Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Jiffer99000

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 today. I had to activate a new sim. I went into AT&T and most of them have never even seen this phone, they where really impressed! Also the IMEI doesn't exists in the AT&T databases they called corporate and had no clue what my IMEI was. This is not an issue however because you can have a manager override the IMEI and give you a dummy one. Now AT&T can't figure out what my phone is ;-) For me I have a unlimited data plan that I've been grandfathered into. (P.S. they asked me 100 times to change my plan to a different one--- THAT they are just trying to cut people out slowly) I got my phone activated then begin to hack the network to LTE. In order to do this you need to change a few things in the phone.

FYourProblems

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread! It has been very useful... Here are my findings...

Got a Nexus 4. I'm new to ATT. Went into store. They gave me a SIM card and set me up on a Share Everything plan and sent me on my way. Got home, data doesn't work at all. Read this thread, figured out that I have to change my APN settings. Changed to the APN on page 2. Was only averaging 2mbs (which isn't bad). But further reading of this thread, it seems HSPA+ should be average around 8-12mbs. Did the whole "fake IMEI" setup with customer support to make sure I am on the HSPA+ plan. ATT now things I have an Infuse. After checking the status screen I do see that I am getting HSPA+ 15. NOTE: This changes to HSPA 10 when data is idle -- run a speedtest and check the status screen while it's running and you will see HSPA+ 15. After doing the "fake IMEI" I was still only averaging around 2mbs. So I chatted with Customer Support to verify everything was set up correctly. I then asked them what APN I should be using... Here is what he told me:

Name: Cingular 410
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: <Not set>
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set>

Plugged that in... averaging now 4mbs. Twice the APN on the second page. Also ran both APN's through speedtest to verify consistency. This APN was always better. Is anyone finding this APN worthy?

That doesn't look right at all, you're missing a lot of things... have you tried the ones that people listed earlier in this thread? They worked great for me

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I've tried the APN settings in this thread, speeds are horribly slow - I've done the call to ATT&T Tech Support, made sure I was on a 4G plan, double checked the APN setting and still at a snails pace on data speeds.
I came from a S3 which had great download speeds even when I was not on LTE

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this thread! It has been very useful... Here are my findings...

Got a Nexus 4. I'm new to ATT. Went into store. They gave me a SIM card and set me up on a Share Everything plan and sent me on my way. Got home, data doesn't work at all. Read this thread, figured out that I have to change my APN settings. Changed to the APN on page 2. Was only averaging 2mbs (which isn't bad). But further reading of this thread, it seems HSPA+ should be average around 8-12mbs. Did the whole "fake IMEI" setup with customer support to make sure I am on the HSPA+ plan. ATT now things I have an Infuse. After checking the status screen I do see that I am getting HSPA+ 15. NOTE: This changes to HSPA 10 when data is idle -- run a speedtest and check the status screen while it's running and you will see HSPA+ 15. After doing the "fake IMEI" I was still only averaging around 2mbs. So I chatted with Customer Support to verify everything was set up correctly. I then asked them what APN I should be using... Here is what he told me:
I'm on an LTE plan and my phone originally came with those settings, but I was getting unbearably slow speeds. The speed test app wouldn't even register anything. I changed to the settings on the second page, and was averaging 5mbps down. The coverage isn't great at home so I'm anxious to test this at work where I get excellent coverage to see what I'm truly capable of here.
Name: Cingular 410
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: <Not set>
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not set>

Plugged that in... averaging now 4mbs. Twice the APN on the second page. Also ran both APN's through speedtest to verify consistency. This APN was always better. Is anyone finding this APN worthy?

audibink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
same issue here, I came from galaxy note on a LTE plan so I did not need to call AT&T. I tried many APN settings and I am getting terrible speeds. Kind of hard to troubleshoot!

I've tried the APN settings in this thread, speeds are horribly slow - I've done the call to ATT&T Tech Support, made sure I was on a 4G plan, double checked the APN setting and still at a snails pace on data speeds.
I came from a S3 which had great download speeds even when I was not on LTE

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
same issue here, I came from galaxy note on a LTE plan so I did not need to call AT&T. I tried many APN settings and I am getting terrible speeds. Kind of hard to troubleshoot!
Did a side by side test: My stock AT&T OneX with a non LTE signal vs. my new N4 - OneX showing a 4G signal averaged 7.5 Mbps down 3.4 Mbps up - N4 average 1.7 Mbps down 0.79 Mbps up :'(

Jordan Lewis

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have a very strange issue on ATT, no one else seems to have:
first, I got a new micro SIM and I'm on the correct 4g plan (I generated an IMEI for an ATRIX 4g to give to ATT).

about 2 to 10 minutes into a call the person the other end looses the ability to hear me. but I can hear them. so I hang up. at this point any calls in or outbound are silent in both directions. Bluetooth, Speakerphone or headset, same results. and at this point wifi and cellular signal bars are now gray. Reboot and the phone works again.

Does anyone have any ideas????? I may need to send the phone back. Do you think ATT has something provisioned wrong???

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a very strange issue on ATT, no one else seems to have:
first, I got a new micro SIM and I'm on the correct 4g plan (I generated an IMEI for an ATRIX 4g to give to ATT).

about 2 to 10 minutes into a call the person the other end looses the ability to hear me. but I can hear them. so I hang up. at this point any calls in or outbound are silent in both directions. Bluetooth, Speakerphone or headset, same results. and at this point wifi and cellular signal bars are now gray. Reboot and the phone works again.

Does anyone have any ideas????? I may need to send the phone back. Do you think ATT has something provisioned wrong???

Here is what I would do. First clear all apn data... Start from scratch.. Next I would do a factory restore, then set it up again.

akwhite8

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So my issue was that ATT has a wide variety of HSPA+ speeds. I was able to get about 7 last night.

However, I can't get MMS to work. I'm getting notifications when one is sent, but I can't see it. I also can't send. I've tried both 80 and 8080 for ports. Any ideas?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
So my issue was that ATT has a wide variety of HSPA+ speeds. I was able to get about 7 last night.

However, I can't get MMS to work. I'm getting notifications when one is sent, but I can't see it. I also can't send. I've tried both 80 and 8080 for ports. Any ideas?

Which MMS setting did you use?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
MMS not working here either, add this to my N4's horrible data connectivity and I think it is time to send it back to Google

Agreed my data connectivity has been intermittent, so I put my sim card back in my S3 for the time being. I have no landline, and I need my phone for work so until I can get things figured out I'll be using the S3 again.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed a couple of issues but not sure if they're related or not. I often notice, without moving the phone much, the signal will fluctuate greatly especially when coverage is moderate. It will go from about three bars to no coverage without moving. All to often I'll be sending a text message with android warning me that there is no network coverage when I had good coverage just a second ago. Sometimes after turning off, or leaving, WiFi coverage I notice that the signal bar will constantly cycle from grey to h/grey to h/blue then back to grey and do that constantly until i reboot the phone.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, having both APNs stored was my issue

Yea I seemed to get better data speeds an connection with just the phone APN... I deleted the others so I only had one in there, seemed to make difference

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm actually seeing the same speeds on both apns. I'm thinking that AT&Ts 4G network is congested in north MD.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Agreed my data connectivity has been intermittent, so I put my sim card back in my S3 for the time being. I have no landline, and I need my phone for work so until I can get things figured out I'll be using the S3 again.

Same here, I am tired of the issues with my N4, sending it back to Google - Back using my GS3 without issues

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Same here, I am tired of the issues with my N4, sending it back to Google - Back using my GS3 without issues

The Nexus 4 is just about the slickest device I have used to date, so I really want to get this figured out. I just can't imagine that switching to a 4G only plan is the only way to fix this. I'm not going to send mine back just yet, going to wait a few days, and see if I can get this fixed first.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
The APN settings I posted earlier work fine. I've gotten speeds over 9mbps and miss works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae