Porting number to T-Mobile

coolblue11

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else waiting for phone number to port to T-Mobile. I signed up for the $30 per month plan on the website and it said it may take up to 24 hours for my phone number to be ported over and they would send a text message when it has. Well it has been over 48 hours and still no text and my calls still come through on my old phone. WTH :(

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Anybody else waiting for phone number to port to T-Mobile. I signed up for the $30 per month plan on the website and it said it may take up to 24 hours for my phone number to be ported over and they would send a text message when it has. Well it has been over 48 hours and still no text and my calls still come through on my old phone. WTH :(

I just ported mine earlier today ( and still waiting). It could be the holiday I'm guessing. My experience with T-Mobile is it seems to take longer than the other carriers and I don't know why. A couple of years ago when I switched to At&t, they ported my number right in the store and it was almost instant.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
No fee. I ported my number on Monday but I had to stay on the phone with them. I could use my data Monday night but I didn't get to use my number until Wednesday. So just stay on the phone with CS.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

NoAck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I did this earlier this year. Took several days. Was about to call to get status and then suddenly it switched.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I ported my Virgin Mobile number to T-Mobile on Monday evening, and it activated Thursday (Thanksgiving) morning. I'm not sure when it actually completed, but when I woke up Thursday morning I had a text saying the new number was active.

Tony Huynh

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I got my phone in on Tuesday and had my tmobile SIM card waiting already so I stuck it in and went through the activation process and ported my number. 24 hours passed and no text. So I called up to customer service and they told me to go to a tmobile store cause something was conflicting, so I went up there and they did some stuff. Turns on the "account name" they required for if you wanted to port your number I put in was wrong(tho it did say you can put your phone number in the box instead of your account number, which I put my phone number in). So after giving them my account number it was ported immediately and got the text a few min after. But even then I could send text msg but I couldn't receive any until a few hours after porting it. So for anyone who's been waiting over 24 hours I would definitely hit up a Tmobile store or something, especially if you put your phone number in the box instead of account number.

coolblue11

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. My number is now active and I received the text from T- Mobile a little while ago. I did not call or go to a T- M store, it just took 3 days to complete. Good luck to all of you still waiting for yours.

dayodoesit

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I tried porting a number from Virgin Mobile to T-Mobile in October 2012. Seriously. I called regularly over the course of a few weeks and T-Mobile kept assuring me it would be done soon. Then, for a while, I was getting a few calls on my T-Mobile phone, but most on my Virgin Mobile phone. Both could dial out. When the next month came around, I decided to pay the Virgin Mobile bill, but not the T-Mobile one. I've called numerous times since, most recently today (January 5th 2013), and T-Mobile keeps telling me the port was successful. Seriously, it's incredibly annoying to start each of these 1 hr. calls with the representative taking 20 minutes to tell you that your T-Mobile line is working when it clearly isn't. Jedi Mind Tricks.

Someone please, please, please help. I want to make this transfer. I'm already $50 deep and hours and hours pot-committed.

P.S. It's an HTC One V porting to a Samsung Exhibit II 4G.

JRWow

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you use the Virgin phone number as the account number? I used the phone number and they told me they needed the account number. Got that from Virgin and gave it to T-Mobile and they said that won't work, it needs to be the phone number.

At any rate, sounds like it will be weeks or months. FCC requires it to be 1 day but I guess that isn't enforced. Great way to start off a new customer LOL. I will obviously look for a better carrier.

Kmasum

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I switched Verizon to tmobile prepaid and my number was transferred within 10 minutes , just call customer service

vlee

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered my phone from Google and I'm wondering how much of a hassle it is going to be porting over my current number to T-Mobile. Problem: I'm currently on my brother's Sprint family plan as the last remaining member since he and his wife have already switched to another carrier, but let me stay on month to month while I decided what I wanted to do. So my phone# is listed under his account, although it was my # before I joined his family plan. He, of course, has no problem with me using the number, but I'm worried it's going to be a hassle because I can't give anyone permission to allow the switch.

I'm kind of attached to the number because it's easy to remember (the very nice AT&T guy a number of years ago actually helped me find an easy one!) Plus I have elderly relatives, not to mention friends, who already know it. Is there a particular sequence in which I should do this to simplify it? I know I can't let him cancel Sprint before the number gets switched over.

Having read this thread, now I'm getting a little concerned about the timing. I was hoping to get it all over with before the next Sprint bill is due since it now comes to my house and is really expensive! Oh well, not as expensive as it would have been to make a bad choice and be stuck in a 2 yr contract.

JRWow

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You guys are lucky. I've been to the retail store, called cs a number of times, and chatted with them a couple times. Customer support is useless. I'm giving them one more day and then I'm returning my phone (and getting my money back from T-Mobile) and getting a contract phone with AT&T. Once that happens I will have successfully kept 3 people from using T-Mobile. Who's laughing now T-Moble? LOL.

JRWow

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You're going to have to keep paying that Sprint bill until T-Worthless gets around to porting your number (Be warned, I have read reports of it taking longer than a month). I'm giving them 4 days. If they can't do it in 4 days then they can't do it in 100.

ariashugo1

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I recently ported my phone number from AT&T to my new nexus 4 as well as my girlfriends AT&T number to her iPhone about 2 months apart. Both were ported over within 15 minutes of getting off the phone with the customer service rep. The first time I was not prepared so it took a few minutes longer on the phone, but i set up my account online and then called to do the number port, the rep asked me for my 4 digit code from AT&T (which turned out to the be the last 4 of our SS#'s). Once she got the number (which from what I understand tends to the be the delaying factor here, as if you don't know it, tmo contacts att and att contacts you and its a big loop of questions) everything went through quickly and I got a text just about 10-15 minutes later letting me know my number was ported. Hope this helps anyone curious.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta