Nexus 4 + Google Voice

dwr3ck3d

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I have Sprint and also don't have an upgrade until November 2013 due to switching of contract renewals... blah, blah, blah.

I'm not really familiar with Google Voice and how it works, but I saw that the Nexus 4 is offered at a much more reasonable price versus all the high cost of other mobile devices out there. Would I be able to keep my same phone (HTC Evo 4G) and number to route through Google Voice and use the Nexus 4 for SMS and calls?

I assume I would then only be able to get data via WiFi, which might not be much of an issue because I have that at home and work. The more I write and think about this it seems like less of a good idea, but still would like to know the answer to the question above as I am curious about it. Thanks for any and all feedback!

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
You wouldn't be able to use the N4 for cellular calls, but if you wanted to, I guess you could use it for VOIP calls when you are on wifi. Doesn't seem like a very elegant solution because you'd need to carry around two phones.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice is not a VOIP solution, it is a call forwarding solution. In order to use GV without any extra hassles, you'd need an active SIM with a phone number and calling features attached to it to make calls.

There are 3rd party VOIIP solutions that use the Google Talk interface with your Google Voice number to offer calling support, but for you that'd only be on Wifi.

Regardless of how you try it, its going to be a hassle. If you really want the N4 and want to use it as a primary device you should consider breaking your contract and selling your device, and switching to the N4 with another prepaid GSM carrier. Anything less than that is just going to be a big hassle IMO.

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
GrooveIP lets you make VOIP calls using 4g as far as I know. Have not tested it yet myself but I believe there is an option.

tyea

May 23, 2011
Visit site
You might want to consider comparing costs of terminating your Sprint contract and going with a T-Mobile value plan. I'm terminating my Sprint family plan contract 6 months early, and going with a bunch of Nexus 4s on T-Mobile. I'm getting an 'average' of 30 times faster download speeds than I did with my Sprint Galaxy Nexus.

Nexus4, Tapatalk

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I have Sprint and also don't have an upgrade until November 2013 due to switching of contract renewals... blah, blah, blah.

I'm not really familiar with Google Voice and how it works, but I saw that the Nexus 4 is offered at a much more reasonable price versus all the high cost of other mobile devices out there. Would I be able to keep my same phone (HTC Evo 4G) and number to route through Google Voice and use the Nexus 4 for SMS and calls?

I assume I would then only be able to get data via WiFi, which might not be much of an issue because I have that at home and work. The more I write and think about this it seems like less of a good idea, but still would like to know the answer to the question above as I am curious about it. Thanks for any and all feedback!

Whoa! I have to disagree with all the previous posters. Here's the real deal: I am also on Sprint, and Sprint offers full Google Voice integration. What this means is that Sprint will essentially allow you to port your number to Google Voice without disassociating it from your Sprint account and charging you an ETF. Once you've set up GV on your EVO, you can set up GV on your N4 and configure it to route all cellular calls and SMS through Google Voice -- in effect "overlaying" your Sprint number on your N4. This is what I have done, and it's working flawlessly -- I just use GV instead of the default messaging app for texting. The only exception is that GV does not support MMS, so you'll have to use your N4 number for that.

Sorry if this is confusing. Let me know if you have questions and I'll try to clarify when I have more time.

Edited after re-reading the OP: You can't do this without buying a SIM (ideally on a prepaid plan) for the N4. And I'm only using this as an interim measure until I've decided that the N4 on a prepaid plan is for me, and I'm ready to eat the ETF from Sprint. Then I'll break the GV integration and port my number from Sprint to the MVNO of my choice (likely Straight Talk on AT&T network).

EnderTheThird

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Depending on how much you're paying on Sprint (and if it's just you vs. being on a family plan), you might save money over the next year before your next phone upgrade through Sprint even if you have to pay the ETF.

My example:

Stay with Verizon through contract end date in December 2013:
VZW family share 700 shared minutes + 4GB/line: ~$160/mo for 2 people with my school's 15% discount (we pay $175 with phone insurance)
Total cost: $160 x 13 months = $2080

Terminate VZW Contract and go with Straight Talk for next 13 months:
ETF if both me and my brother break contract: ~$460 total
Sell VZW Galaxy Nexus x2 + accessories on eBay: ~$450
Cost of 16GB N4 x2: ~$750
Cost of ST service x13 mo: $90 x 13 months = $1170
Total Cost over 13 months: $460 - $450 + $750 + 1170 = $1930.

So my brother and I will save about $75 each over the course of the year AND we get the new sexy with the N4. This has the added benefit of us not being under contract so we can change phones whenever we want or jump ship to a post-paid plan if the deal is enticing enough -- I don't really see that happening though. I demoed Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM for about a week earlier this month using my roommate's old phone, and the coverage seemed to be just as good if not better than my VZW GNex. Part of that might be the GNex's relatively poor reception, but even so, I think I'll be plenty happy with my decision... if and when my N4 shows up!

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Op,

You can do a lot with wifi only n4 such as making and receiving gv phone calls, sms. I'm on 100 min plan so I set up mine not to use cellular voice.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

darthus

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
You can also try talkatone. It uses your Google Voice account to make free phone calls with data. It can even intercept calls made using the default dialer app, and can intercept incoming calls as well.

Vizualize

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You can do what you are looking to do. The texts would be coming from the same # regardless of what phone you use.

1. Get a google voice #
2. Get a Nexus 4
3. Get the Groove IP app for your Nexus 4
4. Make calls using Groove IP (VoIP) over wifi with your google voice #
5. Make calls using Groove IP (VoIP) over 3g/4g using your mobile data (not minutes) ((if you get a sim for Nexus 4)

I myself have gone tot he $30 5 gig/100 minutes plan in tmobile from Sprint and it is like night and day. Much MUCH faster DL speeds. Much better phone. Im coming off EVO LTE.

anton2g

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ace,

I was looking into the exact same setup that you have. Nexus 4 with T-Mobile $30 plan with 100 minutes and making and receiving my calls through Google Voice. How did you get that setup, did you use GrooVe or Talkatone? Was it easy to get this setup on the Nexus 4?

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to tell everyone here replying with all this info: YOU GUYS ROCK!! Thank you for showing the steps on how to use Google voice and groove IP together to make free calls! I'm going to look into this option asap. Thanks again!