Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By harrycarry250
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Default Another Nexus 4 issue

SOLVED: I feel stupid now, but in a good way because I learned something. The screen protector was the root of my issues and I great thank those that help!

After having my Nexus 4 for about 4 days an odd problem and I am not sure what the root of it is. When I go to make a phone call me screen goes black and the phone becomes unresponsive. No matter how many times I click the power button the screen will not turn on but it will occasionally flash. Only when the call is over the phone goes back to normal operation. Since the prime function of the device is to make phone calls I see this as a big bug. I believe it is software but it could very well be hardware. I have tried to reset the device three times with no luck. I have reset with the settings and back up boxes ticked and unticked.
    Thanks
    Last edited by harrycarry250; 11-21-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Global Posts
    477 Global Posts

Default Re: Another Nexus 4 issue

Sounds like a software problem. Very annoying though.

Uh oh...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Anyone have a clue of whats what?

Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. It's designed to shut the screen off during a call so your face doesn't accidentally hang up or whatever.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts

I had the same symptoms the first hour of use on my Nexus 4, but it seems to have gone away. I do believe it was proximity sensor related, because I was in an office near a bright fluorescent light source that seemed to effect the screen on/off, depending on which way the proximity sensor was pointed.

Nexus4, Tapatalk

I have a similar problem, but my phone becomes responsive again after a few secs. FIX THIS GOOOGLE

I think this should go in one of the other 4 threads about problems. I feel like you guys are test pilots. Thank you and I hope everything works out.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Paranoid android

I have no problem being a early adopter/tester but when it interferes with making phone calls... I mean, the only thing I expect a phone do is is make calls and this one has trouble.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Strong View Post
    Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. It's designed to shut the screen off during a call so your face doesn't accidentally hang up or whatever.
    +1. I think it a combination of proximity and gyroscope. While I understand the idea, it can be frustrating. Make sure the device is parrellel with the ground (at least less than perpendicular/veritical) for the screen options to appear during a phone call.

I had same issue, I mistakenly called someone while playing with contacts and screen went black..pressed power button to no avail and it came back after few seconds(luckily the person didn't pick it up at other end).

I agree that it appears to be a proximity sensor issue, it happened to me almost everytime I used voicemail at first. What works for me is to be in a well lit area and then it happens much less often. It appears that it is just overly sensitive expecially once a call has been placed.

ROM
    Stock

The best way to know whether it's a proximity sensor or gyro problem is to simply download AndroSensor and test out all the hardware features (something I recommend doing with any newly-acquired phone). It displays the current output from all of the built-in sensors in real time.

Just had this exact thing happen while trying to end a call. Phone screen was black, and no matter what I did it wouldn't turn back on, just occasionally flashed quickly.

Do any of you have a screen protector covering the proximity sensor? That's what happened on my Lumia 800 lol
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post
    Do any of you have a screen protector covering the proximity sensor? That's what happened on my Lumia 800 lol
    This! That was what happened with my S2 on Sprint. If you do have one that may be the issue as well
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    Paranoid android

Quote Originally Posted by AbuYazeedUK View Post

Thank you soooooo much!!! That was my problem!
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.

so you removed the protector? ( i have the same issue)

you can try cutting it with a knife, I mean it's gorilla glass and it shouldn't scratch while the screen protector will be cut through.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubertsng View Post
    you can try cutting it with a knife, I mean it's gorilla glass and it shouldn't scratch while the screen protector will be cut through.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by DogPsyche View Post

that's what i'm going to do lol when my Nexus 4 comes, no earpiece cut out.

This issue exists in a different way for me. I have power button set to end phone call. At least I used to. I had to turn that option off because if I'm on speaker or have headphones plugged in and the screen turns off, it won't turn back on!! I hate it!

I'm naked on the front. It's just some other issue. Only way to turn the screen on would be to plug the charger in or out. So I just turned that option off with the power button.

It sucks

I'm having the same problem as the OP.

I installed AndroSensor which is reading 0.00 on the proximity sensor.

I do have a screen protector on mine and removed it at the top while I was in AndroSensor and it didn't make a difference.

Is it a just a matter of me restarting it with the cover off to get the proximity sensor working? Or is there something else I need to do in order to get it running?

Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP PUB / Franco Kernel

i sometimes get a bug where i press the power / wake button and the phone in unresponsive for a few seconds with the screen off.. after a few seconds pressing the button again immediately wakes it.

edit.. no case or screen protector
    Google Android Affectionado

I had the same issue and I took out my screen protector and it fix it. Thank you for your help!!