Nexus 4 vs iPhone 4S / 5 camera

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a good comparison between the iPhone 4s/5 cameras and the nexus 4.

I have an iPhone 4S and am considering replacing it with a nexus 4. My biggest concern is the camera quality. I think my iPhone takes incredible pictures for a phone and am very hesitant to downgrade the quality of my camera. I known the megapixel count is similar, but I am more interested in learning about differences in the quality of the lens and the sensor. Can anyone please point me to any information comparing the two?

Please do not send me any reasons why android is better than iOS (I use both and know the differences) or how the stock camera apps differ. I just want info on the actual quality of the camera and resulting pictures.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info. If you only owned the nexus 4, would you miss the iPhone camera? Is the difference large enough that you care?

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm undecided on that so far. I haven't looked at many pics on the computer yet to get a good feel but yeah. I would say the n4 camera leaves a lot to be desired.

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had both and to me the iphone 5 takes crisper pictures. That is not enough for me to even consider going back to the i5

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. If you only owned the nexus 4, would you miss the iPhone camera? Is the difference large enough that you care?

I wouldn't miss it, but that's due in part to the fact that iOS doesn't compare to the phone and Android itself for me. I'm somewhat of a photophile myself, so I recognize the iPhone has a better camera, but I don't feel its SO much better that I could ignore everything else. Its certainly not a deal breaker. If it were that serious, I would just continue using my actual camera and never worry about taking pictures with my phone, which in my opinion, is still a luxury/convenience more than anything.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
If photography is that important to you, you shouldn't be using a phone for pictures.....

In saying that, the iPhone 4S and 5 take better shots than my Nexus 4.

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all of the responses. I am still debating.

I have and love a DSLR and a number of nice lenses. But there are times when a quick shot with a phone is easier. After all, the best camera in the world is the one you have with you. My iPhone (and if I had a nexus 4) will take a much better picture than my D90 when its sitting at home on my shelf. And while of course I do better with my DSLR, I am so amazed at how well a cell phone camera can take a picture these days.

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Since photos on the N4 isn't too spectacular and mainly washed out, is there a software/app that can be installed to convert those pictures to a nice colorful crisp look, I think that is what people want if they intend to want decent pics for the N4.

I also think the glass on back covering the camera itself may be contributing to the washed out look, I wonder if there is a kind of HD filter in the form of a static sticker that we could put on that area to fix this?

bergerdml

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm interesting. I haven't looked that closely at the physical build of the nexus 4. Is the rear glass actually an issue?

cunparis

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
If photography is that important to you, you shouldn't be using a phone for pictures.....

This quote is usually said by those who don't own a DSLR. Those of us who do know how much they weigh and how often they get left at home.

Picture quality is one of the most important criteria for me. I get so many impromptu snapshots of the kids that a good camera (sitting at home) would never get.

iPhone has better quality pictures but it's twice the cost. I can't justify that. So for me it's in between the Galaxy S3 & Nexus 4. I think the S3 has better picture quality but at higher price and dependance on Samsung for Android updates (which may not happen when S4 is released).

ecpolo521

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't stand the comment of you should be using a DSLR. Obviously genius, but for those that don't have a camera on hand, the phone is the next option. I too am concerned with picture quality, especially since I'll be coming from the 4S. I've seen enough Nexus 4 samples that I believe they will be good enough. I know the N4 will make it up in other areas that hopefully I wont focus so much on the camera. I'm not sure if this was posted here or on XDA, but these videos are interesting from a photographers perspective.

Part 1
Google Nexus 4 Camera Test 1080p Part One - YouTube

Part 2
Google Nexus 4 Camera Test 1080p Part Two - YouTube

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
This quote is usually said by those who don't own a DSLR. Those of us who do know how much they weigh and how often they get left at home.

Picture quality is one of the most important criteria for me. I get so many impromptu snapshots of the kids that a good camera (sitting at home) would never get.

iPhone has better quality pictures but it's twice the cost. I can't justify that. So for me it's in between the Galaxy S3 & Nexus 4. I think the S3 has better picture quality but at higher price and dependance on Samsung for Android updates (which may not happen when S4 is released).

It might also be worth buying a dedicated 12-16 megapixel pocket-sized shooter with a decent battery for those " want better-than-phone pictures but not the bulk" times You can get OK ones for very little money, and while nowhere near DSLR quality, the larger lens means more light collection and a better chance at a great picture. I used to own an SLR back in the film days, and I always also owned a 110 pocket sized camera for carrying around when the beast was too unwieldy. Some of my most memorable shots are on 110 film. Not as good as getting them with the SLR, but better than not having them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MANdroidd

Banned
Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I give credit where it is due and the iphone 5 camera is great. But the Nexus 4 is no slouch either. With either phone we'll be able to instagram to our hearts content so lets all just be thankful our phones are so amazing hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36