Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    You don't "activate" GSM phones. You activate the SIM and put it in.

Go to AT&T, tell them you want to start a plan and you're bringing your own phone. They'll activate and give you a SIM, you'll be good to go.
    I tried that before with my gnex and was told that I had to purchase a new phone with a contract, they wanted nothing to do with my Nexus. Anyone else have this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    How do I find out?
    This is the wrong plan:

This is the right plan:

Once the plan is changed and you have the right APN (don't use wap.cingular), you should now be able to run speed tests in the speedtest app and you should see lower latency.

Here's a result from this morning at home with AT&T:

Here's a speed test ran on my laptop tethered to the phone before the plan change:

Notice the high latency. This was also run at home.

Hope this helps

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

I have the Nexus, went into an AT&T store and got a micro-SIM from them. The attendant asked for the IMEI number and was psyched when I let him play with the Nexus. So I can only hope that my data plan is correctly provisioned (I have the unlimited plan).

The reason I say I have to hope, is that I just called AT&T tech support to make sure my plan is 4G enabled, and the guy told me AT&T will not have anything to do with helping me because I don't have one of their phones. After a bit of back and forth about what they won't do, the guy HUNG UP ON ME! WTF?! I just saved then $700 by sticking with my old plan & lot buying a new phone, and the guy hangs up on me!?! What kind of service is that?

The only difference is the UMTS tracking feature? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM"
    I would assume I do not need to change my data plan, since the iPhone should be configured to pick up HSPA+ regardless. All I would need to do when I get the Nexus would be configure the APN settings.

Mine says:
    Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S

Quote Originally Posted by havanahjoe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    The reason I say I have to hope, is that I just called AT&T tech support to make sure my plan is 4G enabled, and the guy told me AT&T will not have anything to do with helping me because I don't have one of their phones. After a bit of back and forth about what they won't do, the guy HUNG UP ON ME! WTF?! I just saved then $700 by sticking with my old plan & lot buying a new phone, and the guy hangs up on me!?! What kind of service is that?
    Their customer service is AWFUL. I spent an hour trying to get my SIM card activated, got it at the store but they were too busy. I kept being transferred all over the place because my ordere was not complete (I ordered a Lumia 920 that is still pending shipping) I complained on Twitter tagging their @attcustomercare account, and a Social Media Customer Service manager called me and got it activated it for me.

NEVER assume a rep will do the right thing. Check what your current plan is online, if it does not say 4G, you won't get the right speeds. I was able to get them to switch my plan by just calling the tech support number and picking option 2, then 0. The girl that I got was very helpful and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey28rb View Post
    The only difference is the UMTS tracking feature? I have "Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM"
    I would assume I do not need to change my data plan, since the iPhone should be configured to pick up HSPA+ regardless. All I would need to do when I get the Nexus would be configure the APN settings.
    I have seen many people say LTE plans do not work. They also say iPhone plans don't work either, because they use different APNs probably. The 4S plan that donm527 recommends does seem to work.

I don't know why the LTE plans won't work, since I'm sure LTE phones get HSPA+ access when there's no LTE coverage, but the known way to make it work, is have them put a 4G plan on your account.

Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

After getting hung up on, I called back and have gotten someone far more cooperative. However, he's having trouble adding 4G to my unlimited account, without dropping the unlimited service. He tried adding a Captivate, and then an Inspire 4G, as suggested earlier, and that doesn't seem to have worked immediately. However, I switched to the phone APN described earlier, power-cycled the phone, and I now can get the Speedtest to work (3 Mb down!). Status says I am getting HSPA 10.

I had a pretty easy time with ATT this morning. I used their online chat option. I basically asked the rep to please check if my current data plan was 4G HSPA+ compatible. I figured it wouldn't since I originally established this data plan in 2008 on the HTC Tilt. She told me what I expected, my current plan was 3G only. I then explained to her that I would like to switch my plan to make it 4G HSPA+ because I would be switching to a 4G HSPA + capable phone. I asked her first to make sure that this would not affect my unlimited data plan, she said it would not be a problem. She then said she had upgraded my plan to 4G HSPA+ and I would be good to go.

Looked @ my ATT online account and it does state a change on my data plan had occured today, (still listed as unlimited). I then switched my APN (Galaxy Nexus) to the AT&T HSPA+ settings listed here and everything is working correctly (was previously on the older Cingular APN). Note back in 2011 when I first got the Galaxy Nexus, I tried to use the AT&T HSPA+ APN settings and it would not work correctly no matter how many times I tried it so the fact it is working now gives me confidence I'm setup on the correct plan.

When I go to AT&T tonight to get a new simcard, I will be interested to see what APN it will automatically set me up on.
    Thanked by:

when you go into look at the APN setting there should be a green dot beside the one your using.. you have to select the right one after you add the new APN

no problems for me when sticking in my sim into the nexus

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Ok think I might need a little help here...

I added the new APN (the one listed on the other page) save it and rebooted the phone. Now the cell bars on top are grey and not blue with the H. I tried calling the phone and it rings but how do I know if I got it all setup properly?

I went to AT&T today and got a new micro sim and was all provisioned to the proper data plan.

EDIT: looks like calls work and no data :/

Any input is helpful, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkey28rb View Post
    a iphone plan wont work.. iphone data is different than regular smartphone data

Quote Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
    Ok think I might need a little help here...

I added the new APN (the one listed on the other page) save it and rebooted the phone. Now the cell bars on top are grey and not blue with the H. I tried calling the phone and it rings but how do I know if I got it all setup properly?

I went to AT&T today and got a new micro sim and was all provisioned to the proper data plan.

EDIT: looks like calls work and no data :/

Any input is helpful, thanks
    sounds like you entered something wrong or deleted something you werent suppose too

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    sounds like you entered something wrong or deleted something you werent suppose too
    I left the original and just added the new APN and made sure the new one was checked off
    I'll double check the spelling on everything
    very frustrating

I went from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. What concerns me is I went from an Unlimited LTE data plan to a Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal when I went to an at&t store and they gave me my sim card. What data plan should I be on? Because I am getting very slow speedtest.net results as well. I go frmo hspa 10 to hspa 15, but speedtest.net still shows very slow speeds????
    Last edited by valpd; 11-29-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timback2 View Post
    Hello,
    Has anyone activated the nexus 4 on ATT? How did you do that? Did you go to an ATT store ? Did the phone work with no problems with ATT?
    Does ATT have to set up with settings so MMS, Text messaging all that work?
    Thanks
    I received my nexus in the mail on the 19th. I had picked up my micro sim from the AT&T store the week prior so when my device arrived I brought it there and handed it to the very pumped employee who was stoked to set it up.

He got my data, sms, and voice calls working just fine but I realized my mms messages were not going through. I found the correct settings, changed them, restarted my phone and since no problems.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Ok well I doubled checked the APN and everything is wrote out properly and still just get grey bar with no data
    When I switch to the original APN, the blue bars appear with the H
    very confused and im usually not when it comes to this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    I went from an iPhone 5 to a Nexus 4. What concerns me is I went from an Unlimited LTE data plan to a Data Unlimited SmartPhone Personal when I went to an at&t store and they gave me my sim card. What data plan should I be on? Because I am getting very slow speedtest.net results as well.
    should be what they set you to but for a 4G phone

Quote Originally Posted by Dramer77 View Post
    should be what they set you to but for a 4G phone
    I wonder if this is for a 4G phone? if I am getting hspa 10 and hspa 15.

Global Posts
    4,266 Global Posts

I'm not getting H+ on the data indicator, only H. Is this normal or is there an APN that fixes this? TIA.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 Nexus 7, Galaxy S4 GPE and HTC M8 Developer edition =)
    Droids!

Global Posts
    578 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I called AT&T today and activated my new micro sim. No charge for anything...free SIM free Activation. I will make sure I still have unlimited data. I have two setup for my APN, AT&T 4G and the Cingular setup so I can test which is faster. But I am getting H+ symbol and everything seems silky smooth.

AWESOME PHONE! Can't wait till the battery breaks in. Ha. About 7 hours, started at 68% or so now at like...31%, lots of downloads and texting.

Global Posts
    213 Global Posts

Got it all fixed finally
    Stupid ATT rep put me on a blackberry data plan...good thing I called and got it back on the proper HSPA+ unlimited data plan I had.
    I will be testing this new APN...looking good so far!
    Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by map1978 View Post
    Got it all fixed finally
    Stupid ATT rep put me on a blackberry data plan...good thing I called and got it back on the proper HSPA+ unlimited data plan I had.
    I will be testing this new APN...looking good so far!
    Thanks guys
    I'll have to call in and see what plan I have. Not getting the H+ symbol only the H. So I'll see if they need to change it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

You only get the H+ when you're actually using data, your phone will drop back to just H when it's idle to save battery.

Try loading some webpages and keep an eye on the icon.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast