Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkovacs
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Default USB host mode (OTG)

I'm currently shopping for my next phone and the Nexus 4 is a compelling option but for the 8GB/16GB memory and no SD. So I was reading about USB host mode and wondered if anyone has gotten it working on the Nexus 4 with a data stick? From what I've read at XDA and other sites it doesn't seem to work with storage devices. Anyone have any real experience with it or plan on trying it?

Thanks,
    ...Joe K.
    donec likes this.

Default Re: USB host mode (OTG)

Unfortunately, it looks like there is no OTG support in N4. It is not a JellyBean 4.2 issue, that has been fixed for Nexus 7 (N7) via StickMount

There is an issue 40087 open on code.google.com (), please star it so it gets some attention.
    After all, OTG support (at least for mice, keyboard) has been promised, see

cheers, sean

I love my nexus 4!! It's 3 days old (to me) and now i find out no USB OTG? I'll give Google a week for an official response, then I have to figure out if i'm going to send it back or not.

i just found out what this was. so i realized i can live without it. but this means i cant plug a usb drive to it or a ps3 controller? am i missing anything else

You guys know its going to be added in a rom right? My Note didn't come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    You guys know its going to be added in a rom right? My Note didn't come with it.
    Not if there is a hardware limitation

To me its a warning sign.

Buzzing noises
    Cracked Glass
    no LTE then maybe LTE
    now disappearing usb OTG.

I do my homework before I spend my money and i was a "believer" when they announced the Nexus 4. Now i'm having doubts. If Google just gave me an official statement that would put a lot of my fears to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Not if there is a hardware limitation
    If my note has it your nexus 4 has it.

How did you draw that conclusion?

Strange...

Just a few days ago I was watching a tech blogger's video showing how to connect a flash drive full of music to a Nexus 4, browse its files and play music directly from it without first copying files to the N4's internal memory.

If I recall correctly, I found the link to the video right here at AndroidCentral. If I can locate it again I will post it here.
    Thanked by:
    Kamin 

Quote Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post

Buzzing noises
    Cracked Glass
    no LTE then maybe LTE

I do my homework before I spend my money and i was a "believer" when they announced the Nexus 4. Now i'm having doubts. If Google just gave me an official statement that would put a lot of my fears to bed.
    Google have updated their website and it say that USB keyboard, mouse and game controller does not work :-)

Global Posts
    2,194 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N4Newbie View Post
    Strange...

Just a few days ago I was watching a tech blogger's video showing how to connect a flash drive full of music to a Nexus 4, browse its files and play music directly from it without first copying files to the N4's internal memory.

If I recall correctly, I found the link to the video right here at AndroidCentral. If I can locate it again I will post it here.
    Yeah no, that wasn't a Nexus 4. No way. If such a video existed, it would have made major news cause every phone website has pointed out that Google pulled a bait and switch with the Nexus 4 USB otg.

I have both a Optimus G and the Nexus 4. Neither one does USB OTG. It is a hardware limitation. The USB port doesn't supply the 5V of power that USB devices require. A ROM won't fix that. Using a ROM might somday allow for an incredibly inconvenient work around that involves the use of a powered USB hub, but it won't allow for proper USB otg like we expected.

Frankly, I am not surprised. If the phone were able to provide the required 5V and minimum 500mA required by USB standards, wouldn't that be a major drain?

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Wow, really? I feel sort of bad for telling all of the "must have a sd card" folks to relax as this would be an option. I have it setup for my gnex but I never actually use it lol.

Who wants to spend around a 100 bucks to buy one of these and see if the N4 can read / write to its built-in flash drive?

And a less expensive model that also includes built-in flash memory:

Far more portable/practical if the main goal is to have additional memory (presuming that it works).

Because those phones have anything to do with each other?

Quote Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post

Buzzing noises
    Cracked Glass
    no LTE then maybe LTE
    No host mode is a warning sign? Huh, for what?

Every device has issues, don't let a few threads misguide you.