So When Do You Think Google Will Activate LTE On The Nexus 4?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
So what gives?

The Nexus 4 is equipped with a multi-band LTE radio, but it's inactive by default.

Basically put - the phone DOES have LTE but the carrier idiotically didn't activate it.

Now with that said, if it didn't have LTE, FINE! I can live with that - and I STILL want this phone, but why include it but not activate it??

Nexus 4 Comes With Surprise Hidden 4G LTE Radio, But Will Google Activate It?

I say we start a pool for funds for whatever dev gets the LTE working FIRST!!!

I'm starting off with 5 bucks payable via paypal

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it has any supporting components to it like the power amplifier or something so it can't be active. I think that was it, I read it somewhere yesterday just skimming by.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Read the article on the front page, there is no antenna for lte, it never went through the fcc, ect. Nice thought but it has to be a lte specific model

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No, your Nexus 4 won't magically grow LTE support | Android Central This unlocked Nexus 4 will literally never have LTE. It is physically impossible for the device to connect to an LTE network, as it is missing an antenna and LTE amplifier. You need more than just a radio to make it work. This isn't up for debate. LTE will not be enabled on the GSM Nexus 4.
Not that these facts will shut the emo crybabies up and not spawn another round of conspiracy theories about how Google is screwing them personally blah-blah-woof-woof.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
No, your Nexus 4 won't magically grow LTE support | Android Central

This unlocked Nexus 4 will literally never have LTE. It is physically impossible for the device to connect to an LTE network, as it is missing an antenna and LTE amplifier. You need more than just a radio to make it work.

This isn't up for debate. LTE will not be enabled on the GSM Nexus 4.

It has an antenna.
The same chip already runs the HSPA radio.
Look at the frequency table. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths
You don't need separate antennas for LTE, because the only reason you need different antennas is for different frequencies.
When antennas can be software programmed you don't even need to be really close in antenna size.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It has an antenna.
The same chip already runs the HSPA radio.
Look at the frequency table. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-UTRA#Frequency_bands_and_channel_bandwidths
You don't need separate antennas for LTE, because the only reason you need different antennas is for different frequencies.
When antennas can be software programmed you don't even need to be really close in antenna size.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

This does nothing to mitigate the other reasons we'll never have LTE in this version of the phone.

Pipe dreams I say.

Also, please tell me how a software update will change the hardware characteristics of the device. One band of LTE reception does not an LTE phone make. You can't make the antenna for that band magically receive signal on another band. Antennas don't work that way.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, Kevin, antennas DO work that way. It's not 1948 any more.
Look up active antennas, software managed antennas and electronic antenna trimming.

There is not one antenna per band in a penta-band phone.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Ziptied

Your Resident Googler
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Look up active antennas, software managed antennas and electronic antenna trimming.

Dear God, can you not read? It lacks an LTE antenna. There will be no LTE N4. Got it? Good.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Hasn't this been covered enough? It's not happening. There are literally zero components inside the phone that will enable the LTE chip to function.

You can't just "activate" it.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hasn't this been covered enough? It's not happening. There are literally zero components inside the phone that will enable the LTE chip to function.

You can't just "activate" it.

There is not talking to iNexus users sometimes. If there is a lte enabled n4, the internals will be slightly different. If there is going to be one, I would expect to see the fcc documents in January

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Since no amount of facts seem to be sinking in with the emo crybabies, here's the thing they should keep in mind in case someone magically patches all the hardware missing out of the equation. Provided you McGuyver around the hardware, actually using your hacked-together magical LTE phone would be a...

FEDERAL CRIME!!!!

...since it's not certified by the FCC. Oh, yeah, then there's also that "Whole whose airwaves are you going to run it on?" thing. This isn't the same thing as rooting in your own hotspot app. They're not going to be happy about uncertified, unapproved hardware on their air.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

There also is not just ONE antenna to cover all bands. You're still limited by the number of tx/rx channels. Which is dependent on the number of antennas available.

Software can't make up for missing hardware. No matter how hard you try.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
After switching from the GS3 and using the Nexus 4 I don't see the big deal. LTE is nice but HSPA+ is not as bad as people have made it out to be in reviews. This was something I worried about the most but its not an issue. This phone won't magically get LTE though so if LTE is a must, wait for a new nexus phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums