Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nano sim adapter

    I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and I just bought a Nexus 4 and a nano to micro sim adapter for it. I tried putting it in the nexus but it's not giving me any signal. The reason why I don't want to go get an actual micro sim is because I want to use my iPhone from time to time with LTE. How can I get service on my nexus 4 with my nano sim adapter?
    Last edited by bluebuury; 11-19-2012 at 05:48 PM.
  2. #2  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Do you have a cellular signal and no data? Or no data or cellular service all together?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    I have nothing at all. The status bar is showing no service.
  4. #4  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    You should at least have cellular signal...dumb question but did you install the nano sim correctly in the adapter?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Yes, it is installed correctly
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    This is pertinent to me because I have my nano sim adapter ready to go. Using my iPhone 5 SIM with an adapter and plan to go back and forth (if needed). whenever the hell I get my phone
  7. #7  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by slowman View Post
    This is pertinent to me because I have my nano sim adapter ready to go. Using my iPhone 5 SIM with an adapter and plan to go back and forth (if needed). whenever the hell I get my phone
    I also have an iPhone 5 and I got a nano SIM adapter last month in anticipation of getting a Nexus 4. I also want to swap between devices.

    Anyone else who has an AT&T iPhone 5 experiencing any issues with their nexus 4?
  8. #8  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebuury View Post
    Yes, it is installed correctly
    Did you reboot your Nexus 4 after you installed the SIM?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Yes, now my sim card tray is stuck, but not with the sim card inside, which is good
    I am contacting Google about this now, I am on hold. I see that some people have to same intentions as I do with switching back and fourth between iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by bluebuury View Post
    I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and I just bought a Nexus 4 and a nano to micro sim adapter for it. I tried putting it in the nexus but it's not giving me any signal. The reason why I don't want to go get an actual micro sim is because I want to use my iPhone from time to time with LTE. How can I get service on my nexus 4 with my nano sim adapter?
    The issue here is AT&T and how they provision devices. When you swap between an LTE device and an HSPA+ device, as well as between an iPhone and another type of device, AT&T often "requires" that you call and have them provision the SIM appropriately. Call AT&T.

    Its really unfortunate and just straight up goes against what GSM is supposed to give you, which is the freedom of device slection.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
    Thanked by:
    petaf 
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    I, too, have an iPhone 5 and I purchased the Nexus 4 only for a project (it's a nice phone, but I will be selling it soon). When I inserted my micro sim using an adapter, I was only getting cell service. So, I went to AT&T's online chat and the guy told me that they needed to activate the data. He had me turn the phone off, did something on his end, and then it worked. The process seems more complicated than it needs to be, but he said whenever I want to go back to my iPhone, I needed to talk to them again in order to transfer the data.
    Andrew Martonik likes this.
  12. #12  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by gcurtisjr View Post
    I, too, have an iPhone 5 and I purchased the Nexus 4 only for a project (it's a nice phone, but I will be selling it soon). When I inserted my micro sim using an adapter, I was only getting cell service. So, I went to AT&T's online chat and the guy told me that they needed to activate the data. He had me turn the phone off, did something on his end, and then it worked. The process seems more complicated than it needs to be, but he said whenever I want to go back to my iPhone, I needed to talk to them again in order to transfer the data.
    Thats not good because I want to swap SIM's on the fly. I don't want to call or contact a rep to do this. That used to be the advantages of GSM but now with this LTE provisioning, that totally goes out the window. On top of that I got an LTE device to increase my unlimited data cap to 5GB before I get throttled. Having my account provisioned to a non LTE devices pushes my data cap to 3GB.

    Would configuring an APN do the trick instead of having to contact AT&T in order to get data?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Would configuring an APN do the trick instead of having to contact AT&T in order to get data?
    No, you need it re-provisioned. Changing the APN is not the same thing.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    How long did it take the representative to do this for you? I don't want to wait nearly 10 minutes just to text or call people on my iPhone 5.
  15. #15  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    No, you need it re-provisioned. Changing the APN is not the same thing.
    When I had a blackberry I ran into the same issue. My iPhone only got phone service and data was not working until i configured an APN on my iPhone. This was because I had a Blackberry data plan. Hey it doesn't hurt to at least try if configuring an APN might work. Until someone tries it and it doesn't work, I'll come to the conclusion that it definitely needs re provisioning.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    When I had a blackberry I ran into the same issue. My iPhone only got phone service and data was not working until i configured an APN on my iPhone. This was because I had a Blackberry data plan. Hey it doesn't hurt to at least try if configuring an APN might work. Until someone tries it and it doesn't work, I'll come to the conclusion that it definitely needs re provisioning.
    Yes, the APN is important of course, and it won't work without the correct APN. My point is that what you're experiencing is not due to incorrect APN settings, it has to do with AT&T not having the SIM provisioned properly.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  17. #17  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Yes, the APN is important of course, and it won't work without the correct APN. My point is that what you're experiencing is not due to incorrect APN settings, it has to do with AT&T not having the SIM provisioned properly.
    Just posted this issue on XDA and someone with a Galaxy Note with an LTE plan was able to get data on his Nexus 4 without any need to re provision. iPhone data plans are always tricky and leads me to believe that all you need to do is add the iPhone APN settings on an Nexus 4 in order to get data. It's not an LTE re provisioning issue per se, it might have to do strictly with those with iPhone data plans.

    BTW unlocked iPhones on Tmobile wont get data until you configure a Tmobile APN's also so this might be the case here.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by jd914 View Post
    Just posted this issue on XDA and someone with a Galaxy Note with an LTE plan was able to get data on his Nexus 4 without any need to re provision. iPhone data plans are always tricky and leads me to believe that all you need to do is add the iPhone APN settings on an Nexus 4 in order to get data. It's not an LTE re provisioning issue per se, it might have to do strictly with those with iPhone data plans.
    Yes, it is an issue with switching between an iPhone and a non-iPhone (people also have this issue because of LTE). There's no "iPhone" APN to switch to, it's just an AT&T APN and it works for all types of phones.

    BTW unlocked iPhones on Tmobile wont get data until you configure a Tmobile APN's also so this might be the case here.
    Yes, that's true. And again that's just because GSM carriers require your APN to be set up, and iPhones don't ship with T-Mobile APNs in the software (of course). Again, that's completely different than the provisioning issue you're experiencing on AT&T.
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T
  19. #19  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    There's no "iPhone" APN to switch to, it's just an AT&T APN and it works for all types of phone
    I've had every iPhone except the 3GS and 4S and I know for a fact that there's an iPhone APN setting


    AT&T APN Settings iPhone Blackberry Android | Cingular Wireless 3G MMS GPRS Manual Settings - How to

    If I was the OP I would try adding both Android or iPhone APN's and see if he gets data. It wont hurt to try and if it doesn't work so be it.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Got my Nexus 4 this evening.

    Tried my nano sim from my iPhone 5 and my wife's micro sim from her 4S, both gave me a "No SIM" error on Nexus. Then I read this thread and tried the reboot. Both sims work fine after power cycle of Nexus. No call to at&t.
  21. #21  
    jd914's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    804 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperManFan View Post
    Got my Nexus 4 this evening.

    Tried my nano sim from my iPhone 5 and my wife's micro sim from her 4S, both gave me a "No SIM" error on Nexus. Then I read this thread and tried the reboot. Both sims work fine after power cycle of Nexus. No call to at&t.
    So you get data with a iPhone 5 nano sim? That's great I have nothing to worry about then.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    I was receiving no data service with the iPhone 5 nano SIM directly in the Nexus 4 with the adapter. I called and had my SIM provisioned for the Nexus but then when I moved the SIM back to the iPhone 5 I would not receive LTE signal. I then tried provisioning the nano SIM for the Lumia 900 and now I get LTE on iPhone and HSPA on the Nexus 4. It appears the best thing to do is to get ahold of a non-iPhone LTE device and get the SIM provisioned for that as it seems whatever provisioning is done there is most cross-platform compatible.

    Good luck!
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    Actually, it appears there are still some issues. If the nano SIM is placed in the iPhone 5 and LTE is disabled, the iPhone connects at HSPA+ with DL speeds of about 7mbps. With the SIM in the Nexus 4 it is only connecting at HSPA with DL speeds of about 3mbps.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    I dont want my SIM getting stuck in the N4... Will ATT give me a micro SIM if I go to their store and ask them.. just provisioned for use on the N4... Then deactivating the nano SIM in the iPhone 5? Then if I wanted to switch back to the iP5 for any reason, call em and ask them to provision the SIM for iPhone? No/yes? Just deal with the adapter?
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Nano sim adapter

    AT&T will give you a micro SIM if you go down to the store but should you choose to use the iPhone 5 again, you'll need to either cut down the micro SIM or go down to the store again and request a nano SIM as they refuse to activate any previously activated SIM cards.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nano sim working in Galaxy Nexus unlocked GSM
    By bmsyko in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
  2. Verizon micro-SIM to SIM adapter for Thunderbolt/Rezound
    By Wampa1 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Micro sim adapter
    By glk#WN in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM
  4. So anyone know of a easy way to get a Microsim to sim adapter?
    By trigun123478 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
  5. Sim Adapter
    By Acint1924 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 03:17 AM

Posting Permissions