Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Has anyone just cut the SIM card down to micro SIM and put it in their Nexus 4 and not even tell AT&T?

If so did you have any problems? I am thinking of doing that. I currently have a GS2 Skyrocket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

I did. I have not received a new SIM since my Skyrocket on ATT. I cut it down and have used in it in my SGSIII and Note 2 and Nexus 4. Not really trying to keep them from knowing but sometimes going to the store can cause more issues than it solves.

I did noticed when my SIM was in my Nexus 4 and I checked something online in my account that it still said my device was a Note 2. it usually changes to the phone I am using.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8

I'm a little confused. I came from a SG III and I put the sim right in and my phone works fine. I get MMS and data seems to be relatively speedy. I know H+ never stays permanently. Are the settings that come up by default incorrect? What are the manual apn settings supposed to fix or help?

Quote Originally Posted by mosley04 View Post
    I'm a little confused. I came from a SG III and I put the sim right in and my phone works fine. I get MMS and data seems to be relatively speedy. I know H+ never stays permanently. Are the settings that come up by default incorrect? What are the manual apn settings supposed to fix or help?
    What carrier are you on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGSIV-I858 using Android Central Forums
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

At&T. I do notice that sometimes the bars randomly disappear even when I'm sitting in the same place in an area that has full coverage.

I went to the AT&T store, handed it to the guy, he cut it, handed it back. That's it. Nothing special required.

Quote Originally Posted by mosley04 View Post
    At&T. I do notice that sometimes the bars randomly disappear even when I'm sitting in the same place in an area that has full coverage.
    In am on ATT coming from iPhone 5 I just used the same Sim put the adapter on to change it from nano to micro and bam everything works I used the APN settings from this forum removed pta changed to phone and ways have all bars full H 10 and 15 speeds here are my resutls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-uploadfromtaptalk1359945971691.jpg  
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

I used the first apn settings I saw and I saw not much difference except that I could actually run speed test. What page shows the best settings.

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

Maybe one of you could help me with my settings... Right now im using the stock apn on a ATT gophone sim, it says H in the corner and im getting data BUT I can't clock my data speed with the speed test app. I can however test it at mobilespeedtest.com doing the 1mb test im getting speeds of around 2712kbps. I just wanna get the speed test app working just for ease of mind LOL. I had a pre 3 before and all they did at the store was change sims to a micro.

Your APN proxy needs to be set to a blank value. AT&T blocks speedtest.net otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziplock View Post
    Maybe one of you could help me with my settings... Right now im using the stock apn on a ATT gophone sim, it says H in the corner and im getting data BUT I can't clock my data speed with the speed test app. I can however test it at mobilespeedtest.com doing the 1mb test im getting speeds of around 2712kbps. I just wanna get the speed test app working just for ease of mind LOL. I had a pre 3 before and all they did at the store was change sims to a micro.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/

Global Posts
    249 Global Posts

thanks, I tried to leave it blank and it wouldnt save so I tried phone and it didnt work..... Do you know what I should put exactly in the apn proxy field? thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Timback2 View Post
    Hello,
    Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
    Does ATT have to set up with settings so MMS, Text messaging all that work?
    Thanks
    I went into an AT&T store and they activated it in 5 minutes. Gave me a microsim free of charge and I inserted it into my phone and was up and running. They were not allowed by policy to set the APN but the phone set up an AT&T APN on its own. My data downloads were initially a bit slow but I found a decent apn on one of the nexus 4 forums and I am now getting 9-10Mbps HSPA+ downloads in the SF Bay Area. MMS works great as well. No problems at all. I have Youmail running on my phone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rotusrotus View Post
    I went into an AT&T store and they activated it in 5 minutes. Gave me a microsim free of charge and I inserted it into my phone and was up and running. They were not allowed by policy to set the APN but the phone set up an AT&T APN on its own. My data downloads were initially a bit slow but I found a decent apn on one of the nexus 4 forums and I am now getting 9-10Mbps HSPA+ downloads in the SF Bay Area. MMS works great as well. No problems at all. I have Youmail running on my phone as well.
    The process at AT&T was extremely easy for me as well. Would you mind sharing which APN you're using?

Well I did it all myself! Last night I cut my regular SIM card from my Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Found a template online and cut it with some very sharp kitchen scissors. When I first tried to put it in the Micro SIM tray it was still way too big. So I had to cut a little extra plastic off and then I filed the edges. It then fit like a glove. Fired up my 16GB Nexus 4, everything synced from my Google account so effortlessly, connected it to my secure Wi-Fi at home, and all of my apps downloaded without any problems. I then got an OS update to 4.2.1. That installed fine.

I then went in and changed the APN settings to the ones quoted below from a post earlier in this thread. They changed without problems and my first speed test got 3.0 mbps down and 1.1 mbps up. That's not that great but I was at home and it's not the best spot to do a test. I will do other tests and report back. But at this point I have no complaints. I tested text messaging, phone calls, and basic web usage on AT&T HSPA+ with these APN settings and they were pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    Sure thing, here's what I've got.

Name: ATT LTE
    APN: PTA
    Proxy: not set
    Port: not set
    Unsername: not set
    Password: not set
    Server: not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentation Type: blank
    APN Type: default,mms,supl,hipri (I'm not sure if the order here matters) You can also try adding in "admin" as well.
    APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    APN roaming protocol IPv4/IPv6
    APN enable/disable checked and grayed
    out on my phone
    Bearer: unspecified

These were specified on XDA as the settings to use if you're coming from an S3(specifically with an S3 LTE sim, and data plan) Hope that helps!

Coming from a GS3 I just popped it in.. But! I now have to call ATT since they effed something up when I sold the s3 lol.

When you have a new Sim and you go to activate it. They usually ask for the IMEI number for the phone. That way you're on the right phone plan....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    PAST PHONES: iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, HTC One X, Samsung S3, Nexus 4, Blackberry Z10, iPhone 5
    CURRENT PHONE: Motorola Moto X
    OTHER DEVICES: Nexus 7, MacBook Pro (2008), Asus Win8 Laptop, ASUS Iconia Tab, Microsoft Surface RT, Custom Desktop Win7

Here is where I stand. I had a OneX on LTE. I popped my Sim in my nexus 4 and applied the necessary APN. I then called at&t and had my account changed from lte. My nexus 4 showed up in his comp right away and he knew lte wasn't compatible. So he supposedly changed it to the necessary data plan. I then changed my APN from pta to phone. I have data, MMS, voice. Everything. Except I'm only seeing anywhere from 1-5mbps with a high of 7 once.

I went online under my account and checked my features. The guy applied me to "data pro 3gb". It says nothing about 4g anywhere. So I was under the assumption I had to have it changed to a 4g hspa+ compatible plan. I chatted with a rep online a few minutes ago and I was told that there is absolutely no difference in the plans, they r universal, the only reason for variations in the name of the plan is for billing purposes. I guess at this point, I'm kind of just hoping everything is indeed correct I just don't have good hspa+ in my area. But I do find it strange BC I had lte on my Onex. Is it possible an area has lte and NOT hspa+ ? Would I see a high of 5 or 7 Mbps and an average of 2-3mbps on normal hspa?

Sound right to anyone. ?

Here is what I am avg using the same APN I used my nano Sim from the iPhone 5 did not have to involve att

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-uploadfromtaptalk1360086883303.jpg  
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

I'm having a little problem and I'm guessing it could be an APN setting?

Especially at my home I will notice my bars toggle between the "H" over them and just the bars. Well I've found out I need that H because otherwise mobile data is not there. Is there something in my settings I can tweak? I know HSPA+ is excellent in my entire area because I used it on my old GS2.

Quote Originally Posted by patstock11 View Post
    Here is where I stand. I had a OneX on LTE. I popped my Sim in my nexus 4 and applied the necessary APN. I then called at&t and had my account changed from lte. My nexus 4 showed up in his comp right away and he knew lte wasn't compatible. So he supposedly changed it to the necessary data plan. I then changed my APN from pta to phone. I have data, MMS, voice. Everything. Except I'm only seeing anywhere from 1-5mbps with a high of 7 once.

I went online under my account and checked my features. The guy applied me to "data pro 3gb". It says nothing about 4g anywhere. So I was under the assumption I had to have it changed to a 4g hspa+ compatible plan. I chatted with a rep online a few minutes ago and I was told that there is absolutely no difference in the plans, they r universal, the only reason for variations in the name of the plan is for billing purposes. I guess at this point, I'm kind of just hoping everything is indeed correct I just don't have good hspa+ in my area. But I do find it strange BC I had lte on my Onex. Is it possible an area has lte and NOT hspa+ ? Would I see a high of 5 or 7 Mbps and an average of 2-3mbps on normal hspa?

Sound right to anyone. ?

Yeah that all sounds right. I didn't call AT&T to change anything because I already have the "Data Pro 3Gb for Smartphone 4G LTE"

Quote Originally Posted by mr_hicksta View Post
    The process at AT&T was extremely easy for me as well. Would you mind sharing which APN you're using?
    Created a new APN

Name - att hspa+
    APN - phone
    Proxy - Not set
    Port - Not set
    Username - Not set
    Password - Not set
    Server - Not set
    MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port - 80
    MCC - 310
    MNC - 410
    Authentication Type - Not set
    APN Type - default, supl, mms,hipri
    APN Protocol - IPv4
    APN Roaming Protocol - IPv4
    Bearer - unspecified

Quote Originally Posted by rotusrotus View Post
    Created a new APN

Name - att hspa+
    APN - phone
    Proxy - Not set
    Port - Not set
    Username - Not set
    Password - Not set
    Server - Not set
    MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port - 80
    MCC - 310
    MNC - 410
    Authentication Type - Not set
    APN Type - default, supl, mms,hipri
    APN Protocol - IPv4
    APN Roaming Protocol - IPv4
    Bearer - unspecified
    Hmm this one doesn't look that much different than the one posted a few pages ago that I quoted. Only difference I see is the APN Protocol set to IPv4 only and not IPv4/IPv6. What does that do?

By the way I changed my APN to phone from PTA and now I get the "H" next to my bars all the time, getting rid of the problem. I'm still only getting 1-3 mbps down. Even though those numbers are low, my web browsing speeds feels just as fast as it was on my HSPA+ on my Galaxy S2.

Quote Originally Posted by ShashankNegi View Post
    I went to the AT&T store, handed it to the guy, he cut it, handed it back. That's it. Nothing special required.
    REALLY! I went to T-mobile and they swapped my reg sim for a micro sim I didn't have to cut anything myself. Not only that they put it in and checked to make sure the phone was working properly. ATT is tough.

Ahh ha!! After doing a lot of Google searching, I found an old article from back in December.

Go to this link: How to: AT&T LTE APN Settings for Nexus 4 to get 4G Speed - DonAndroid

Scroll to the bottom past all the Steps. Oh and I am using the APN settings listed in "Step 3" of that link. Anyway right below that where it says Optional Do those 3 steps and you will see significant speed increases! After selecting the preferred network option type LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) my download speeds jumped a lot! Oh and I tried the "LTE only", doesn't work, you won't get any data, the bars will be empty.
    Ziplock likes this.

So just hoping to see if someone would want to help provide some clarity to my situation. I haven't seen in any posts where someone was upgrading from an iphone 3gs to a Nexus 4. That's what I am doing (probably does not change the scenario much). I am grandfathered at&t unlimited plan so I want to be as cautious as possible and some posts on this thread have frightened me a bit. So is the general consensus to obtain and give them a IMEI from an LTE/4g phone that I do not own and just put in the new mini sim in and then attempt to change some settings from there and not tell them about the change of phone? I read previously, supposedly ATT is doing something to resolve Nexus 4 IMEI's that they have received. I just got my shipping notification and my 3gs is absolutely shot so I am looking forward to jumping to Android and hopefully a somewhat seamless transition, while attempting to obtain my unlimited at&t plan. Thanks in advance.

ROM
    Stock / Stock

AT&T - Ontario California

I dont know why its so slow. I've tried every APN I can find. If I use the default APN speed test only shows ping but download and upload dont work.

Anybody got any advice? I had to leave sprint to get the Nexus 4. I already tried T-Mo and even though the website says they have great coverage in my area all I got was edge. Strange thing is I tried straight talk with an att sim and was regularly getting 6 to 8mb down. Now that I have the real att and not straight talk I'm getting much slower speeds.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast