Is this what the screen looks like?

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I was looking for comparisons between the iPhone 5 and the Nexus 4 and I came upon this one. iPhone 5 vs. Nexus 4 - YouTube by PocketNow. Look at 6:05

The color looks terribly yellow and dark. Is this really what the screen looks like? The Nexus 4 has been said to have a good screen but if it's that yellow, it's pretty bad. What do you guys think? Is it really that much yellower and darker than the iPhone?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The color looks terribly yellow and dark. Is this really what the screen looks like? The Nexus 4 has been said to have a good screen but if it's that yellow, it's pretty bad. What do you guys think? Is it really that much yellower and darker than the iPhone?

I think it is the result of crappy lighting or poor videocam setup. My Nexus 4 has a beautiful screen, IMO.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't rely on a video like that to judge what the screen is like. The effect may be exaggerated, as digital photos and videos usually do that. Plus side-by side comparisons will always make one screen look weird compared to another. Also it totally depends on the brightness setting of each phone.

I would just go to a t-mo store that carries it and check it out there in person. Or you can find an Optimus G to play with to get an idea.

LNWJ

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That is what my phone looks like too. It is really not that noticeable when you have it though. The colors are much more accurate than on my old NS4G, but the color temp on the N4 is definitely warmer than previous Nexuses.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Plus side-by side comparisons will always make one screen look weird compared to another. Also it totally depends on the brightness setting of each phone.

Yea both were at max brightness and side-by-side comparisons are going to happen for me everyday seeing as I use my phone and iPad together when I am working. It's not gonna "kill" the phone but it's gonna be annoying if the Nexus screen color is way worse than that of my iPad.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Yea both were at max brightness and side-by-side comparisons are going to happen for me everyday seeing as I use my phone and iPad together when I am working. It's not gonna "kill" the phone but it's gonna be annoying if the Nexus screen color is way worse than that of my iPad.

I don't know what's up with that video. I have a Ipad (with retina) and was just looking at it next to my N4 and, it doesn't look like it does in that video to my eyes. The Ipad is a little brighter and the colors are nicer but, the N4 looks just as sharp. The Nexus 4 display reminds me of the HTC One X.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what's up with that video. I have a Ipad (with retina) and was just looking at it next to my N4 and, it doesn't look like it does in that video to my eyes. The Ipad is a little brighter and the colors are nicer but, the N4 looks just as sharp. The Nexus 4 display reminds me of the HTC One X.

That's basically it. The colors are off but pixel density will be the same (or close enough that it doesn't matter).

Fearless Freep

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPhone retina and an iPad retina. The Nexus 4 screen may be the best of all three, certainly holds its own. As I posted in the first impressions thread, the ips panel is noticeably closer to the digitizer/front glass. That makes the screen really pop.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Wow that was the longest run on sentence ever. In those 5 paragraphs there's like 5 periods. There's a lot of but and commas though.

D3lit3

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is nothing new. Every phone and manufacturing process tends to have a dominant color from the visible spectrum. In the S3's case it was a blueish tint or cool palette that people complained about.

LG are working hard, but they're not wizards.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm cross-posting my reply to this thread here because it touches on the differences in displays and what I've observed.

I've heard from a lot of more educated folks and some devs how the common "washed out screen" complaint your seeing is not really accurate at all. Many of us (especially coming from Samsung phones) are used to those SAMOLED displays which oversaturate the colors. The colors you will see on a high quality IPS display like the Nexus 4 are actually a true representation of what they are supposed to look like. At first it is going to appear weird and "washed out" to you, but after adjusting a bit you should be able to appreciate that you are seeing the colors the way they were designed, by Google, to be viewed. Just some info I wanted to pass along :)
I'm sorry, but I'm really going to have to beg to differ on this. When I got my Nexus 4 and showed it the my girlfriend next to my Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name phone, she instantly said, "The old one looks a lot better." I told her that the SAMOLED screen was merely hyped up because of all the usual reasons, but the difference DID bother me. I told myself, "No, this is more natural. It's not washed out. You're just used to the old screen," but I can't do it any longer. My screen IS washed out; it IS inaccurate. I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm a semi-pro photographer (meaning I've made money from my work, but it's not my day job; see my stuff here) and thus really picky about image quality and fidelity. I also used to be a DVD reviewer for a couple of major sites and had to calibrate my home theater setups to properly grade A/V quality. I just recalibrated my main computer's display - a Dell UltraSharp U2410 IPS-panel connected via DisplayPort using a GretagMacbeth Eye-One Match 3 calibrator - and compared my current wallpaper (NSFW, so not linked; skin tones are a good source to judge because of the subtleties of complexions) from mine and other Flickr users work and the differences are there and problematic. I even dug out my OG EVO 4G to compare because it was its too-cool/bluish display that paled (no pun) in comparison to the GS2 was what made me thunk down $500 to buy the latter unsubsidized. I had to use the Movie setting in Display properties to get the least-hyped picture because Standard and Vivid were just acid-trip crazy.

Compared to the GS2, the N4's colors are flatter, paler and washed out, especially in highlights on skin which are getting close to being blown out to white. It looks cooler until you throw the EVO into the mix and see what really cool, bluish color cast looks like. When looking at all three, the GS2 looks the closest to the PC monitor; the N4 is clearly less saturated and skewed toward yellow (note: I do NOT see the yellow color cast on pure white that others have reported; it just looks like more red is needed); the EVO looks really cool (blue).

Checking another photo (again NSFW; tanned partial nude woman in vivid magenta leather jacket) shows similar issues. The N4 is flatter in contrast and the highlights are blown out; the wall in back doesn't look creamy, but almost white; the jacket looks pink, not magenta; the burgundy wash on her hair is almost unnoticeable. I couldn't check with the EVO because it's having a cow about updating (gee, it's been offline for 14 months, could that be the problem?) but since it's obsolete, who cares? The GS2 looks really close to the monitor and the N4 doesn't.

Using the LCD test patterns here - LCD monitor test images - the most damning one isn't the Black Level one (browser color profiles seem to mess with it) or the Gamma test (all the phones look waaaay out of whack) but the White Saturation pattern which demonstrates how brighter values are rendering. On my computer, I can see the difference between 254 and the 255 background. The highest the N4 shows is 247, meaning everything from 248 on up looks the same as pure white, 248-254 = 255 = not good. The GS2 goes four steps up to 251 and the difference between getting 96.9% of the way and 98.4% makes a difference. As someone who usually shoots black-clad musicians in dimly-lit clubs with black walls, the difference of a few steps is the difference between seeing a guy in a black shirt in a black room playing guitar or seeing a floating guitar and arm. (This is an all-time worst case example.)

The hardest thing to do in publishing is color management and printers and pre-production houses spend thousands of dollars trying to get their workflow together so that what designers see on the screen will match what's on the page when it's printed. It is said that a man with one clock knows what time it is but a man with two clocks is never sure and what may look fine in isolation may suffer in comparison to something else. (Like how your significant other may be cute, but stand them next to the latest Sexiest Man/Woman Alive and you realize you're in a relationship with a mortal.) The trick is to determine what is CORRECT. For clocks, you get one of those atomic deals and set your watch to that. For displays, you color calibrate and use test patterns.

This is what I've done and while there is a element of personal taste involved - like when you adjust the tone controls on your sound system to boom the bass or whatnot - I'm not interested in preference, but accuracy, and the screen on my Nexus 4 simply isn't accurate. Maybe it's isolated bad unit; maybe it's an issue with 25% of units; who knows? All I know is that some people say it's washed out; others say it's as good as the best-in-class HOX; some try to rationalize what they're seeing by attributing it to the differences between LCD and SAMOLED; and I just want a faithful version of what's being displayed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy