Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Nano sim adapter

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alvernaz View Post
    AT&T will give you a micro SIM if you go down to the store but should you choose to use the iPhone 5 again, you'll need to either cut down the micro SIM or go down to the store again and request a nano SIM as they refuse to activate any previously activated SIM cards.
    Okay thanks for the info. Looks like I'll try my luck with this adapter and the nano SIM in the N4. I've done this before taking out my iPhone (micro SIM from a 4) and using it on the HTC Inspire and it worked fine, didn't have to call/provision anything, it just worked. Hoping it's that seamless this time.. but not sure since LTE is in the game now.

Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post
    Okay thanks for the info. Looks like I'll try my luck with this adapter and the nano SIM in the N4. I've done this before taking out my iPhone (micro SIM from a 4) and using it on the HTC Inspire and it worked fine, didn't have to call/provision anything, it just worked. Hoping it's that seamless this time.. but not sure since LTE is in the game now.
    You're welcome! Yeah I'd say the adapter is fine. It is held in the slot quite snugly with the tray. You will probably need to call, but as I mentioned earlier see if you can get ahold of a non-iPhone LTE device and have AT&T provision it to that for maximum compatibility.

I have an iPhone5 and just got my Nexus 4. Got things working using a nano to micro sim adapter and this APN:

Name: (whatever you want it to be)
    APN: phone
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Authentication type:
    APN type: default,mms,supl

I rebooted after entering and activating the new APN...might not have to though.
    Thanked by 4:
    X144 likes this.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

hmmm....was thinking about getting a Nexus 4 on AT&T, but sounds like so far I would have to call AT&T every time I switch the SIM back to my iPhone 5. Guess I will keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone has finally found a solution. I never had problems on the iPhone 4S with swapping sims. Always can switch between the Nexus and 4S without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by tkao2025 View Post
    sounds like so far I would have to call AT&T every time I switch the SIM back to my iPhone 5.
    This is what I was told by the representative I reached. Instead of calling to switch back and forth, I have found it much easier to use their chat system once you log in to your account. I get someone right away and they know what to do.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by illmatic41 View Post
    I have an iPhone5 and just got my Nexus 4. Got things working using a nano to micro sim adapter and this APN:

Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    Authentication type:

I rebooted after entering and activating the new APN...might not have to though.
    I knew it was a possible APN issue. The AT&T network isn't recognizing the N4 therefore not enabling you to get data. Adding an APN with the right information will more than likely solve the issue. This is nothing new to unlocked devices and the N4 is no different.

BTW iPhone data plans are tricky and this is the issue you might run into when using a non ATT sim in an unlocked iPhone or a sim provisioned for an iPhone on an unlocked device.

Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    So you get data with a iPhone 5 nano sim? That's great I have nothing to worry about then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Yep - just disabled wifi to confirm. Data works.

Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    Authentication type:

This worked for mine! Didn't have to call anyone or anything.. Thanks!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

How fast is the data? Is it incredibly slow like some users have experienced with the galaxy nexus or is as fast as it was on HSPA+ on iPhone 5?

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

Sorry,
    But what goes here:
    Authentication type:
    On my N4 is says:
    Authentication Type.. is this Blank?
    Then APN TYPE:...what goes here?
    Then APN Protocol...what goes here?
    APN roaming protocol... what goes here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bothfly View Post
    Sorry,
    But what goes here:
    Authentication type:
    On my N4 is says:
    Authentication Type.. is this Blank?
    Then APN TYPE:...what goes here?
    Then APN Protocol...what goes here?
    APN roaming protocol... what goes here

Thanks
    I followed this to a "T" and it works flawlessly.. using my iPhone 5 nano SIM in my N4.

Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    Authentication type:
    Original Member

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts

I can confirm as well that this does indeed work.

Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post
    I followed this to a "T" and it works flawlessly.. using my iPhone 5 nano SIM in my N4.

Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    Authentication type:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I can confirm as well that this does indeed work.
    So everyone with a iPhone 5 that are switcing back and with with a Nexus4. I plan on doing the same. What brand of nano sim adapter do you have? I just bought a Noosy off ebay. Also, how did you copy your contacts from iPhone 5 to the Nexus4?

Thanks,

I have been living in the world of iPhone / Android for quite a few years and have probably the best solution for your contacts sync between both phones (and it goes further to include calendars and desktop contacts/calendars as well). The key is to use your google account for your contacts and calendars. This will take some work the first time you do it, but it is totally worth it if you plan on cheating on Android when you need a phone that fits in your skinny jeans.

With Android when you log in with your gmail account everything just works, contacts, calendars, etc. With the iPhone you have to set up your gmail account as an exchange server so it keeps everything sync'd between the two. This sounds harder than it is... Here are some directions on how to do it: Set up Google Sync with your iOS device - Gmail Help

Once you do that your contacts sync straight over. I do not remember if I could merge all of the contacts off of my iPhone into my gmail contacts the first time I did this, I might have had to manually enter them. There are other options out there, you can export your address book into a .csv file, you can do this from and iPhone or whatever desktop calendar program you are sync'd to (google your specific set up ... export to csv). Next you want to import that CSV file into GMail: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help . Once you are in the gmail contacts you can clean it up by removing duplicates etc., this is where my OCD really kicks in, you have to have a clean contacts list.

With this set up you have to think of your contacts list as not just phone numbers but also emails and addresses, it brings it all together really well.

To get a little more nerdy now that I am on a roll, I actually use a "family gmail account" address book as our address book / calendars for our entire household and it is sync'd to everyones phones and computers. You can go this route if you want to keep everything centralized, it really works out well for me as I can make sure everything is always updated on all of the phones (we have both android and ios in my house) and computers (macs, chrome book, and one damn stupid windows machine at work), without even doing anything.

The best part about this is that you do all of your contact management in your gmail account. When you add a contact in gmail it is instantly updated on Android and iOS. You can also add a contact on either phone and have it show up everywhere as well.
    Thanked by:
    Frost Forged likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebuury View Post
    Yes, now my sim card tray is stuck, but not with the sim card inside, which is good
    I am contacting Google about this now, I am on hold. I see that some people have to same intentions as I do with switching back and fourth between iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.
    Did you ever get the sim card tray out? My dumb@$$ pushed in the micro sim tray with the adapter without the nanosim and now it's stuck.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Did you ever get the sim card tray out? My dumb@$$ pushed in the micro sim tray with the adapter without the nanosim and now it's stuck.
    Nope, I told Google that it was a faulty device so I'm getting a new one in the mail today. There is a possibility that you could destroy your Sim reader in there since the crevice in the adapter has latched onto the reader. The only good thing that I could suggest is to contact Google or you can try to yank it out with a pair of pliers, but I wouldn't risk damaging your device like that though.

Nope, I told Google that it was a faulty device so I'm getting a new one in the mail today. There is a possibility that you could destroy your Sim reader in there since the crevice in the adapter has latched onto the reader. The only good thing that I could suggest is to contact Google or you can try to yank it out with a pair of pliers, but I wouldn't risk damaging your device like that though.
    Yeah, I also have replacement unit coming way soon. My Nexus 4's plastic side at the chrome band near the bottom left is "mushy"...there's some give and then it creaks, then you press on the screen on the back button and it creaks some more. I put the sim tray with adapter in by accident while i was changing out the sim and didn't want to lose track of the tray during the Thanksgiving activities going on...it wasn't completely in the phone and then my stupid@$$ pushed it in by accident. Just hope LG doesn't think i caused the defect because of the tray being stuck. I got my RMA on Wednesday and they sent me the link to order a new device. How long did it take for you to get the shipping confirmation?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Yeah, I also have replacement unit coming way soon. My Nexus 4's plastic side at the chrome band near the bottom left is "mushy"...there's some give and then it creaks, then you press on the screen on the back button and it creaks some more. I put the sim tray with adapter in by accident while i was changing out the sim and didn't want to lose track of the tray during the Thanksgiving activities going on...it wasn't completely in the phone and then my stupid@$$ pushed it in by accident. Just hope LG doesn't think i caused the defect because of the tray being stuck. I got my RMA on Wednesday and they sent me the link to order a new device. How long did it take for you to get the shipping confirmation?
    I was lucky. I ordered on Monday evening and my estimated ship date was November 25. I got my shipping confirmation on Wednesday, 21, and it arrived today, 23.
    Did you get a shipping label with that RMA? I don't have a shipping label.

I was lucky. I ordered on Monday evening and my estimated ship date was November 25. I got my shipping confirmation on Wednesday, 21, and it arrived today, 23.
    Did you get a shipping label with that RMA? I don't have a shipping label.
    Wow, you got your replacement quick. I received the nexus on monday and actually got my RMA on Tuesday, not Wednesday. I was emailed the shipping label from Google Play Store support. I believe it says I have 21 days from receiving the new device to ship back the old one. The shipping label shows that the device will be going to a LG repair facility.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I'll echo some of the other comments on here and suggest that people don't use nano-sim adapters. I tried one in my Lumia 900 and ended up using pliers to get it out, totally screwing the sim reader. Pleaded dumb to Nokia and got a replacement (excellent service by the way) but it's not worth the risk
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Quote Originally Posted by hc_1540 View Post
    I'll echo some of the other comments on here and suggest that people don't use nano-sim adapters. I tried one in my Lumia 900 and ended up using pliers to get it out, totally screwing the sim reader. Pleaded dumb to Nokia and got a replacement (excellent service by the way) but it's not worth the risk
    That only happens when you put the adapter in the phone without the nano sim in the Nexus 4
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Wow, you got your replacement quick. I received the nexus on monday and actually got my RMA on Tuesday, not Wednesday. I was emailed the shipping label from Google Play Store support. I believe it says I have 21 days from receiving the new device to ship back the old one. The shipping label shows that the device will be going to a LG repair facility.
    Should I contact Google Play Support again to get my shipping label? I tried emailing them, but they haven't replied back. I'm worried that my return time will run out.

I like to play around and see what works so I cut down a T-Mobile and AT&T sim to nano size to see how they worked in my iPhone 3Gs and 4s. Both phones are factory unlocked. Using a nano to SD adaptor they work fine in the 3Gs and a nano to micro they work fine in the 4s. I bought and would advise buying a cutter to do this and then you should not have a problem. I don't have an iPhone 5 I am really waiting for the Nexus 4. As far as the APN I left both phones on Automatic witch you can turn on or off. I don't know if you have this option if the iPhone is not factory unlocked. I would not be afraid to cut down your sim card.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Alvernaz View Post
    AT&T will give you a micro SIM if you go down to the store but should you choose to use the iPhone 5 again, you'll need to either cut down the micro SIM or go down to the store again and request a nano SIM as they refuse to activate any previously activated SIM cards.

I have come from a iphone 5 with a nano sim. I got a sim adapter from amazon and it works great. It was a bit of a squeeze to get the adapter and sim into the tray and into the phone but it works great. Im not sure weather it will come back out though im not going to even try at the moment haha.

Obviously had to put the APN info in for internet and mms from my provider.

You would think an factory unlocked phone would have an auto setting for APN and MMS both my iPhone 3Gs and 4s do. I can switch any time and just reboot or toggle airplane mode and it sets itself up. I did have to do a little filing on the sims cut to nano size to make them fit easily into the adaptor trays. You did not say what provider you use...maybe just the major carriers can be auto set. I use T-Mobile and AT&T. Also on my phones you can turn auto off and manual enter the info for carriers that the phone does not know about I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnaje View Post
    I have come from a iphone 5 with a nano sim. I got a sim adapter from amazon and it works great. It was a bit of a squeeze to get the adapter and sim into the tray and into the phone but it works great. Im not sure weather it will come back out though im not going to even try at the moment haha.

Obviously had to put the APN info in for internet and mms from my provider.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12