Anyone activated Nexus 4 on ATT

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Tampa and ATT sucks with the nexus 4. Avg 3mbs down and 1 mbs up. I went straight to Tmobile and bought a month with them and data speeds are insanely fast. Plus, I'm getting better voice connection. This was the realization I needed. Tmobile just won my future business. I'm leaving ATT. Oh BTW, Tmobile happens to be $100 cheaper for the same plan. :)

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

I really want to switch! But I need to keep my number and I'm stuck in a stupid AT&T contract. It might be cheaper to pay to cancellation charges though...

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I really want to switch! But I need to keep my number and I'm stuck in a stupid AT&T contract. It might be cheaper to pay to cancellation charges though...

My plan is to sell my current phones (G Note 2 and Iphone) to pay for the early termination charges. All I have to buy is a new phone for the wife. All our numbers will port over. I can't wait to be on T-MO fulltime.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm in Tampa and ATT sucks with the nexus 4. Avg 3mbs down and 1 mbs up. I went straight to Tmobile and bought a month with them and data speeds are insanely fast. Plus, I'm getting better voice connection. This was the realization I needed. Tmobile just won my future business. I'm leaving ATT. Oh BTW, Tmobile happens to be $100 cheaper for the same plan. :)

I am working in Tampa this week and my Nexus 4 is pulling down great speeds on at&t.

I am staying near International Plaza and everywhere I go in the Tampa area my speeds have been better than what I normally experience in the Boca Raton area.
Last night went out with a few colleagues to a Sushi place in Carrollwood (Sushi Alive) and I hit 14Mbps down, the fastest download speed I have ever seen on at&t HSPA+.

Dan

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I live in the Ft. Laud area and HSPA+ isnt that impressive... 6mbs at best.
But I have family in the Pasco County/New Port Richey area and I get the same speeds you mention with my iPhone 4S when I visited them.
Ridiculous that a waste of a town gets that while east coast crawls lol.

I am working in Tampa this week and my Nexus 4 is pulling down great speeds on at&t.

I am staying near International Plaza and everywhere I go in the Tampa area my speeds have been better than what I normally experience in the Boca Raton area.
Last night went out with a few colleagues to a Sushi place in Carrollwood (Sushi Alive) and I hit 14Mbps down, the fastest download speed I have ever seen on at&t HSPA+.

Dan

Exergy

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I live in the Ft. Laud area and HSPA+ isnt that impressive... 6mbs at best.
But I have family in the Pasco County/New Port Richey area and I get the same speeds you mention with my iPhone 4S when I visited them.
Ridiculous that a waste of a town gets that while east coast crawls lol.

Congestion. Probably why LTE is so favorable right now. Different chip, signals, bandwidth, less people.

Xertion3

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Dan

I'm near there and have seen only 6mbs down at best. But tmobile gives me better consistency in the voice and data. ATT has cooler phones though. I'll miss that.

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else on here who has an LTE plan with the proper HSPA+ settings configured having random signal drops? Speeds are as to what you would expect, but randomly, the signal flakes out at times.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have no problems with sending MMS on AT&T with the settings i reposted.

These are the proper setting for hspa+

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I now noticed an inability to send MMS. I use GoSMS Pro. I have all the APN's set to the forums standards but it refuses to send the damn message. I figured it might have been the juice defender app blocking it because it turned off my data when wifi was on but it's still not sending. Huge inconvenience. Why is AT&T making this so difficult.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I have no problems with sending MMS on AT&T with the settings i reposted.
Seems weird that there are some folks having issues with an AT&T sim and also with Straight Talk sims on AT&T, yet T Mobile folks seem to be having no issues? - Personally I couldnt receive or send MMS and my signal was anywhere from non existent to minimal

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone else on here who has an LTE plan with the proper HSPA+ settings configured having random signal drops? Speeds are as to what you would expect, but randomly, the signal flakes out at times.

I have an LTE plan with a GS3, and was loosing signal like crazy when my sim was in my Nexus 4. Even with the proper APN settings. I might be taking a trip to my local AT&T store later to see if I can figure this out.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I changed my APN settings and could not get a connection ( my plan must not be for 4G.?.)

anyway, speeds are good, it seems even though can't calculate them with speedtest.net so I'll leave it for awhile as stock APN numbers.

monkey28rb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have an LTE plan with a GS3, and was loosing signal like crazy when my sim was in my Nexus 4. Even with the proper APN settings. I might be taking a trip to my local AT&T store later to see if I can figure this out.

Yea it always fluctuates up and down at random.

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Folks that are having no issues with their N4 (MMS or flaky data connectivity issues) using their AT&T sim - Are you using the N4's imei# or an imei# from a different AT&T branded phone?
Did you call AT&T and give them the imei# or just pop your AT&T sim into the N4, and go?

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the IMEI from a different LG phone, although I don't know which one (The Optimus G perhaps?) Originally, I had the sim from my 3G iPhone cut down and used it, but eventually I was given a new micro-sim that is 4G compatible. Based on my experience, and what I have read, the following steps need to be taken:

1) Your account needs to be linked to the IMEI of a 4G phone (either HSPA+ or LTE) to be set up with a 4G data plan.
2) Your phone needs a 4G sim card
3) Your phone needs the correct APN settings. The "phone" APN seems to be the most successful so far.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Popped my AT&T sim from my 4S into my N4 and worked no problem except speedtest wouldnt ran.
Changed the APN settings to the one listed in previous post and now golden... so far.
I imagine the variance in issues comes down to AT&T having a gazillion type of plans that they created with different phones with slight differences in the system.

These are the proper setting for hspa+

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Folks that are having no issues with their N4 (MMS or flaky data connectivity issues) using their AT&T sim - Are you using the N4's imei# or an imei# from a different AT&T branded phone?
Did you call AT&T and give them the imei# or just pop your AT&T sim into the N4, and go?

pounder001

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the IMEI from a different LG phone, although I don't know which one (The Optimus G perhaps?) Originally, I had the sim from my 3G iPhone cut down and used it, but eventually I was given a new micro-sim that is 4G compatible. Based on my experience, and what I have read, the following steps need to be taken:

1) Your account needs to be linked to the IMEI of a 4G phone (either HSPA+ or LTE) to be set up with a 4G data plan.
2) Your phone needs a 4G sim card
3) Your phone needs the correct APN settings. The "phone" APN seems to be the most successful so far.

I used the IMEI from my N4, when I called AT&T Tech Support asking for help with my data connectivity issues instead of my Galaxy S3 which is a 4G LTE branded AT&T phone - I wonder if this was my problem as #'s 2 and 3, I'm ok with

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My understanding, from reading discussions here, and talking with the rep at the AT&T store, is that the N4's IMEI cannot be used because it is not in AT&T's system, since they do not sell this particular phone.

Parth Ghetia

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The Nexus 4 is in AT&T's system now because this morning, a smartphone data plan was automatically added to my line. However, I do not believe they add the correct data plan (or when you give them your N4 IMEI) as I was put on "GPRS MB WAP/BBRY/ISP 3GB DOM $10.00/1GB ADDL - SMTTDDO"

Before, I could only use "wap.cingular" but now "phone" works too.

More correctly, AT&T's smartphone sweeping system now detects the part of the IMEI that means its a smartphone from LGE, but the system that CSRs can access doesn't show it as a Nexus 4, only an LG Smartphone.

Last edited:

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Since activating it last week, ice noticed on my account that the line associated with my N4 still shows an iPhone which j was previously using. My plan was changes from iPhone LTE to Smartphone 4G LTE but the picture on my ATT still hasnt changed. Typically, changing the device is reflected. Not the N4.

Is this worthy of call?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just ran my speedtest app periodically testing the new APN settings...
this morning ran and got 7184kbps/972kbps
this evening... 9105kbps/1020kbps
I can't say I ever got as high as this evenings numbers when the sim was in my 4S.
I'm satisfied.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12