Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

eliter1

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My Mobile Network Type does fluctuate between HSPA 10 and HSPA 15. If you get no data at all check with AT&T, for some reason they canceled my data plan. The rep couldn't re-add my grandfathered unlimited plan so I have to get someone higher up the chain to do it.

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I activated an AT&T micro sim today and put it in the Nexus 4. The default APN (wap.cingular) works, and I have seen speeds just under 8 Mb (7.X). I see it on HSPA+ from time to time but my ping times are always high when running a speed test.

The odd thing is that I cannot run a Speed Test with the speedtest app. Ping works, download always reports 0.01 and upload gets me around 0.6. If I enable the hotspot and tether my 4S or the computer, I can see between 2 and 7 Mbps.

A8wMIXUCAAAXPx4.png

Why can't I run Speedtest on the phone properly? Works perfectly with my T-Mobile SIM (trying out both networks).

A8uk947CUAA1EA6.png

Last edited:

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: blank
Port: blank
Unsername: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: blank
Server: blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentation Type: blank
APN Type: default,supl,mms
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol
APN enable/disable checked and grayed
out on my phone
Bearer: unspecified.

This is how it's set up on my phome and works the best for data. I got this settings from an app on the playstore. I reccomend getting it becuse it will find the settings that are available for the typed of sim card you have. My micro-sim came out of a Note 2 and it had three APN's and only one works well with the N4.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.OfflineSIMAPNDatabasePro&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5PZmZsaW5lU0lNQVBORGF0YWJhc2VQcm8iXQ..

these are not the HSPA+ setting that work best from what ive read.. these are the default att smarphone settings.. and the phone is suppose to come with the right APN setting preset in the phone from the factory according to google.. so you shouldnt of changed them , just added it to you line, popped a sim in and made sure you had a 4g HSPA+ plan

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
change the APN setting to HSPA+ settings and make sure you have a smartphone 4G plan.. if you have a reg smartphone or LTE plan it wont work properly.. you probably just getting HSPA not real HSPA+

havanahjoe

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
change the APN setting to HSPA+ settings and make sure you have a smartphone 4G plan.. if you have a reg smartphone or LTE plan it wont work properly.. you probably just getting HSPA not real HSPA+

EDIT

I called AT&T and had them put me on a 4G plan. It took them a while to finally find a dummy phone that is 4G HSPA+, so if you call, have them use the Inspire 4G so that they can attach the Smartphone 4G Plan.

I can now run the Speedtest and am getting lower latency, meaning I am using HSPA+

I used this APN:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
APN: phone
Proxy: Blank
Port: Blank
Username: blank
Password: blank
Server: blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Blank
APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri
APN protocol: IPV4/IPV6
Bearer: leave as is

Last edited:

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
EDIT

I called AT&T and had them put me on a 4G plan. It took them a while to finally find a dummy phone that is 4G HSPA+, so if you call, have them use the Inspire 4G so that they can attach the Smartphone 4G Plan.

I can now run the Speedtest and am getting lower latency, meaning I am using HSPA+

I used this APN:

This should be a sticky thread in benefit of ATT users.

Like you mentioned, I had to call A&T after booting up my Nexus 4 and noticing that even though I could browse the web, and download apps via Cell Data, the speeds weren't that good.

And like you, the speedtest app wouldn't run the test after ping.

I had to give a friends EMEI of a Galaxy S2 and they where able to change my Plan from an iPhone 4S plan to a "DataPro 2 GB for Smartphones on 4G" plan.

Still, AFTER changing the APN settings to HSPA+ as showed here is when I was able to run the Speedtest app and my Speeds are a bit higher than on my 4S.

I normally had a max of 9MBPS with my 4S in my home.

Right off the bat I got 13.8 MBPS with the HSPA+ settings.

Thanx!!

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Question, Im on a ATT employee plan so changing things to an hspa+ plan won't be very easy at all. What I want to know is if I just change the APN settings should I be good? There is no HSPA+ where I am now according to the phone I'm on HSPA10.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Question, Im on a ATT employee plan so changing things to an hspa+ plan won't be very easy at all. What I want to know is if I just change the APN settings should I be good? There is no HSPA+ where I am now according to the phone I'm on HSPA10.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
if you dont have a smartphone 4g plan and the proper HSPA+ APN settings you wont get HSPA+ speeds or be able to show HSPA+ on your phone.. it shouldnt be that hard to change, all you need is any 4G non-LTE phone IMEI to enter on your account to assign the 4G data plan.. then put the sim in the nexus 4.. i believe you can then change the IMEI to the nexus and just not change the plan.. NOt 100% sure on that part since i havent gotten my 4 yet, but ive done enough research to know what you need to do to get the full potential out of your nexus on AT&T..

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
did you check to see if MMS worked? some of the info i found stated that you had to make a seperate APN for mms using the wap.cingular setting for just mms.. but the hspa settings they were using didnt have as much detail as the latest i posted

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
if you dont have a smartphone 4g plan and the proper HSPA+ APN settings you wont get HSPA+ speeds or be able to show HSPA+ on your phone.. it shouldnt be that hard to change, all you need is any 4G non-LTE phone IMEI to enter on your account to assign the 4G data plan.. then put the sim in the nexus 4.. i believe you can then change the IMEI to the nexus and just not change the plan.. NOt 100% sure on that part since i havent gotten my 4 yet, but ive done enough research to know what you need to do to get the full potential out of your nexus on AT&T..

Ok Ill have to talk with my account exec about it she should be able to get it set up. Yea I noticed in speedtest my speeds are horrible (in the kbs) which even if on only HSPA10 it should get better speeds than that right?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
yes they should if they had you on a 4g plan you would get decent speeds, then when you change your APN settings to the proper setting they will get even faster

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
yes they should if they had you on a 4g plan you would get decent speeds, then when you change your APN settings to the proper setting they will get even faster

Perfect I hope, Ill have to get my plan changed from LTE to HSPA+. Hopefully the speeds improve

bbhybridchris

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I am beginning to think it is hit or miss with this....I had an iphone 5 with an LTE plan got my nexus 4 tonite put the sim card in and used the apn settings above. Works fine for me mms, hspa+, voice, voicemail...no issues whatsoever and I didn't have to call AT&T or switch my plan.

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I am beginning to think it is hit or miss with this....I had an iphone 5 with an LTE plan got my nexus 4 tonite put the sim card in and used the apn settings above. Works fine for me mms, hspa+, voice, voicemail...no issues whatsoever and I didn't have to call AT&T or switch my plan.

I was wondering how this would work being as I am in a similar situation but own a GS3 at the moment. I'm not sure that I'll be using the Nexus 4 alone because once my GS3 gets JB I'll want to switch back, and check it out. I don't want to have to cancel my LTE to downgrade to HSPA+, would like to be able to swap back to my GS3 when necessary. This gives me hope, thanks!

Why does speedtest.net test at only kbps range?
I noticed on my GS3 is shows up in kbps range, but on my iPad it shows up in mbps. I have been wondering this as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463