Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Default Re: HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Wuff View Post
    I'm consistently pulling 20Mbps down and 1.5-3.5 Mpbs up on T-Mobile in DC and Northern Virginia - when I have a signal. Looking forward to receiving my Straight Talk SIM this evening so I can compare. As I said on another thread, I expect I'll sacrifice some speed for better coverage and building penetration on AT&T's network.
    I'm also curious about your results. I've heard to T-Mobile has decent coverage in the DC/NoVA area but would like to compare it with AT&T to see how it fares.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltyger View Post
    20mins south of Portland, OR with Tmobile. I am averaging 8-9Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up.
    For comparison, downtown today on Verizon LTE was seeing 3.1 mbps down. HSPA+42 is easily competitive and it's almost a shame that T-Mobile is giving in and going with LTE when there is still a good path forward with HSPA (84 mbit hspa with dual cell and mimo)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Andrew Martonik likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Lol yes... You can stream Pandora on EDGE, you don't need 20mbps down to stream music.

- - - Updated - - -

That's because EVDO's theoretical maximum downlink speed is about 3.5mbps .
    EVDO Rev A is about 3072 kbps (in 1.25 MHz). The fastest you could see via speedtest would be less than that, of course. Also, I always feel compelled to point out that while support of any individual application (e.g., can I stream HD youtube) is important to the individual user, the way the carriers are looking at it is how many users can they support doing a given task given a single tower.

Consider a hypothetical town being served by a single site (tower) and this is a strange tower with a single geographic sector. One company deploys EVDO-A there, one deploys HSPA+ and one deploys LTE (SISO). The EVDO-A company happens to have 40 MHz available for forward channel (all of them are frequency duplexed), HSPA+ has 20 MHz available and LTE company 5 MHz available. Also presume that streaming HD youtube takes

EVDO company can deliver about 96 mbps, so could support (at 2 mbps per stream) 48 users streaming HD YouTube.
    HSPA+ company can deliver about 84 mbps, so could support 42 users streaming HD YouTube at the same time.
    LTE company can deliver 27 mbps (really about 22 mbps), so could support 13 users streaming YouTube.

Which is the better technology? It doesn't matter, the company with the most spectrum is winning, even though EVDO-A is using a lower order modulation.

So, let's say you are the HSPA+ company and you want to win. You have 20 MHz of spectrum and you've currently got HSPA+21 deployed, so that means you have 4 carriers each delivering a possible 21 mbps. What does upgrading to DC-HSPA do for you? In terms of the metric above, nothing. The tower is still delivering 84 mbps, it's just that each individual user can now receive up to 42 mbps rather than 21 mbps. What would upgrading to LTE do for you? If you deployed LTE in all 20 MHz you'd have a theoretical bitrate of about 108 mbps, but subtracting coding and control you're down to about 87 mbps - not all that much better than your position with HSPA+21 or DC-HSPA+42, and also you had to change out your equipment at the tower. LTE is really only a little bit better if you keep things "fair" meaning SISO LTE vs SISO HSPA (there are other advantages not associated with theoretical maximum performance, but I think those advantages could be had in more advanced HSPA+ deployments too).

Another option would be to go DC-HSPA+84 MIMO, which would change the metric above so that you're delivering 168 mbps from the tower in 20 MHz and could support 84 users streaming HD YouTube at the same time. This has a lot of nice advantages - voice calls already work over HSPA and you could use every last kHz you have available for HSPA - LTE and EVDO carriers have to keep legacy technologies around to support voice calls at the moment. All of your old HSPA devices will still work, DC-HSPA-MIMO is backward compatible. And, of course, your users can just order a Google Nexus 4 and put it on your network.

It's sort of interesting that T-Mobile went with DC-HSPA rather than HSPA-MIMO, as HSPA-MIMO would have approximately doubled tower throughput while going DC-HSPA doesn't change anything to tower throughput (actually about 10% from improved efficiency), the only advantage is that the end user sees. However, going with MIMO would have required more physical antenna on the tower, and there would be cost associated with that, so that might have been the reason, however if T-Mobile's long term plan were to stick with HSPA there wouldn't be a reason to avoid that upgrade, as the future very-high-speed paths require MIMO anyway.
    Thanked by 3:
    bmolloy and SgtMijo like this.

i happened to do add'l testing today, as i'm monitoring T-Mo 1900 band migration in Atlanta.

2 weeks ago, Sandy Springs, GA testing consistently at 8Mbps DL about mid morning
    2 weeks ago, Smyrna, GA testing consistently at 3Mbps DL about early evening
    Today, Sandy Springs, GA testing consistently at 5.5Mbps DL about mid afternoon
    That was all on a Pre3 (HSPA+) on T-Mo's 1900 band.
    Also today, on an ATT LTE demo in their store: 20Mbps about mid afternoon.

Sprint EVDO usually tests just under 3Mbps IIRC, just like Valeuche said above.

Also, when I go out of range, T-Mo drops to Edge indicator on the Pre3, but the Pandora keeps streaming. I've streamed Pandora over Edge for a while. But there's an issue with the Pandora app i swear. it keeps pausing mid-song on the Pre3 about every 15 mins; and actually freezing on the Pre- with 6 secs remaining, about every hour. so make sure your issues are connectivity, not application. i never had probs before, but Pandora seems buggy as heck now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless Freep View Post
    My N4 will be here tommorow. Can I get the HSPA+ 42 speeds on the T-Mobile prepaid plans?
    Keep in mind you don't get any data roaming on TMobiles Monthly 4G no contract plans. It's in the fine print. My wife has Monthly 4G and I'd switch to one of those plans today but we spend a lot if time in rural areas. I'm on Sprint and have 3g data in many places she doesn't because of no roaming.

http://db.tt/emZq8xty
    Tampa, Florida Tmobile 30 dollar prepaid
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by kjmitch View Post
    All the bellyaching about LTE turned out to be nothing.

I ran side by side tests, VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus versus HSPA+ T-Mobile Nexus 4. The download speed was actually intangibly better on HSPA+. This was in Rockville, MD just outside of Washington DC.
    Good news, I'm near Annapolis so hopefully I see similar results.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Quote Originally Posted by DC Damien View Post
    Do you drop your signal often in DC? Are parts of town better than others? I would have to leave Verizon to have the N4. And until i'm able to order one and test it out any help or suggestions are welcome.
    So far, I have had good signal outdoors on T-Mo everywhere I've gone since Saturday, from FedEx Field to Fairfax and just about everywhere in between. I am now using the Straight Talk SIM, so I'll see how it compares. Last night, I did a test in my house here in Fairlington, and I got 3 down, 1 up (on ST/AT&T). To me, that's a perfectly acceptable baseline if I'm also getting great coverage and building penetration.
    Thanked by:

I am in the west burbs of the Chicago land area(Downers Grove) and I get pretty decent speeds inside my office building on my Galaxy Nexus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-screenshot_2012-11-21-09-00-52.png  

Hey, I'm in North San Diego County... so far, I like what I see.. and I included a screenshot of Speedtests from my desk on my Evo LTE that I love.. but... the speed comparison is a joke. Sprints 3G really is atrocious... with no LTE in sight. For Comparison, the first and last tests on the Nexus were from my desk as well. The others were in Carlsbad, CA.

HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-screenshot_2012-11-21-07-23-34.png

HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-screenshot_2012-11-21-07-36-01.png

I'm here around Des Plaines and I average around 12-16 Mbps down and around 2 Mbps up. I think in the Loop and Wicker Park/Logan Square, I've seen around 3-6 Mbps average downspeed, so a little slower, but still not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMcNugget View Post
    Anyone getting anything near these speeds in Chicago? My G2 barely gets 0.6mbs down, and it says its on HSPA. Chicago is listed as one of the cities. I want to get the N4, but don't know why Chicago's speeds seem so poor.
    I'm here around Des Plaines and I average around 12-16 Mbps down and around 2 Mbps up. I think in the Loop and Wicker Park/Logan Square, I've seen around 3-6 Mbps average downspeed, so a little slower, but still not bad.

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by saeufer View Post
    Too lazy to post a screenshot.

Los Angeles 90024 (Westwood). Signal around -90dBm (4 bars), average of 3 tests run around 6pm PST today is 16Mbps down and 2.8Mbps up. Hell yes!

My Exhibit II, which is supposedly an HSPA+ device as well got an average of 3.5Mbps down and 2.5Mbps up. Same SIM, exact same spot.
    Those are higher than my typical speeds on ATT's LTE when I lived in west LA.

Quote Originally Posted by DataHawg View Post
    Keep in mind you don't get any data roaming on TMobiles Monthly 4G no contract plans. It's in the fine print. My wife has Monthly 4G and I'd switch to one of those plans today but we spend a lot if time in rural areas. I'm on Sprint and have 3g data in many places she doesn't because of no roaming.
    Is there anything to roam to in your area? T-Mobile SIMs bar ATT in most parts of the country; even when I was on postpaid my phone wouldn't roam onto ATT except in a few oddball places, which did (and does) lead to some extremely annoying dead zones. Even if you have a phone that supports it in theory, there's no way to roam onto a CDMA carrier. (on the other hand, the damn thing would roam onto Telcel if I was close to the border)

Quote Originally Posted by jedah View Post
    Those are higher than my typical speeds on ATT's LTE when I lived in west LA.
    Excellent. Cheaper, too

In Redwood City, CA (6 or so miles from the Googleplex ) after a half dozen tests over the last 24 hours I'm getting a low of 14.07 down/2.02 up and high of 15.84 down/3.06 up using a T-Mobile sim.

We're road-tripping up to Oregon this afternoon, I'll be curious to check the coverage as we leave the Bay Area.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

Not bad! And you complained about no LTE on N4. My Gnex is only capable of reaching 5Mbps/3-4Mbps on T-Mobile which is more than enough for my needs

LTE users are spoiled,greedy,selfish fat bastards!

Got this in the financial district in New York City

Sent from my HTC One S

Nice to hear that. I work in Palo Alto and that is good enough.

PS - The Galaxy Nexus only had a 21MBps HSPA+ Radio, so thats why you never saw anything higher than 7 ~ MBps.

I'm in Oakland, CA. I just got my Nexus 4 this morning and popped in my Prepaid 30 a month T-Mobile Sim and so far haven't been having too great an experience. At first it didn't even recognize the Sim until it updated to 4.2 and reset. Now, so far it says it's in HSPA (little H by the bars), but the speeds have been pretty bad. I've had 3263kbps, 429 kbps, 2808 kbps and 592 kbps, testing in my home in Oakland, then a couple times on the road driving east to Pleasanton, and now in my office in Pleasanton, it actually reads as Edge. When I check T-Mobile's coverage map it shows all those areas as "Excellent" coverage. Is there an easy way to see if I'm actually getting 42Mbps HSPA+ or not aside from a speed test?

I'm at the very edge of coverage about 20 miles outside of Portland, Or. metro. My in town download speeds have averaged 12 Mbps down. (This would be around Tigard, Beaverton, Tualatin) Outside of town I still get 4Mbps down on average and I'm litteraly 1 bar in the house and 3 bars outside. So all in all considering my home location, I'm quite impressed with Tmo's coverage. My last ATT phone I had to stand in my front yard, hold the phone up and be very very quiet.... I'm hunting for a signal bar. The CDMA networks similarly have terrible coverage where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by qreepii View Post
    I'm at the very edge of coverage about 20 miles outside of Portland, Or. metro. My in town download speeds have averaged 12 Mbps down. (This would be around Tigard, Beaverton, Tualatin) Outside of town I still get 4Mbps down on average and I'm litteraly 1 bar in the house and 3 bars outside. So all in all considering my home location, I'm quite impressed with Tmo's coverage. My last ATT phone I had to stand in my front yard, hold the phone up and be very very quiet.... I'm hunting for a signal bar. The CDMA networks similarly have terrible coverage where I live.
    I'm on the other side of the river from you in Oregon City. Went to the grocery store earlier tonight prepping for Thanksgiving... decided to run a few tests. Getting about 15-17 down at bigger parts of town... and around 7-8 at home.

I'm in nyc, I KNOW T-Mobile Network is fast, I work all over the city.
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

Default HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Quote Originally Posted by socaltyger View Post
    I'm on the other side of the river from you in Oregon City. Went to the grocery store earlier tonight prepping for Thanksgiving... decided to run a few tests. Getting about 15-17 down at bigger parts of town... and around 7-8 at home.
    I am just north of you in south east Portland, and seeing 9 mbit on an old HSPA+14 phone, and usually around 15-18 mbit at night on Verizon LTE, around 8 mbit in day (505 meters, line of sight to the tower).

HSPA+42 is right up there with the fastest current mobile networks (except the newly minted, completely unloaded ones)

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Craptastic in NYC :thumbdown:
    HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-uploadfromtaptalk1353635381866.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4

This is blazing compared to sprints legacy network lol I can't complain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-screenshot_2012-11-22-19-59-55.png  
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast