Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Camera: Pink glow from light sources.

Hey,

I have noticed that when I take a picture around or directly at a light source, I get a p purple glow. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Here is an extreme example.

Default Re: Camera: Pink glow from light sources.

That's a product of having a small sensor and a specific type of lens coating. This is not at all unique to the Nexus 4. See the link. http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/06/...hone-5-photos/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Well I see you taking a picture of a bright flash directly pointed at the camera. Does this happen in a more realistic situation as well?

Try to take a photo low angle to the bright light (but not flash, thats overkill), this is where iPhone 5 makes purple flare... considering you want to test if N4 have something similar

Its a lens flare...

ROM
    Stock

J J Abrams would be proud. That's an excellent example of lens flare, and happens when a point-source of light reflects off both surfaces of the lens. The pink coloration is the anti-reflective coating that is designed to minimize (but cannot possibly eliminate) this sort of artifact.

The only way to eliminate it is to set your shots up so you don't have point-sources pointing directly at the lens, and even if you have one coming in from an angle and visible in the photo you'll get the same effect, except laterally across the photo. A really high quality and large lens like an SLR might show it as a series of multiple dots instead of a single blurry smear. A polarized lens might eliminate it if you manually align the polarization correctly with the light source so as to reflect the light away from the rest of the lens. You won't find any such equipment on even a dedicated snapshot camera, and on a phone.. fuhgeddaboudit.

See the contest "Purple Haze" from a little while back for some really good examples - by the way, your photo would have qualified. It's well-composed, shows off lens flare nicely, shows excellent symmetry and consistency, and is beautiful in its own way. It also shows off how good the lens is, because with a bad lens you'd never have that level of symmetry.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by KwietStorm View Post
    Well I see you taking a picture of a bright flash directly pointed at the camera. Does this happen in a more realistic situation as well?
    Yes, It does give a pink glow, often. I took a picture of a point light to show in great detail what I was talking about!

The iPhone 5 suffered the same issue, making stuff this small always needs compromises.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    6,908 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

There was a contest a few weeks back, it's easy to replicate.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel