Dropped my nexus 4 on its face on ceramic tile

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Only a 1mm nick on the glass around the black border.

Phew. Scary sound, thought it was going top be shattered. 4 foot drop.

flumdog

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't so lucky. Mine slipped off the arm of my chair, fell about two feet, landed on a hardwood floor ... and the screen shattered. It must have landed just right. Phone's toast. No response to commands at all.

I called Google Play just to see if I might get lucky and have them replace it under warranty. The first rep I spoke with had never heard of the Nexus 4 so she had to refer me to a supervisor. He explained that screen damage disqualifies it for the 15-day return and warranty policies, but gave me an RMA to send it in, suggesting that they might have some sympathy since I'd only had it for 3 days. I'll report back on whether or not I get lucky. But in the meantime I obviously had to have a phone so I just bit the bullet, went down to Verizon and got myself a Razr HD, which is what I was planning to do anyway before I got caught up in the Nexus hype. So if I do get lucky with a warranty replacement I guess I'll have to figure out how to sell it, but considering the demand I guess I shouldn't be too worried.

The Moto doesn't come close to the Nexus in terms of sheer beauty but I must admit I haven't noticed any remarkable difference in actual performance, even though the Razr is still running on ICS. Small detail but I actually like the fact that the Razr has the notification LED at the top of the phone whereas the Nexus's is at the bottom. I drive around with the phone in my cup holder and I couldn't see the notification on the Nexus. But I'm not a heavy user and am relatively new to Android anyway, so I'm not qualified to offer an high quality comparison. What I certainly can say is the difference between these phones and my old corporate Blackberry is stunning ... duh.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
That sucks so bad. Three days? I've had this phone over 7 months and only dropped it once. I actually fell with it in my hands but it hit sooo hard. No damage.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that the nexus 4 is quite slippery!

Dropped mine (which was not really mine because Google sent the wrong version) on the first day because it slipped from my hands. I was lucky enough though and nothing bad happened

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

big_time2

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad I haven't dropped mine yet. I bet it will be so bad I'll have to buy a new phone.

Does anyone know if Tmobile's insurance covers this phone?

tatltael

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That sucks so bad. Three days? I've had this phone over 7 months and only dropped it once. I actually fell with it in my hands but it hit sooo hard. No damage.

You had the nexus 4 for 7 months? >_>

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It all depends on height /angle of drop. I'm curious to see what the long term problems are with this issue. And when bought through Google I don't think insurance is an option, as would normally be with a carrier.

Kaenon

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would take a picture of the nick but you have to catch it at a certain angle.

Still really bothers me though...being so new and such a good phone. It'll be swapped out however when my 16GB unit comes in.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am so worried I will drop this phone. That is my only real disappointment with it. The materials are quality, but so much glass that can break if dropped... :/

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I do believe any phone is still covered by the pre-paid plans, I know when I go to my account online it gives an option for $7 monthly for that service, but in truth, call a T-Mobile rep for accurate information.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't' have a problem with the glass design of the N4, it's the lack of cases for it. I think they should have offered a case in addition to the bumper on the play store. Even if it was a cheap case, something would have been better than nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: Dropped my nexus 4

I am lucky that my N4 survived two drops onto tile unscathed. Both were from sliding off of my iPad, which is now prohibited from having any contact with it.

Michael

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

user00265

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Dropped my nexus 4

My company has Asurion through Verizon for the phones that everybody else has (I refuse to use Verizon) and they haven't been exactly cooperative. They sent a replacement for a phone that was having issues with the WiFi, so we sent the phone in... the phone that came back had dead pixels on the screen, so we called Asurion and explained this, they said that it was their bad and they'd replace it no problem... next thing we know, our warranty was dropped on the device because we had two replacements in one year, even though they assured us that the dead pixel phone was not going to count towards this. This, aside from the fact that you cannot just get it anytime, it has to be within 14 days of getting the device and you have to go through your providers' support.

I personally had SquareTrade and they were pretty good about replacing without much fuss... they even cover things that others do not in their warranty.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Only a 1mm nick on the glass around the black border.

Phew. Scary sound, thought it was going top be shattered. 4 foot drop.

Honest question and I'm really not trying to troll but i have to ask...

Why would want reasonably intelligent person in their right mind buy a phone that has glass on both sides and NOT PUT A CASE ON IT!?!?!

Assurion only allows 2 replacements a year and if the phone is dropped twice, you're screwed. Why not protect your investment?

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar