Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    1,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Default HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

I had to post this speedtest I just got a on Tmobile with my Nexus 4. I know it won't be this fast all the time but, this is the best I've ever seen on HSPA+ If any of you have a good speeds, post them. This is proof that HSPA + 42 is pretty good in some cities.

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

Default Re: HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Nice. What city/metro area are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Would that stream Pandora? Smooth?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by CruzCraz View Post
    I'm stuck using a Droid X2 on Verizon's CDMA network and even I stream Pandora with literally zero lag haha. And I don't think I've seen more than 4mbps down.

I streamed pandora on 2G the other day while doing some tests whether or not I want to switch off of unlimited data. Worked fine, I was even able to stream pandora on 3G from Sprint.

Video is hard to stream, music doesn't take much speed at all to be semi effective. One down is overkill.
    - Kevin Bacon is my bananas.
    Thanked by:

Lol yes... You can stream Pandora on EDGE, you don't need 20mbps down to stream music.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clayjohn View Post
    And I don't think I've seen more than 4mbps down.
    That's because EVDO's theoretical maximum downlink speed is about 3.5mbps .
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Martonik View Post
    Lol yes... You can stream Pandora on EDGE, you don't need 20mbps down to stream music.
    Not sure this is such an open and shut case. For the last two months I've been struggling under 2g speeds as I waited for the network upgrade on my iPhone 4s. Pandora and other streaming services stuttered regularly, and often became unplayable on Edge. The experience was very frustrating. My guess is that since network data is shared and finite, some areas have slower 2G speeds than others. Maybe the N4s faster processor can help a bit too. But the iPhone 4s is no slouch, and for what it's worth i ended up not even bothering with Pandora in 2g locations.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    1+1/Nexus 5
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    1,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

Quote Originally Posted by yfan View Post
    Nice. What city/metro area are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
    Near Atlanta.

I'm in New Orleans which is listed as a HSPA+ 42 city. Just got my N4 today. Here are my results from inside my house. Way better than what I was getting with Sprint with my S2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-screenshot_2012-11-19-23-47-00.png  
    Last edited by flipflopp; 11-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.

I'm looking forward to testing my Nexus 4 later today. I live in Palm Bay, FL and consistently get 7-18mb down on my One S around town. There are HSPA+ towers in my city, an hour north (Orlando) and just to the south (Sebastian), so this phone should be perfect for me!

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

I'll play

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-uploadfromtaptalk1353413898664.jpg  

I'm consistently pulling 20Mbps down and 1.5-3.5 Mpbs up on T-Mobile in DC and Northern Virginia - when I have a signal. Looking forward to receiving my Straight Talk SIM this evening so I can compare. As I said on another thread, I expect I'll sacrifice some speed for better coverage and building penetration on AT&T's network.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    1,748 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock right now

I'm currantly on At&t but I will be porting my primary number to tmobile soon. The speeds are not as fast on At&t and you have to set up the correct APN settings to get any decent speed at all. This phone seems to be made for Tmobile as far as data. HSPA+ 42 is not as fast as LTE but, if your getting 20Mbps down that's enough to do anything. Honestly if you're getting aroung 7-8Mbps that's still enough.

HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.-uploadfromtaptalk1353419694067.jpg

This is my speed test around Portland Tigard and Beaverton area.

UJ95x likes this.

Los Angeles
    Wicket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Mazariegos View Post
    I want my N4 damnit! I'm in LA too...can't wait to get those types of speeds instead of my 200kb type crap with Sprint.
    felipe66 and return_0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by limdoug View Post
    I want my N4 damnit! I'm in LA too...can't wait to get those types of speeds instead of my 200kb type crap with Sprint.
    Me too man, me too. Im already on T-Mobile, think Im just gonna go get one from the store. I can't wait any longer.
    Floss82 likes this.

Anyone getting anything near these speeds in Chicago? My G2 barely gets 0.6mbs down, and it says its on HSPA. Chicago is listed as one of the cities. I want to get the N4, but don't know why Chicago's speeds seem so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMcNugget View Post
    Anyone getting anything near these speeds in Chicago? My G2 barely gets 0.6mbs down, and it says its on HSPA. Chicago is listed as one of the cities. I want to get the N4, but don't know why Chicago's speeds seem so poor.
    From what I hear, Chicago is just a nightmare for every service provider. Apparently AT&T HSPA+ doesn't even work there (in the busy city areas).
    LG Nexus 5 / Galaxy S5 // T-Mobile / AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by DC Wuff View Post
    I'm consistently pulling 20Mbps down and 1.5-3.5 Mpbs up on T-Mobile in DC and Northern Virginia - when I have a signal. Looking forward to receiving my Straight Talk SIM this evening so I can compare. As I said on another thread, I expect I'll sacrifice some speed for better coverage and building penetration on AT&T's network.
    This. I'm in NoVA and I'm getting the fastest speeds I've ever seen on HSPA. ~20Mbps down. My GNex was only pulling around 9-10.

I'm getting 18-20mbps in downtown Palo Alto, CA on my N4. I'm amazed! I'll have to try it in different places -- T-Mobile is quite spotty in my local area, but I never had speeds like this on my Galaxy Nexus. Best I ever saw was 6mbps.
    Thanked by:
    Jnorton2724 likes this.

All the bellyaching about LTE turned out to be nothing.

I ran side by side tests, VZW LTE Galaxy Nexus versus HSPA+ T-Mobile Nexus 4. The download speed was actually intangibly better on HSPA+. This was in Rockville, MD just outside of Washington DC.

ROM
    CM 9.1

From the tests on this page

Qnet Averaged 13.72 Mbps Down / 1.48 up
    Flipflop averaged 8.44 Mbps Down / 1.54 Mbps Up
    Qreepii Averaged 11.83 Mbps Down / 1.41 Mbps Up

Average Nexus 4 Data Speeds from the 3 results on this page are: 11.33 Mbps Down / 1.48 Up
    Thanked by:

Like everyone else coming from Verizon LTE, I'm worried about data speeds, but these results are very encouraging. I'm in a T-Mo HSPA+ city and I'm actually looking forward to eliminating those annoying 3G/LTE handoffs. My Verizon GNex has been getting worse and worse dealing with them lately.

And it might just be me, but Verizon's LTE network isn't quite as fast as it was a year ago. LTE is not the panacea people think it is. Having both CDMA and LTE radios in a phone is problematic for battery life. And from what I understand, the antenna and radios in the N4 are better than typical GSM phones.

ROM
    CM 9.1

Quote Originally Posted by John-Smith View Post
    From the tests on this page

Qnet Averaged 13.72 Mbps Down / 1.48 up
    Flipflop averaged 8.44 Mbps Down / 1.54 Mbps Up
    Qreepii Averaged 11.83 Mbps Down / 1.41 Mbps Up

Average Nexus 4 Data Speeds from the 3 results on this page are: 11.33 Mbps Down / 1.48 Up
    I just tested my network out of curiousity.

My 3g Average Speeds Were: 0.51 Mbps Down / 0.32 Mbps Up (Avg From 4 Results)
    My 4g Average Speeds Were : 1.68 Mbps Down / 0.46 Mbps Up (Avg From 10 Results)

The highest 4g speed I recorded out of 10 tests was 3.6 Mbps
    I had 3 bars for most of the tests.

Attachment 47688

So needless to say, I am not at all concerned about data speeds. Because I know that what I get on the Nexus 4 can't be any worse, if anything I'll get better speeds than I do on Sprint.
    PS: This is in Miami if that matters.
Page 1 of 12 1234 ... LastLast