Nexus 4 cannot connect to Wifi

li wei

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus4 can not connect to Wifi. I tried many methods, changing the router configuration, setting static IP address and so on, but all are failed.
Everytime when I try to connect, it shows"connecting", then "saved", not connected or disable, even I entered wrong password or no password for router, same showing.
Is there anybody know how to fix it?
If the Wifi problem can be resolved the Nexus4 is perfect.:(

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 4 can not connect to Wifi

My Nexus4 can not connect to Wifi. I tried many methods, changing the router configuration, setting static IP address and so on, but all are failed.
Everytime when I try to connect, it shows"connecting", then "saved", not connected or disable, even I entered wrong password or no password for router, same showing.

Are you able to look at the debugging on the router for the WiFi connections?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

li wei

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

No...I am not able to see the debugging.
At last, I build another router in my computer, then try to connect it, it works. :)
However, still can not connect to the wifi of the router directly. I think there can be some bugs on the new Jelly Bean system about the Wifi connecting. Other devices with lower android version works while the 4.2 not.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site

No...I am not able to see the debugging.
At last, I build another router in my computer, then try to connect it, it works. :)
However, still can not connect to the wifi of the router directly. I think there can be some bugs on the new Jelly Bean system about the Wifi connecting. Other devices with lower android version works while the 4.2 not.

I don't have any issues with 4.2 on my N7. There are lots of variables to configure on both sides. I find it hard to believe that something as known as WiFi could go out the door with bugs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

As I was reading anandtech's review I noticed that, while the Nexus 4 supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz, it only connects to the 5GHz on a 20MHz antennae bandwidth. Might you be trying to connect to the 5GHz band and your router is set to use or is limited to 40MHz?

I agree with theduder's initial thought that its probably a router issue.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think it's a router issue - my home router (airport extreme) works fine with n4 but at my girl friends her router I couldn't download any data from. The wifi status logo on the n4 is greyed out but is showing as connected.

Apparently an issue for some iPhones as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Donforreal

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue with my n4 only connecting to my router when it wants. But I found a weird way to make it connect every time, I have to open up
Display in settings and go to the bottom to wireless display then I turn it on and search for display then I turn it off and go to Wi-Fi settings and it immediately connects inexplicably.

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this issue as well. I will be connected to wifi fine, but if I leave the house and come back it won't connect. The only way I can get it to work is to turn wifi off and then back on again.

dcdttu

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
Just got my N4 last night at 8pm (get it, UPS!). At home with an Airport Extreme it connects fine. At work it has issues. Greyed out wifi icon, turn off wifi, turn on - once back on it took about 45 seconds to identify any networks. It was just stuck.

Definitely something wrong with wifi on this device.

hankdu

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just got my N4 last night at 8pm (get it, UPS!). At home with an Airport Extreme it connects fine. At work it has issues. Greyed out wifi icon, turn off wifi, turn on - once back on it took about 45 seconds to identify any networks. It was just stuck.

Definitely something wrong with wifi on this device.

I hope someone, or google, finds a fix for this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Unplug your router and plug it back in.

Then reboot your device.

Nathan Askew

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had issues with my Wi-Fi as well. It won't authenticate unless I set a static IP. Something is not quite right somewhere. I have seen other forums reporting similar issues.

kappsta

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue over the last few days. Sometimes it just says "connecting..." and then saved but never connects. Password is fine. Now as I'm typing this out it magically connected. Weird. I'm on a Linksys WRT54G running Tomato firmware.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had similar issues on a D-link el cheapo router which worked fine with my gnex. I had a netgear lying around and hooked that up and now connects instantly.

Sent from my mako :)p)

Mark Goodson

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Same here. The N4 is connected to the home router, no problem. I leave, come back and the N4 can't see my home network (but plenty of surrounding ones). I stop the WiFi, restart it and it connects immediately. Slightly annoying because I use DoggCatcher to download podcasts, and have it set to only do so over WiFi to save my data allowance. So it looks like I'll have to remember to manually reset my N4's WiFi every time I'm at home if I want updates and podcasts to download. Hmmmm....

vNaK

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have trouble connecting it to my hotspot on my Note 2. Connects fine to my mifi jetpack. And even when its connected to my phone, sometimes the internet doesn't work. More often than not it does not work.

Steven Braithwaite

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my brand new Nexus 4 that arrived yesterday. Wifi worked for most of the day and then in the evening stopped, but remained connected with an excellent signal. I have rebooted the router too many times today, changed nearly every wifi setting on the Nexus and still not working bar a few minutes when it connected earlier today. The wifi bars stay grey, when it was connected they turned blue.
After waiting 5 weeks for delivery, I'm not particularly impressed. All my other devices are working on the same router ie. laptop, iphone, ipad
Google please fix fast!

LordNerble

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I have been playing with my Nexus 4 and Switching between mt Optimus G and nexus and for a few days i didn't not use my nexus so the battery drained and when i rebooted it i could not get it to connect to my WiFi, after about 20 minutes i decided to go into my router to see if it was truly connected, well it was. I was puzzled as to why both the phone and router were connected but not allowing data to be transmitted so i decided to try giving it a DHCP reservation to a much lower ip address, since lots of devices connect to my router daily. it gets confused on which address it should give out, so changed it from the high 90's IE xxx.xxx.xxx.197
to xxx.xxx.xxx.165, and as soon as i clicked saved, it worked it instantly received notification updates from Facebook and the greyed out WiFi turned blue. I hope maybe this helps you or atleast sheds some light on what the problem is, this is also not the only device this sort of thing has happened on b4, had to twink settings to get two identical Dlink wireless bridges to connect and work insync since my router got confused and was trying to share them on the same Ip address.

Best of Luck -Nerble

Edit 2:39 1/1/13 : Also thought Id mention im connecting to a Dlink DGL 4500 Gaming Router Using the latest firmware from Dlink for it. Saw that someone else was having issues with Dlink router as well, so it could be a Dlink issue? Maybe?

GemMoth

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My brand new Nexus 4 can't connect to wifi. It seems to happen to a lot of people. I called Google and they will replace my device. I just hope the new one will work.