HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I've had my N4 for about a week now on T-Mobile and I keep getting 3G vs H in my house. Based on speed tests I'm sure I'm on hspa but not sure why it keeps toggling between the two.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Are you sure that it's not just saying 3G when the phone is not doing anything? That's how mine works...3G displayed whenever I look at the phone while it's not doing anything data related, then H whenever it's transmitting data.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Was just at my daughter's school which has a tower across the street. I got 18mbps. LOL - same speed the phone gets via wifi thru my cable internet at home.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Recent indoor test: 8.2mbps down, 1.4mbps up. I wish the up was twice as fast (for VOIP quality) but the download is great.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I've had my N4 for about a week now on T-Mobile and I keep getting 3G vs H in my house. Based on speed tests I'm sure I'm on hspa but not sure why it keeps toggling between the two.

The phone switches to 3G to save battery.

rexhunt

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone in Portland OR actually seen a HSPA+ 42 connection? It doesn't seem to go any higher than 15 either in downtown, the pearl, or Beaverton

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Wait my phone on T-mobile shows H when idle and H+ when in an active data session. Is this normal since everyone talks about the phone showing 3G when idle?

rexhunt

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been getting closer to 8-9mbps in real world speed however I assumed that the connection on the phones status page would show the data connection as HSPA+ 42 instead of HSPA 15 that it shows

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Wait my phone on T-mobile shows H when idle and H+ when in an active data session. Is this normal since everyone talks about the phone showing 3G when idle?

I've never seen mine display H+ (only H when transmitting data). 2 questions for you:

1. What are your APN settings?
2. What download speeds do you get on speedtest.net?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've never seen mine display H+ (only H when transmitting data). 2 questions for you:

1. What are your APN settings?
2. What download speeds do you get on speedtest.net?

Stock ROM will only show H. Being able to see H+ is a mod and baked into most custom ROMs.

1. epc.t-mobile.com
2. Depending on location anywhere from 4-18 megs per second. Yes I know it's 42 network as I had a GNex and never got more than 8-9 down on T-mobile using same SIM card.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I have many times seen faster upload speeds than download, what gives?! Thought I might be throttled, but got 24mps down later in another part of town.
Another random Verizon LTE speed test. This is getting more common these days - HSPA+ does feel quite real-world competitive when they are both loaded. Not the faster upload than download - likely spectrum constrained.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have many times seen faster upload speeds than download, what gives?! Thought I might be throttled, but got 24mps down later in another part of town.

Could just be timing. I get the same thing running speed test app while connected via Wifi to FiOS at home.

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Queens, NY
anyone getting better speed in NYC?
epymu4u3.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

thebryceee

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Those of you getting 15+Mbps down, can you take a screenshot of your APN settings?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Edit: changed APN protocol and APN roaming protocol back to IPv4 and got this.

The ones before was on IPv4/IPv6

raru4y2y.jpg

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So I just got my straight talk T-Mobile Sim working but something isn't right. I'm in Knoxville so I should have decent speeds but I can't get more than 200kbps down and 700 up. What is going on?

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my straight talk T-Mobile Sim working but something isn't right. I'm in Knoxville so I should have decent speeds but I can't get more than 200kbps down and 700 up. What is going on?

It could be network problems, you could be in a bad area. Try removing the proxy and proxy port from the APN.

zagpoint

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I did a few tests on my nexus 4 (tmo network) and was getting roughly 10Mbps download. This is not bad, but I was hoping for the HSPA+42 speed;-). I am in Fremont CA area and my 'status' shows a "mobile network type" of HSPA:10. What is everybody getting for that value? How does one get HSPA+42:)?

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I did a few tests on my nexus 4 (tmo network) and was getting roughly 10Mbps download. This is not bad, but I was hoping for the HSPA+42 speed;-). I am in Fremont CA area and my 'status' shows a "mobile network type" of HSPA:10. What is everybody getting for that value? How does one get HSPA+42:)?

This probably means category 10, meaning single carrier and 16QAM, and if that is the case you are probably in poor radio conditions - the theoretical max is only about 14 mbps .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.