Nano sim adapter

bluebuury

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and I just bought a Nexus 4 and a nano to micro sim adapter for it. I tried putting it in the nexus but it's not giving me any signal. The reason why I don't want to go get an actual micro sim is because I want to use my iPhone from time to time with LTE. How can I get service on my nexus 4 with my nano sim adapter?

Last edited:

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
This is pertinent to me because I have my nano sim adapter ready to go. Using my iPhone 5 SIM with an adapter and plan to go back and forth (if needed). whenever the hell I get my phone

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
This is pertinent to me because I have my nano sim adapter ready to go. Using my iPhone 5 SIM with an adapter and plan to go back and forth (if needed). whenever the hell I get my phone

I also have an iPhone 5 and I got a nano SIM adapter last month in anticipation of getting a Nexus 4. I also want to swap between devices.

Anyone else who has an AT&T iPhone 5 experiencing any issues with their nexus 4?

bluebuury

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, now my sim card tray is stuck, but not with the sim card inside, which is good :)
I am contacting Google about this now, I am on hold. I see that some people have to same intentions as I do with switching back and fourth between iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and I just bought a Nexus 4 and a nano to micro sim adapter for it. I tried putting it in the nexus but it's not giving me any signal. The reason why I don't want to go get an actual micro sim is because I want to use my iPhone from time to time with LTE. How can I get service on my nexus 4 with my nano sim adapter?

The issue here is AT&T and how they provision devices. When you swap between an LTE device and an HSPA+ device, as well as between an iPhone and another type of device, AT&T often "requires" that you call and have them provision the SIM appropriately. Call AT&T.

Its really unfortunate and just straight up goes against what GSM is supposed to give you, which is the freedom of device slection.

gcurtisjr

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I, too, have an iPhone 5 and I purchased the Nexus 4 only for a project (it's a nice phone, but I will be selling it soon). When I inserted my micro sim using an adapter, I was only getting cell service. So, I went to AT&T's online chat and the guy told me that they needed to activate the data. He had me turn the phone off, did something on his end, and then it worked. The process seems more complicated than it needs to be, but he said whenever I want to go back to my iPhone, I needed to talk to them again in order to transfer the data.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I, too, have an iPhone 5 and I purchased the Nexus 4 only for a project (it's a nice phone, but I will be selling it soon). When I inserted my micro sim using an adapter, I was only getting cell service. So, I went to AT&T's online chat and the guy told me that they needed to activate the data. He had me turn the phone off, did something on his end, and then it worked. The process seems more complicated than it needs to be, but he said whenever I want to go back to my iPhone, I needed to talk to them again in order to transfer the data.

Thats not good because I want to swap SIM's on the fly. I don't want to call or contact a rep to do this. That used to be the advantages of GSM but now with this LTE provisioning, that totally goes out the window. On top of that I got an LTE device to increase my unlimited data cap to 5GB before I get throttled. Having my account provisioned to a non LTE devices pushes my data cap to 3GB.

Would configuring an APN do the trick instead of having to contact AT&T in order to get data?

bluebuury

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How long did it take the representative to do this for you? I don't want to wait nearly 10 minutes just to text or call people on my iPhone 5.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
No, you need it re-provisioned. Changing the APN is not the same thing.

When I had a blackberry I ran into the same issue. My iPhone only got phone service and data was not working until i configured an APN on my iPhone. This was because I had a Blackberry data plan. Hey it doesn't hurt to at least try if configuring an APN might work. Until someone tries it and it doesn't work, I'll come to the conclusion that it definitely needs re provisioning.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
When I had a blackberry I ran into the same issue. My iPhone only got phone service and data was not working until i configured an APN on my iPhone. This was because I had a Blackberry data plan. Hey it doesn't hurt to at least try if configuring an APN might work. Until someone tries it and it doesn't work, I'll come to the conclusion that it definitely needs re provisioning.

Yes, the APN is important of course, and it won't work without the correct APN. My point is that what you're experiencing is not due to incorrect APN settings, it has to do with AT&T not having the SIM provisioned properly.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the APN is important of course, and it won't work without the correct APN. My point is that what you're experiencing is not due to incorrect APN settings, it has to do with AT&T not having the SIM provisioned properly.

Just posted this issue on XDA and someone with a Galaxy Note with an LTE plan was able to get data on his Nexus 4 without any need to re provision. iPhone data plans are always tricky and leads me to believe that all you need to do is add the iPhone APN settings on an Nexus 4 in order to get data. It's not an LTE re provisioning issue per se, it might have to do strictly with those with iPhone data plans.

BTW unlocked iPhones on Tmobile wont get data until you configure a Tmobile APN's also so this might be the case here.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Just posted this issue on XDA and someone with a Galaxy Note with an LTE plan was able to get data on his Nexus 4 without any need to re provision. iPhone data plans are always tricky and leads me to believe that all you need to do is add the iPhone APN settings on an Nexus 4 in order to get data. It's not an LTE re provisioning issue per se, it might have to do strictly with those with iPhone data plans.

Yes, it is an issue with switching between an iPhone and a non-iPhone (people also have this issue because of LTE). There's no "iPhone" APN to switch to, it's just an AT&T APN and it works for all types of phones.

BTW unlocked iPhones on Tmobile wont get data until you configure a Tmobile APN's also so this might be the case here.

Yes, that's true. And again that's just because GSM carriers require your APN to be set up, and iPhones don't ship with T-Mobile APNs in the software (of course). Again, that's completely different than the provisioning issue you're experiencing on AT&T.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site

SuperManFan

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Got my Nexus 4 this evening.

Tried my nano sim from my iPhone 5 and my wife's micro sim from her 4S, both gave me a "No SIM" error on Nexus. Then I read this thread and tried the reboot. Both sims work fine after power cycle of Nexus. No call to at&t.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463