Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The APN settings I posted earlier work fine. I've gotten speeds over 9mbps and miss works fine.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
The problem is that while I was able to get as high as 12mbps down which I am fine with, the connectivity was intermittent. Sometimes the speed test app won't load, and pandora often times can't find a signal either.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
The problem is that while I was able to get as high as 12mbps down which I am fine with, the connectivity was intermittent. Sometimes the speed test app won't load, and pandora often times can't find a signal either.
Agreed the inconsistency was very frustrating for me

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The variation in download speeds are pretty big. I get horrible speeds at home. The slowest being 405 kbps down. This evening in another part of town I got 10280 kbps down. Crazy.

thanirs

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Alright folks. I have been reading this thread and tested two different APN settings. One that came with the phone and one suggested in this forum and xda-developers (phone APN). Here are my observations:

Default APN (the one that came with my phone):
Everything seems to work including sending/receiving MMS. Speedtest.net app doesn't work for checking download speed. Play store randomly says no connection. Retry almost always works. Since speedtest app doesn't work with this default APN, I chose to test download using app downloads via Play store. I downloaded a few apps (large sizes like 25MB) and timed them. Getting roughly 5Mbps. Seems reasonable.

Phone APN:
This worked for Speedtest.net app for a while. MMS doesn't work. Lost complete data connectivity starting 2 nights ago. Phone says no internet connection.

This made me conclude that the default APN settings are the best settings even though speedtest app doesn't work. Anyone else came to the same conclusion?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Alright folks. I have been reading this thread and tested two different APN settings. One that came with the phone and one suggested in this forum and xda-developers (phone APN). Here are my observations:

Everything seems to work including sending/receiving MMS. Speedtest.net app doesn't work for checking download speed. Play store randomly says no connection. Retry almost always works. Since speedtest app doesn't work with this default APN, I chose to test download using app downloads via Play store. I downloaded a few apps (large sizes like 25MB) and timed them. Getting roughly 5Mbps. Seems reasonable.

Phone APN:
This worked for Speedtest.net app for a while. MMS doesn't work. Lost complete data connectivity starting 2 nights ago. Phone says no internet connection.

This made me conclude that the default APN settings are the best settings even though speedtest app doesn't work. Anyone else came to the same conclusion?

MMS works on the phone APN, unless you didn't enter the MMS settings

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

Phone APN:

MMS works for both default and the XDA recommended APNs.

Using the default APN I find that i'm often greeted with no data connectivity in many apps but after a few retry's or waiting it eventually resolves. IMO the default APN seems or feels unstable.

The APN from XDA works more often than not but seems to also crap out but not quite as often as the default.

I'm of the opinion there is something else going on besides APN settings. I'm not well technically versed in Android but i'm thinking there is an issue with the Modem\Baseband? I say Modem\Baseband not knowing exactly what to call it.

thanirs

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
rickms80, your experience is completely opposite of mine. This is very interesting.

Did anyone go to a AT&T store and were they helpful?

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
rickms80, your experience is completely opposite of mine. This is very interesting.

Did anyone go to a AT&T store and were they helpful?
I did go to an AT&T Corporate Store and was greeted with, sorry we can't help you as it is not a supported AT&T device.
I have given up and this morning called Google and recieved an RMA label to return my N4 :(
As mentioned above there has to be something else going on besides APN settings? Never have I had this kind of issue with a Google branded phone before :-\

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
pounder001, what settings did you use? Hope you got your restocking fee waived.
I've tried all of the combinations posted in this thread and my connectivity stayed very inconsistent or non existent - VERY frustrating and after paying $400 (shipping and tax) it just wasnt worth it for me to keep playing around trying to make the device work as it should.
Popped my sim back in my GS3 and all is good again without any issues - This leads me to believe that it is something to do with AT&T and the N4, as I see there have been some issues with Straight Talk AT&T sims as well - Yet T Mobile folks seem to be having no issues?

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I've tried all of the combinations posted in this thread and my connectivity stayed very inconsistent or non existent - VERY frustrating and after paying $400 (shipping and tax) it just wasnt worth it for me to keep playing around trying to make the device work as it should.
Popped my sim back in my GS3 and all is good again without any issues - This leads me to believe that it is something to do with AT&T and the N4, as I see there have been some issues with Straight Talk AT&T sims as well - Yet T Mobile folks seem to be having no issues?

I would have to agree. If I pop my SIM back in my old at&t phones there is no issues. Pop it back in my N4 and we have flaky data. As I mentioned earlier I've tried several recommended APNs. The default seems to be the most flaky. The XDA APN seems to give me better data connectivity but the connectivity is still flaky.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that swapping a sim straight from an iPhone 4S and data plan listed as Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S,
that these settings worked for me without having to call AT&T to make any changes.

For me that's good because I am still in contract on my 4S until May and wanted to just put in the 4S sim without making any changes to plan for now... in case I want to switch back to the 4S or to have to deal with calling AT&T and losing my unlimited which I have had since the iPhone 2G.

I received my Nexus 4 in the mail and popped out the sim from my 4S and put it into my N4 and it worked from the start as far as phone service and data and texting.
But I noticed that running the speedtest app like others have mentioned that it shows server location as Texas and will not run after the ping.

I added these settings exactly and I am now able to run the speedtest app properly and shows closest server as Miami (I am in S. Florida).

From here I guess I will check performance and see if anyone posts any other settings to possibly improve performance?
Or does anyone think that the Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S is still not optimized and I should still call AT&T for a plan change?
BTW, I guess Apple did the setting up of plan when I wen to their store and upgraded from my 3GS to 4S.

These are the proper setting for hspa+

50434d1355106022-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att-uploadfromtaptalk1355106021584.jpg

50436d1355106058-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att-uploadfromtaptalk1355106057544.jpg

50437d1355106117-anyone-activated-nexus-4-att-uploadfromtaptalk1355106116131.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the "Phone" APN. Have not tried using the default APN since having my data plan changed. I went in to an AT&T store, and the guy there was very helpful, and knew exactly what to do. Took all of 5 minutes. It seems like customer service is very hit and miss with AT&T.

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I now noticed an inability to send MMS. I use GoSMS Pro. I have all the APN's set to the forums standards but it refuses to send the damn message. I figured it might have been the juice defender app blocking it because it turned off my data when wifi was on but it's still not sending. Huge inconvenience. Why is AT&T making this so difficult.

iTechEveryWeek

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I am beginning to think it is hit or miss with this....I had an iphone 5 with an LTE plan got my nexus 4 tonite put the sim card in and used the apn settings above. Works fine for me mms, hspa+, voice, voicemail...no issues whatsoever and I didn't have to call AT&T or switch my plan.

What data plan do your have? I'm in the same exact situation as you but i have the 2GB plan and they said its an old plan that may not work. so im curious what you have

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Tampa and ATT sucks with the nexus 4. Avg 3mbs down and 1 mbs up. I went straight to Tmobile and bought a month with them and data speeds are insanely fast. Plus, I'm getting better voice connection. This was the realization I needed. Tmobile just won my future business. I'm leaving ATT. Oh BTW, Tmobile happens to be $100 cheaper for the same plan. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Tampa and ATT sucks with the nexus 4. Avg 3mbs down and 1 mbs up. I went straight to Tmobile and bought a month with them and data speeds are insanely fast. Plus, I'm getting better voice connection. This was the realization I needed. Tmobile just won my future business. I'm leaving ATT. Oh BTW, Tmobile happens to be $100 cheaper for the same plan. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Same for my area but still have acouple months before my contract is over so I'll just deal with it for now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams