Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

change the APN setting to HSPA+ settings and make sure you have a smartphone 4G plan.. if you have a reg smartphone or LTE plan it wont work properly.. you probably just getting HSPA not real HSPA+

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    change the APN setting to HSPA+ settings and make sure you have a smartphone 4G plan.. if you have a reg smartphone or LTE plan it wont work properly.. you probably just getting HSPA not real HSPA+
    EDIT

I called AT&T and had them put me on a 4G plan. It took them a while to finally find a dummy phone that is 4G HSPA+, so if you call, have them use the Inspire 4G so that they can attach the Smartphone 4G Plan.

I can now run the Speedtest and am getting lower latency, meaning I am using HSPA+

I used this APN:

Name: AT&T HSPA+
    APN: phone
    Proxy: Blank
    Port: Blank
    Username: blank
    Password: blank
    Server: blank
    MMSC:
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type: Blank
    APN Type: default,supl,mms,hipri
    APN protocol: IPV4/IPV6
    Bearer: leave as is
    Last edited by havanahjoe; 11-28-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Thanked by 6:
    FYourProblems, mashruk and luke m like this.

Would an iPhone 4S plan count as a 4G plan?

no iphone data is different.. it might not work right

Quote Originally Posted by havanahjoe View Post
    EDIT

I called AT&T and had them put me on a 4G plan. It took them a while to finally find a dummy phone that is 4G HSPA+, so if you call, have them use the Inspire 4G so that they can attach the Smartphone 4G Plan.

I can now run the Speedtest and am getting lower latency, meaning I am using HSPA+

I used this APN:
    This should be a sticky thread in benefit of ATT users.

Like you mentioned, I had to call A&T after booting up my Nexus 4 and noticing that even though I could browse the web, and download apps via Cell Data, the speeds weren't that good.

And like you, the speedtest app wouldn't run the test after ping.

I had to give a friends EMEI of a Galaxy S2 and they where able to change my Plan from an iPhone 4S plan to a "DataPro 2 GB for Smartphones on 4G" plan.

Still, AFTER changing the APN settings to HSPA+ as showed here is when I was able to run the Speedtest app and my Speeds are a bit higher than on my 4S.

I normally had a max of 9MBPS with my 4S in my home.

Right off the bat I got 13.8 MBPS with the HSPA+ settings.

Thanx!!
    Dramer77 and joeydj4u like this.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Question, Im on a ATT employee plan so changing things to an hspa+ plan won't be very easy at all. What I want to know is if I just change the APN settings should I be good? There is no HSPA+ where I am now according to the phone I'm on HSPA10.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jweimn View Post
    Question, Im on a ATT employee plan so changing things to an hspa+ plan won't be very easy at all. What I want to know is if I just change the APN settings should I be good? There is no HSPA+ where I am now according to the phone I'm on HSPA10.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    if you dont have a smartphone 4g plan and the proper HSPA+ APN settings you wont get HSPA+ speeds or be able to show HSPA+ on your phone.. it shouldnt be that hard to change, all you need is any 4G non-LTE phone IMEI to enter on your account to assign the 4G data plan.. then put the sim in the nexus 4.. i believe you can then change the IMEI to the nexus and just not change the plan.. NOt 100% sure on that part since i havent gotten my 4 yet, but ive done enough research to know what you need to do to get the full potential out of your nexus on AT&T..

did you check to see if MMS worked? some of the info i found stated that you had to make a seperate APN for mms using the wap.cingular setting for just mms.. but the hspa settings they were using didnt have as much detail as the latest i posted

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

if you dont have a smartphone 4g plan and the proper HSPA+ APN settings you wont get HSPA+ speeds or be able to show HSPA+ on your phone.. it shouldnt be that hard to change, all you need is any 4G non-LTE phone IMEI to enter on your account to assign the 4G data plan.. then put the sim in the nexus 4.. i believe you can then change the IMEI to the nexus and just not change the plan.. NOt 100% sure on that part since i havent gotten my 4 yet, but ive done enough research to know what you need to do to get the full potential out of your nexus on AT&T..
    Ok Ill have to talk with my account exec about it she should be able to get it set up. Yea I noticed in speedtest my speeds are horrible (in the kbs) which even if on only HSPA10 it should get better speeds than that right?

yes they should if they had you on a 4g plan you would get decent speeds, then when you change your APN settings to the proper setting they will get even faster

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

yes they should if they had you on a 4g plan you would get decent speeds, then when you change your APN settings to the proper setting they will get even faster
    Perfect I hope, Ill have to get my plan changed from LTE to HSPA+. Hopefully the speeds improve

I am beginning to think it is hit or miss with this....I had an iphone 5 with an LTE plan got my nexus 4 tonite put the sim card in and used the apn settings above. Works fine for me mms, hspa+, voice, voicemail...no issues whatsoever and I didn't have to call AT&T or switch my plan.
    Thanked by:
    XChrisX likes this.

I think that just means that an iPhone 5 Plan should do the job too.

Iphone 4S plans, won't.

Why does speedtest.net test at only kbps range?

Quote Originally Posted by bbhybridchris View Post
    I am beginning to think it is hit or miss with this....I had an iphone 5 with an LTE plan got my nexus 4 tonite put the sim card in and used the apn settings above. Works fine for me mms, hspa+, voice, voicemail...no issues whatsoever and I didn't have to call AT&T or switch my plan.
    I was wondering how this would work being as I am in a similar situation but own a GS3 at the moment. I'm not sure that I'll be using the Nexus 4 alone because once my GS3 gets JB I'll want to switch back, and check it out. I don't want to have to cancel my LTE to downgrade to HSPA+, would like to be able to swap back to my GS3 when necessary. This gives me hope, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    Why does speedtest.net test at only kbps range?
    I noticed on my GS3 is shows up in kbps range, but on my iPad it shows up in mbps. I have been wondering this as well.
    Living large with my Galaxy Note 3!!!

I currently have an iPhone 4S and waiting on my Nexus 4 and plan to just put the sim in the Nexus and use with my current plan until my contract runs out in May.
    I can currently run the speedtest app and in some locations get speeds in the 6mb range... so I would have to think that it's set to use HSPA+ no?
    I never had to call AT&T to change anything going from an iPhone 2G > 3GS > 4S.

no iphone data is different.. it might not work right

In the app settings you can choose to show results in kbps or mbps

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXe View Post
    I noticed on my GS3 is shows up in kbps range, but on my iPad it shows up in mbps. I have been wondering this as well.
    Thanked by:
    six8 
    six8 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    I currently have an iPhone 4S and waiting on my Nexus 4 and plan to just put the sim in the Nexus and use with my current plan until my contract runs out in May.
    I can currently run the speedtest app and in some locations get speeds in the 6mb range... so I would have to think that it's set to use HSPA+ no?
    I never had to call AT&T to change anything going from an iPhone 2G > 3GS > 4S.
    if you bought it in store they automatically setup the plan properly..

I'm on at&t and have an lte plan, will that work with the nexus 4 for hspa+?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

did you check to see if MMS worked? some of the info i found stated that you had to make a seperate APN for mms using the wap.cingular setting for just mms.. but the hspa settings they were using didnt have as much detail as the latest i posted
    MMS works with the phone APN. This morning I am having issues though, my data connection keeps dropping, so I edited the APN and changed it to IPV4 only. Not sure if having IPV4/IPV6 was causing the problem, since it had been working yesterday

I'm on the regular unlimited LTE plan as I have an HTC One X. I just popped the SIM out of my One X and put it in the Nexus 4 and it worked. It was a little slow so I updated the APN settings and I was getting HSPA+ speeds. The only issue was the speedtest app was not working other than for ping.

Edit: The phone was reading HSPA+ as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aireyc1 View Post
    IThe only issue was the speedtest app was not working other than for ping.

Edit: The phone was reading HSPA+ as well.
    The speedtest app would not work for me using the wap.cingular APN, but before my plan was upgraded I was unable to use the phone APN, I would get no data. So it looks like yours is working, but it's odd that the speedtest app will not work. What do your ping times look like on the app? HSPA+ should have around 100 ms or less (to a local server)

The speedtest app would not work for me using the wap.cingular APN, but before my plan was upgraded I was unable to use the phone APN, I would get no data. So it looks like yours is working, but it's odd that the speedtest app will not work. What do your ping times look like on the app? HSPA+ should have around 100 ms or less (to a local server)
    My ping is around 222. 7kbps down 512k up

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    My ping is around 222. 7kbps down 512k up
    Hmm, you're definitely not using the right APN. Is the new APN (or the modified one) active on your APN screen? I had to delete the default wap.cingular from my list since it was using that one by default. Another symptom of using the wrong APN (and being on the wrong plan) was that speedtest app would detect me in Texas, since the public IP I was coming from was the same everyone else is NATted to. Once I used the right APN, speedtest.net detects me in San Diego and uses the local server.

Hmm, you're definitely not using the right APN. Is the new APN (or the modified one) active on your APN screen? I had to delete the default wap.cingular from my list since it was using that one by default. Another symptom of using the wrong APN (and being on the wrong plan) was that speedtest app would detect me in Texas, since the public IP I was coming from was the same everyone else is NATted to. Once I used the right APN, speedtest.net detects me in San Diego and uses the local server.
    How do I find out?
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast