as their phone has a Micro-Sim as well then that should get me to the 4G plan. She said she couldn't do it manually. However, she also said it couldn't be a phone in use or it would get rejected which makes me hesitant to use a "generator" or something. Thoughts?

So folks, I got my Nexus 4 today and then came the process of calling AT&T and getting them to switch my unlimited 3g plan to an unlimited 4g hspa+ plan. I was all prepared with a fake Aprix 4G IMEI anticipating trouble since they won't be able to find the Nexus 4 in the system... but this was not the case! I gave the AT&T rep on the phone the IMEI from my Nexus 4, he immediately recognized it, switched me to unlimited 4G without a single hiccup!

I think AT&T updated their system with the N4...

Afterwards my dad speeds were still , I edited my APN settings with exactly the ones from above and I am up to 9MBPS downloading. Thanks a bunch everyone, and keep this in mind - no need to give fake IMEI numbers

Interesting. I think it's more likely you got a competent agent with the ability to manually set the data plan. I have seen a few people say they spoke to such a person, but many more say they couldn't do it manually even if they tried. They definitely couldn't use the Nexus 4 to automatically update my plan and that was just a few hours ago.

akwhite8

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issues.

LTE Unlimited 4G plan and I'm getting about 1.5-2 down. I've tried all the settings and can't get anything higher. Please help

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It could be the area you are in and the level of network congestion, etc. but it also maybe the APN type.

With my Galaxy Nexus, I was barely breaking 2Mbps down with a 4G smartphone plan and the "phone" apn configured, even in areas where friends and colleagues were obtaining 5-6Mbps down.

I did a little research into how exactly APNs work and what exactly needs to be configured to achieve the best speeds.

The APN tells the handset which PDN (Packet DATA Network) to request from the network and then the network examines the requesting handset to determine if the account holder is permitted to attach to that network (i.e. does the account holder have the correct data plan for the desired PDN).

One connected the APN tells the handset which types of services that specific APN is capable of. I discovered from research that fast download speeds (i.e. higher amounts of bandwidth being allocated to your handset for a specific time) are requested through the "hipri" APN type.

Once I added "hipri" to my list of APN types, my speeds greatly improved. I am now consistently seeing 5-8Mbps down and some as high as 12Mbps down.

Dan

audibink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
These are the proper setting for hspa+

I have tried many settings and my data is still crawling. I came from a Galaxy Note LTE. My plan online is listed as "Data Unlimited on 4G for LTE Smartphone"

Can someone please run me though the APN settings please.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
It could be the area you are in and the level of network congestion, etc. but it also maybe the APN type.

With my Galaxy Nexus, I was barely breaking 2Mbps down with a 4G smartphone plan and the "phone" apn configured, even in areas where friends and colleagues were obtaining 5-6Mbps down.

I did a little research into how exactly APNs work and what exactly needs to be configured to achieve the best speeds.

The APN tells the handset which PDN (Packet DATA Network) to request from the network and then the network examines the requesting handset to determine if the account holder is permitted to attach to that network (i.e. does the account holder have the correct data plan for the desired PDN).

One connected the APN tells the handset which types of services that specific APN is capable of. I discovered from research that fast download speeds (i.e. higher amounts of bandwidth being allocated to your handset for a specific time) are requested through the "hipri" APN type.

Once I added "hipri" to my list of APN types, my speeds greatly improved. I am now consistently seeing 5-8Mbps down and some as high as 12Mbps down.

Dan

Hipri is part of the phone APN... I know one guy posted a APN for phone without it but dunno where he got it

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
This is the fastest speed I have gotten... At ATL airport. On average in Orlando, I am between 2-4

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-09-08-09-21.png
    Screenshot_2012-12-09-08-09-21.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 34

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know why Speed test app says my data is over cellular and not HSPA. I even have the pta apn running and 4g LTE smartphone plan.

uploadfromtaptalk1355245709359.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
It is denoting the type of connection, cellular or WiFi.

It does not mean the type of cellular (i.e. GPRS, EDGE, etc.) connection.

Dan

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
It is denoting the type of connection, cellular or WiFi.

It does not mean the type of cellular (i.e. GPRS, EDGE, etc.) connection.

Dan

Not sure this is true. It shows LTE when on that network. From time to time, it shows HSPA. I see that extremely rarely. Maybe 1% of my speed test runs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I have never seen HSPA nor LTE as network types, but that does not mean it is not possible (as another poster has said he/she has seen it)

Dan

Ryan Mills

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread! It has been very useful... Here are my findings...

Got a Nexus 4. I'm new to ATT. Went into store. They gave me a SIM card and set me up on a Share Everything plan and sent me on my way. Got home, data doesn't work at all. Read this thread, figured out that I have to change my APN settings. Changed to the APN on page 2. Was only averaging 2mbs (which isn't bad). But further reading of this thread, it seems HSPA+ should be average around 8-12mbs. Did the whole "fake IMEI" setup with customer support to make sure I am on the HSPA+ plan. ATT now things I have an Infuse. After checking the status screen I do see that I am getting HSPA+ 15. NOTE: This changes to HSPA 10 when data is idle -- run a speedtest and check the status screen while it's running and you will see HSPA+ 15. After doing the "fake IMEI" I was still only averaging around 2mbs. So I chatted with Customer Support to verify everything was set up correctly. I then asked them what APN I should be using... Here is what he told me:

Name: Cingular 410
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: <Not set>
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set>

Plugged that in... averaging now 4mbs. Twice the APN on the second page. Also ran both APN's through speedtest to verify consistency. This APN was always better. Is anyone finding this APN worthy?

AndyPolidore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok I was FINALLY able to get it to work.

Tip 1: Call the tech support line not the customer service line.
Tip 2: Be prepared with a fake IMEI. I explained that I was using a fake one, but I doubt all the tech ppl are that cool. NONE of the customer service line people were. If you can't find one contact me.
Tip 3: You might as well use an LTE plan if you can, but you have to have a semi-new micro sim. I didn't so I had to use a fake Atrix 4g IMEI. I could get a new one, but I don't really care since I'm sure I'll never see band 4. Just make sure whatever phone you are spoofing has a micro sim.

Good luck!

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering, which mms setting is better 80 or 8080. Everyone says to use 8080 if mms isn't working but is there a downside to setting 8080?

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't figure out why the Speed Test app wouldn't work, so I finally put in the proper settings, and am getting HSPA+ I'm getting 5.27 down, and 1.5 up which isn't great, but I get poor service at home anyway. I'll be testing at work, and see what I can get. Going from 50mbps down to this will be tough but the rest of the phone should more than make up for it. I haven't ditched my LTE plan either, and don't plan on it. Some people say you have to, and other say you don't so I won't because it seems unnecessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol