Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hamish2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Smile Nexus 4 - 1st time android user from blackberry - happy I switched

Hi

As in the subject I am the proud owner of a new Nexus 4 that I bought from the Play store and have now owned since Friday last week.

I am very happy with my purchase. I was about to buy an iPhone 5 unlocked to work with t-mobile us (I have a value plan unlimited data voice text $45), but was never able to find any in stock, so when the Nexus was made available, I thought I would give it a try. Best decision ever...

Although I have owned Macs for the last 10 years I had always resisted the iPhone, but it was getting to the point that blackberries and Macs did not synchronize that easily so I was reluctantly falling to the iPhone pressure. I have happily used Gmail, voice, calendars, drive, chrome since they were introduced and they work excellently on the Mac, so when I switched on the Nexus and entered my Google account details everything synchronized and it was so easy, apart from initially not knowing how to answer a call (I tried pressing the green icon rather than knowing to drag to answer)...

I was sad to leave the blackberry bold 9900 behind, but I am now ready to sell it on eBay and recoup the bulk of my Nexus purchase price

I settled for the 8gb version as I only use business apps and I use Google Drive across 4 google accounts to store my files, photos, and music.

The only hiccup so far was the SGP screen protector that did not have a cutout for the proximity sensor meaning for 2 days the screen would freeze during calls, so as soon as I removed the screen it functioned as normal. SGP have refunded and explained that they will have new screen protectors in 2-weeks with the correct cutout.

Cheers
    Hamish

Default Re: Nexus 4 - 1st time android user from blackberry - happy I switched

Least thats good that SGP are refunding you. I am glad you are enjoying the N4, Android and a lucky one to get your hands on one. On your opinion how does it feel in your hand as such?
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

It's completely different from your BlackBerry, isn't it?

Welcome to Android and congrats on getting the phone. I have had every nexus phone so far and have loved every one. I was not as lucky as you to get the N4 day one, I tried like hell but failed! There are definitely some things to figure out on android, this is the place to do it. These forums are a really nice environment and very supportive of those that are new to the OS. Some other sites have lots of members that beat you down if you ask a question that has been covered somewhere in the previous 3,956,756 posts, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Android has a great community around it, enjoy.

Even blackberry owners have their Nexus 4s

It's like going from a rusty bicycle to a shiny new Mercedes, eh?

I had a 9930 (CDMA on Sprint) for work and a 9700 (GSM on T-Mobile) as my own phone for a while. I don't know why it took me so long to switch to Android.

Also, be glad you didn't get an iPhone 5--as far as I know, T-Mobile's HSPA+ here in SoCal is all on 1700MHz and wouldn't work on the iPhone until they get to rolling out 1900. iPhone 5 on EDGE? No thanks.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Hi all

I was very lucky to be able to buy the Nexus 4 on day one - I heard a lot of people had loads of problems but my transaction was smooth sailing - maybe it was just meant to be after days of going back and forth to my local Apple store to just find that they did not have stock of the iPhone 5 - I have loads of friends that have the iPhone and I would not spend another $350 for one of those unlocked...

As for comparing it my old BlackBerries that I have owned, we'll "night and day" is the obvious words that spring to mind. BlackBerry lpaved the way, but have not provided my main necessity in a smartphone, that is the ability to keep my business in sync between my Macs and my phone. Yes, I was able to sync using Google, but let's be honest it is so half arsed compared to syncing on Android.

Nexus wins with screen, speed, browser, business apps galore (including a Cisco.Anyconnect VPN and an as400 emulator that I use to login to my work with - old skool)

Maybe battery life could be better, but I am still getting 12 hours worth doing my usual daily business, and to be honest the only reason my BlackBerry. Bold 9900 was better for battery (24 hours) was because I used a hybrid os rather than the stock is...

I trust I will learn loads here, as I did over on CrackBerry...
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

I love the the phone design and the size is great for me - I did think it would be too big, but to be honest I have big hands and chubby fingers so it is the perfect shape and size - I can even use it one handed (unlock, dial numbers, and basic texts - the rest I need 2 hands for but early days)...

Quote Originally Posted by Fairclough View Post
    Least thats good that SGP are refunding you. I am glad you are enjoying the N4, Android and a lucky one to get your hands on one. On your opinion how does it feel in your hand as such?
    Fairclough likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Yet again I am lucky as T-Mobile have some 1900 areas here in Orange County including my local transmitter in Dana Point...

Quote Originally Posted by saeufer View Post
    It's like going from a rusty bicycle to a shiny new Mercedes, eh?

I had a 9930 (CDMA on Sprint) for work and a 9700 (GSM on T-Mobile) as my own phone for a while. I don't know why it took me so long to switch to Android.

Also, be glad you didn't get an iPhone 5--as far as I know, T-Mobile's HSPA+ here in SoCal is all on 1700MHz and wouldn't work on the iPhone until they get to rolling out 1900. iPhone 5 on EDGE? No thanks.