Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    Ahh ha!! After doing a lot of Google searching, I found an old article from back in December.

Go to this link:

Scroll to the bottom past all the Steps. Oh and I am using the APN settings listed in "Step 3" of that link. Anyway right below that where it says Optional Do those 3 steps and you will see significant speed increases! After selecting the preferred network option type LTE/GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) my download speeds jumped a lot! Oh and I tried the "LTE only", doesn't work, you won't get any data, the bars will be empty.
    Yes I'm quoting myself. Lol. I've still had the old problem of the "H" dropping next to my bars. That means no data only voice. So I went into my APN settings and changed both APN protocols to IPv4 only and so far that has fixed it. Not sure what IPv4 and IPv6 are and how they act but getting rid of IPv6 did the trick so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Nexus 4 (Feb 2013 - Present)
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (2011-2013)
    Verizon OG Droid (2009 - 2011)
    ASUS Transformer Pad TF300 (May 2012 - Present)

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DM_Droid View Post
    Yes I'm quoting myself. Lol. I've still had the old problem of the "H" dropping next to my bars. That means no data only voice. So I went into my APN settings and changed both APN protocols to IPv4 only and so far that has fixed it. Not sure what IPv4 and IPv6 are and how they act but getting rid of IPv6 did the trick so far.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Here is a link describing ipv4 and ipv6
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
    AT&T - Ontario California

I dont know why its so slow. I've tried every APN I can find. If I use the default APN speed test only shows ping but download and upload dont work.

Anybody got any advice? I had to leave sprint to get the Nexus 4. I already tried T-Mo and even though the website says they have great coverage in my area all I got was edge. Strange thing is I tried straight talk with an att sim and was regularly getting 6 to 8mb down. Now that I have the real att and not straight talk I'm getting much slower speeds.

With the exception of one of your speed tests, those speeds are normal from my experience.

While I have peeked @ 11Mbps a few times I usually am in the 2-4Mbps range.

Dan

I just went from an At&t Note to a Nexus 4. I went in to the store, the guy cut the sim (said a new one is $30), we popped it in and rebooted. Took him 2 tries to get the system to take the IMEI but it did and I am getting hspa+. I was expecting a bigger problem but everything seems to be working fine.

Both guys were iPhone guys and didn't really know about the Nexus 4. After messing with it for a little bit they both seemed really impressed with it.
    TvTechGuru and pugnuttt like this.

Here are my setting in came from the iPhone with lte did not have to have my plan changed and u get excellent down speeds avg 7-9 mb up. These are the APN that I use and yes I did use the Sim adapter since the iphone5 has s nano Sim.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-uploadfromtaptalk1360384306456.jpg   Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-uploadfromtaptalk1360384317107.jpg   Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-uploadfromtaptalk1360384325794.jpg  
    PhoneJunkie

Iphone 5s
    HTC One (M8)
    Nexus 5

Sold (HTC One X, iPhone 4s, Ipad Mini, Galaxy S3, and S4 LG Optimus G Pro)

Hey guys, good thread. I'm expecting my N4 to arrive tomorrow. I'm currently using an iPhone 5 on an (grandfathered) unlimited LTE data plan. I'd prefer to keep it, but not at the expense of decent data speeds.

I called my local AT&T retailer and the guy I talked to (who claims he's done a handful of these transactions) said if I want to keep my unlimited data, I need to stay on the LTE iPhone data plan I'm currently on, but that it's not a problem, and as long as I change some APN settings it works fine on the N4. It seems a few posters in this thread have had this same experience. Just thought I'd chime in. I will report back and let you know if it works, and if so, I'll post my speedtest results.
    Thanked by:

OK, here's what happened to me.

Stopped at AT&T to pick up a MicroSIM on my way home. They asked if I wanted them to activate it then and I said no. I'd rather use the online chat function. The guy I got (Gerald something) was really nice and it seemed like he's done this a few times. He got me set up and told me to turn the phone on and see if data worked. It did.

Looks like he switched me to "Data Unlimited for Smartphone Personal" (I had iPhone 5 LTE Unlimited before) and he said I would be able to get HSPA+ 4g. Is this true?

I do indeed see HSPA+ 15 when I'm using data.

MMS confirmed as working.

Pulling 3-5 down, 1.5 up.

One note, when I had both APN's saved, I was dropping service completely and wasn't even getting 1mb down. When I deleted the default APN completely, it more than tripled.
    Last edited by Drewfromutah; 02-13-2013 at 06:10 PM.

***quote***
    AT&T - Ontario California

I dont know why its so slow. I've tried every APN I can find. If I use the default APN speed test only shows ping but download and upload dont work.

Anybody got any advice? I had to leave sprint to get the Nexus 4. I already tried T-Mo and even though the website says they have great coverage in my area all I got was edge. Strange thing is I tried straight talk with an att sim and was regularly getting 6 to 8mb down. Now that I have the real att and not straight talk I'm getting much slower speeds.
    ***end quote***

Hi,

Claremont, CA - ATT here. I get about the same speeds as you (only sometimes I can get 6Mbps down, but that is rare). I took the sim card out of my iphone 4 (not S) whose 2 year contract was up. When I called to get voicemail fixed (from visual vm to normal vm so that I can use GV for vm), they switched me from unlimited iphone data (grandfathered) to unlimited smartphone data (generic, non-iphone data). I tried the pta APN, and could not get data... only the phone APN worked. I checked to see if the data was 4g capable, and no, it wasn't. I called att and got the data enabled for 4g without any hiccups (did not ask me for imei). I just told them I have an android with LTE.

I still have no luck with the pta APN. I've been hunting for a cure, and I'm beginning to think that my sim card might not be 4g capable. Some people are saying that some old sim cards are not provisioned for 4g or lte for that matter. Can anyone comment on this? I just looked at my sim card, and there is no 4g or 3g written on either face. It is the original sim card i got with my iphone 4 from over 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfromutah View Post
    OK, here's what happened to me.

Stopped at AT&T to pick up a MicroSIM on my way home. They asked if I wanted them to activate it then and I said no. I'd rather use the online chat function. The guy I got (Gerald something) was really nice and it seemed like he's done this a few times. He got me set up and told me to turn the phone on and see if data worked. It did.

Looks like he switched me to "Data Unlimited for Smartphone Personal" (I had iPhone 5 LTE Unlimited before) and he said I would be able to get HSPA+ 4g. Is this true?

I do indeed see HSPA+ 15 when I'm using data.

MMS confirmed as working.

Pulling 3-5 down, 1.5 up.

One note, when I had both APN's saved, I was dropping service completely and wasn't even getting 1mb down. When I deleted the default APN completely, it more than tripled.
    I used the APN settings cash it out posted. I just popped my iPhone 5 sim, with adapter, into the n4 and get 5-7 down

Hi this is what i have figured out. It all depends on the plan you have on your Service.

If you have and LTE plan, AT&T will need to have an LTE IMEI for the service from an LTE phone, then you will need to use the LTE APN. which is the PTA - APN. you can easily find this online.

If you are coming from an HSPA+ plans the same applies. HSPA+ plan - HSPA+ IMEI - use HSPA+ APN. Which is the phone APN.

Either method will work it all depends on your service plan. If anyone of these three things do not match you will have inconsistent service.

Hope this helps

I should have my N4 by tomorrow, I plan on using a IMEI number from an Atrix HD and configuring my device with PTA - APN. I'm currently running speed tests with my iphone 4 for baselines, my N4 should be faster. Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Parth Ghetia View Post
    It's the way AT&T provisions SIM card for LTE devices. You have to call back and have them provision your SIM for HSPA+ (no LTE) and then data will work on your Nexus 4 apparently.
    I know I'm late to this conversation, but I work at an at&t franchise so I figure I could help with this, at&t provisions iphones with a different feature than any other smartphone (they do it with blackberrys as well) so you need to get at&t to switch your data plan from an iphone data plan to a "normal" smartphone data plan
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I've been trying to get my data plan changed to unlimited 4g smartphone and just can't seem to get anyone to do it right. I even gave then the imei from a 4g hspa+ phone and still nothing. I've gone to the store, chatted online. What are my options?

I've been reading throught this thread with interest but am still a bit confused. I'm picking up a brand new unlocked nexus 4 next week and was wondering if I put these this sim in ( cut down to micro size) and top up with this , will it give me 3g data access? Thanks for the help.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

Took my Sim card out my LTE lumia 900 and it worked.. No worries..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by dcjose48 View Post
    I've been trying to get my data plan changed to unlimited 4g smartphone and just can't seem to get anyone to do it right. I even gave then the imei from a 4g hspa+ phone and still nothing. I've gone to the store, chatted online. What are my options?
    Nothing. That's what I'm doing. AT&T seems incapable of getting that right. Why is the IMEI number so important? They want to verify what else that can charge you with or if it's one of their phones. Other than that, the information is worthless to them. They need the serial number of the SIM for the connection and a plan to go with it, but because of their cross sell attempts we can only get HSPA and not HSPA+ without a fake IMEI number. As much as I have nothing to complain about their service since over 10 years, this is absurd.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by grumpycompuprof View Post
    ...but because of their cross sell attempts we can only get HSPA and not HSPA+ without a fake IMEI number.
    I don't think this is accurate. I've activated my Nexus 4 on AT&T's GoPhone service and have no problem getting HSPA+. I activated my phone using it's legitimate IMEI number, not a fake one.

Quote Originally Posted by RTNDO128 View Post
    I don't think this is accurate. I've activated my Nexus 4 on AT&T's GoPhone service and have no problem getting HSPA+. I activated my phone using it's legitimate IMEI number, not a fake one.
    Does your phone display H or H+ in the notification bar?

H+. It idles at H and immediately switches to H+ when there's a demand for data.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT-screenshot_2013-07-12-14-19-50.png  
    Last edited by RTNDO128; 07-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTNDO128 View Post
    H+. It idles at H and immediately switches to H+ when there's a demand for data.
    Interesting. I'm on post paid and have never seen the H+, even though I'm getting the speeds. I know mine is doing the same. When I check mobile network type, I get HSPA:10 when idle and HSPA:15 when in use.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    Interesting. I'm on post paid and have never seen the H+, even though I'm getting the speeds. I know mine is doing the same. When I check mobile network type, I get HSPA:10 when idle and HSPA:15 when in use.

I know the stock ROM does exactly what you're describing. Some custom ROMs have the H+ symbol, I'm on CyanogenMod 10 personally. As long as the mobile network type says HSPA+, that's all that matters.
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 12131415