HSPA+ 42 data speed on Tmobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I did a few tests on my nexus 4 (tmo network) and was getting roughly 10Mbps download. This is not bad, but I was hoping for the HSPA+42 speed;-). I am in Fremont CA area and my 'status' shows a "mobile network type" of HSPA:10. What is everybody getting for that value? How does one get HSPA+42:)?

10mbps is pretty close to HSPA+42 speeds, you've got nothing to worry about. HSPA21 is usually around 5-6mbps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
10mbps is pretty close to HSPA+42 speeds, you've got nothing to worry about. HSPA21 is usually around 5-6mbps.

Except I did get 8+ Mbps in the past on a G2, which is a category 10 device ( HSPA+14 in that nomenclature ), and other people in this thread are getting better than 20 Mbps on +42.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Annapolis MD area getting 15/4 on average. Higher ping times than vzw late but for the most part the coverage is actually better than vzw.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
For what it is worth in comparison: Verizon LTE in downtown Portland today
hu3y2uqa.jpg

500 kbps up and down.

Sent from my Droid DNA

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing about T-Mobile HSPA -

I absolutely love the speed and coverage so far, but why is the ping always so high? I'll get a ping of over a thousand, and then I'll get 28mbps!

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I absolutely love the speed and coverage so far, but why is the ping always so high? I'll get a ping of over a thousand, and then I'll get 28mbps!

It's one of the disadvantages of HSPA+ compared to LTE. The other being upload speeds.

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

I get a good ping if the phone is already showing H when I start the test. Always get a bad ping if it's showing 3G when I start the test. The test always causes it to switch from 3G to H, and I think that negotiation is what causes the slow ping.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I get a good ping if the phone is already showing H when I start the test. Always get a bad ping if it's showing 3G when I start the test. The test always causes it to switch from 3G to H, and I think that negotiation is what causes the slow ping.

Yep - one thing you can try is to go with an immediate second test and see if ping times are way less. I think it's a very fair trade off for the battery saving feature it provides.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Why do so many have 3G when data is idle. I'm on T-mobile postpaid and my phone always shows H when idle.

S_C_B

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it is the phone. I always get 3G when idle on my Nexus 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it depends on the market for some reason. In Minneapolis, I get the 3G when idling, with the switch to H for data use. When I was in NYC a couple days ago, I would get a steady H, even when idle.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I get 3G on idle as well, and H when I'm using data. The high ping times are annoying. I'm keeping a record of my speed tests to compare data speeds between AT&T and T-Mobile, now that I'm with the latter. My speeds are much better at home with T-Mo although the speed itself is just ok. We will see how different areas work out. At home (Dallas, TX) I average 5.46 Mbps down 1.39 Mbps up and 149 ms ping time.

Last edited:

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
All this talk about LTE. I'm getting 18-25mbps on Tmobile H+ who cares about LTE. All this marketing hype. It's faster than my Comcast isp.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
All this talk about LTE. I'm getting 18-25mbps on Tmobile H+ who cares about LTE. All this marketing hype. It's faster than my Comcast isp.

yep! LTE has a higher possible speed but in real world tests they are pretty equal. the only real thing it is better at is the upload speed usually matches the download speed on LTE whereas HSPA+ is more like your home ISP where you have a significantly slower upload rate but hey, that's good enough for us at home so who cares? especially since you already said it's faster than home. I think I posted early in this thread that the average ISP rate is 6.7Mbps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21