Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Default Re: Nexus 4 scratch test

Quote Originally Posted by tjm9007 View Post
    I wonder why there is no sound?

I can wave my hand over the phone with sharp objects as well.
    There is sound on my video. U can't hear him lifting and tapping the objects on the screen to show u he is actually doing it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Not that I want anyone to try this with their own Nexus phone they spent their money on, but it would be nice to see someone drop things on their phone from about 6 to 8 inches to see if it would scratch. I was thinking like a handful of:
    coins
    rocks
    sand
    keys

I would think that Gorilla Glass can take scratching like the video but not sure if it would take something dropping from a short distance and letting it move on its freewill. Just seems weird that this video shows no scratches yet people are still saying their phone has them.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

I was under the impression most scratches on screens these days were caused by grit/sand lying dormant in the pocket waiting to strike an unsuspecting naked phone screen. Rather than something large like keys or a flick knife or a frikin gun.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket with anything else just incase and yet there is still a tiny scratch on my GNexus.

The one on diaplay at tmobile was scratched to hell.. just saying.

ROM
    Stock 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by HTCTundaBow View Post
    The one on diaplay at tmobile was scratched to hell.. just saying.
    Are you sure it was scratched and not just in need of a decent clean from all the greasy fingered children? I can't imagine a display phone being subjected to objects that would scratch a phone normally in a display environment. Unless someone has specifically attacked it to test it or the TMobile staff were using it for football practice?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by MrSherms View Post
    True, but I doubt they are carried open with the blade exposed (at least not intentionally). Which leads me to a question for OP: Did you do the test with the sharp, exposed corner of the box cutter, or just the edge of the sheath? It's kind of hard to tell from the video.

Also, gotta agree with your comment from the video: 0:27 - "I like 'em naked." Do you feel like you still have that "naked" feel with the bumper on?
    I used the sharp razor end of the box cutter.

Quote Originally Posted by Szabinger View Post
    Haha this is bullsh*t... Try scratching with a needle, or something very sharp and pointy. Of you vont scratch it with a key... Even my old sgs can take that.
    Box cutter not sharp enough?

Quote Originally Posted by tjm9007 View Post
    I wonder why there is no sound?

I can wave my hand over the phone with sharp objects as well.
    There's no sound because there's no scratching. You need friction to hear the sound. The gorilla glass is harder than keys, boxcutter, coins so those things just glide across the surface. The only sound you hear is the impact from first contact... scratching motion just glides across the surface.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Quote Originally Posted by arathkone View Post
    I was under the impression most scratches on screens these days were caused by grit/sand lying dormant in the pocket waiting to strike an unsuspecting naked phone screen. Rather than something large like keys or a flick knife or a frikin gun.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket with anything else just incase and yet there is still a tiny scratch on my GNexus.
    This is what I feel is the cause of most scratches as well (at least in these latest and greatest phones with gorilla glass).

Quote Originally Posted by arathkone View Post
    Are you sure it was scratched and not just in need of a decent clean from all the greasy fingered children? I can't imagine a display phone being subjected to objects that would scratch a phone normally in a display environment. Unless someone has specifically attacked it to test it or the TMobile staff were using it for football practice?
    I went into the TMobile store to activate my Nexus4 (from a Blackberry Bold 9700... free sim, no charge btw).. and saw the Nexus4 display model. It looked beat up under the display light, but upon closer inspection it was exactly as you said.. just greasy finger print streaks enhanced by the angled light.
    Thanked by:

I just got my nexus 4 today 11/21/12 10:30AM EST, around 7PM est I found a scratch on the back close to the camera. I can feel or see it hardly but just wanted to share with you guys.
    I call them for a replacement but they are out of stock, so its a bad luck I guess

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by socaltyger View Post
    Lots of folks are worried about the Nexus 4 glass screens. In case you guys were curious, here's my newly delivered Nexus 4 (both front and back) vs boxcutter, keys, coins, wrench.

You, sir, are a brave man.

Kudos and thanks for having the balls to scratch test and tape it for all of us! :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 7
    socaltyger likes this.

Take a quarter and hit it with a hammer real hard afew times on pavement. Then with that beat up quarter try and scratch the screen. I dare you.
    Thanked by:
    JeffDenver likes this.
    ThunderboltTool Developer

ROM
    Liquid JB v2.1 Alpha6

Default Nexus 4 scratch test

I don't even know how it happened. Noticed it on day 4.

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by o0cdiddy View Post
    ...we should rename the TB the Menstrualbolt
    If you like something i have done and would like to contribute my nerd fund, you may do so here

No, it was definitely scratched, front and back. I could feel it with my finger nail.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

My back is scratched too--1st full day of use. Must've rubbed against my keys or something in my bag. Disappoint. At this point, it's already scratched, so putting a smooth cover on it won't adhere to the grooves very well.

ROM
    HyperNonSense ICS

I'd like to see some sandpaper scratch tests. Metal is softer than glass (silicon), so these tests are pointless.

Screen protector, front and back, no scratch problem.

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by socaltyger View Post
    Lots of folks are worried about the Nexus 4 glass screens. In case you guys were curious, here's my newly delivered Nexus 4 (both front and back) vs boxcutter, keys, coins, wrench.
    You are a lot braver than I am.

Global Posts
    2,782 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    Screen protector, front and back, no scratch problem.
    I have no protector at all.

Front is virtually mint. No scratches. Despite several drops. My display did shatter once ($150 mistake), but no scratches.

Back has a few faint scratches...I don't think it is gorilla glass like the front. I get concerned only because it covers the lens of the camera as well, so a scratch could cause problems there.

Hmm, had this phone (N4's cousin) for a month and two weeks. Have it in a simple case so the back glass is protected. I JUST noticed a few nearly imperceptible nicks on the front display. I BABY this sucker but life happens.

Considering a screen protector but this touch screen is such money I'm loath to put anything between the screen and the sublime gesture response.

I went 2+ years with an HTC Inspire and its Gorilla Glass 1 and no screen protector and managed just fine.

I'll only put one on this phone if it's made so well I won't even know I have it on.

Sent from my LG-E970 using AC Forums mobile app

I think this Screen is pants. I used a screen protector from day one. Then i red all these stuff and thought, heck, lets take it off. used it for a week, with little else in my pocket (obviously if i had something i knew it would scratch - so consciously avoided putting keys etc). Feeling good about the naked feeling and then BAM , i noticed a very faint scratch....! I thought i had this Gorilla glass stuff, and it seemed to have scratched!

Hey ho.. back to screen protectors!

Hold the screen of your N 4 against a grinding wheel, turn it on, press real hard, and let us know what happened.

I dropped my Nexus 4 on the ground and it slid along the floor for a few feet. The rear glass has a really deep scratch or a hairline crack in it now. Knives and other metal objects will not scratch the glass. Sand, stones, and grit will scratch it though.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegoman View Post
    I dropped my Nexus 4 on the ground and it slid along the floor for a few feet. The rear glass has a really deep scratch or a hairline crack in it now. Knives and other metal objects will not scratch the glass. Sand, stones, and grit will scratch it though.

Posted via Android Central App
    Sand and grit are the worst for scratching something.

Does anyone know if salt will scratch it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    Does anyone know if salt will scratch it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    No it shouldn't

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

My n4 is less than 2 months old. I took of the scratch guards that came on it..and now I have 3 scratches on the screen

Please suggest some good quality scratch guards and a cover for the phone..As much as i hate putting a cover on the phone, I don't have a choice! **** Gorilla glass!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast