Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

I have a question about porting my current number to ST. I've already purchased a sim from ST and activated my phone with a ST number. My old phone is still on Sprint and I want to port my number. I'm a little fuzzy on which option to select on the porting process for ST. Do I just pick the "Activate my Straight Talk Service with a number from another company" option? Even though my ST service is already activated? I just don't want to mess this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Val View Post
    I have been using Straight Talk ATT since November 20th, I haven't had any issues at all. I average about 5mb down/1mb up (I peak at 8mb down and like 2mb up, and sometimes I get a constant 6mb down like today.).

I will list my APN settings below. Good coverage in the Metro Detroit area.

Edit : Having no proxy/port lets the Speedtest app display your download rate effectively. It doesn't effect speeds from what I have tested (somewhat), anyone else can feel free to give it a try and let us know.

APN - att.mvno
    Proxy - None Set
    Port - None Set
    Username - None Set
    Password - None set
    Server - None Set
    MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy - 66.209.11.33
    MMS Port - 80
    MCC - 310
    MNC - 410
    Authentication type - Not Set
    APN Type - default,supl,mms
    Just received my Nexus 4 yesterday and loving this phone. Used these settings and have not had any problems with picture messages at all. I did notice that when sending text to multiple recipients the phones stock settings were set to send as MMS message and it would not go through. After changing that setting to send as regular text message my multiple text went through. I will continue to update my experience with this phone and with ST.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I got my Nexus 4 yesterday and ported my number to ST from Sprint. It was very easy and I was surprised by how quick it was. I went with the AT&T sim because T-Mobile has bad coverage in areas I visit from time to time and AT&T is very solid everywhere I go. With Sprint the fastest speed test I saw on my phone was 326kbps. In less then a day and not leaving my house I've average almost 6000kbps so I'm more then happy with the jump in speed so far.
    dmowry7300 likes this.

I just ordered another sim from ST. There was no way to port my number to the sim I already have. They are having a special until Dec 17th of free overnight shipping on their sim cards.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    OEM

Quote Originally Posted by DizkoDan View Post
    You need to port the number BEFORE you terminate your contract. Porting will terminate it. So, you're likely gonna be on the hook for an additional month's bill, or an ETF depending on when you do it.
    There is no ETF for porting your number from AT&T to ST. Its treated as changing sim card. Its been proven this works @howardsforum.com. Its from AT&T to AT&T. ST is AT&T MVNO.

Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea. However, I have a very hard time seeing that as working. I mean, let's say I just started a new two year contract with att. Then I switch to straight talk, a no contract provider. Then I don't renew the account at the end of 30 days. At that point there is no way they can now charge me an ETF as ST is no contract. Will att simply let you walk away without collecting the $300+ ETF?

Thanked by:
    howarmat likes this.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.4.4 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    There is no ETF for porting your number from AT&T to ST. Its treated as changing sim card. Its been proven this works @howardsforum.com. Its from AT&T to AT&T. ST is AT&T MVNO.
    This is absolutely wrong. If you are in contract with a carrier and break the contract to switch providers, you will be charged the ETF.

An MVNO is a separate company. It's a completely different carrier. It doesn't matter that Straight Talk uses AT&T's towers. You're leaving AT&T if you port your number.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Thanked by:
    howarmat and Ryuuie like this.

I completely agree.
    I just do not see how the etf will be forfeited.

ROM
    OEM

Quote Originally Posted by swartzz View Post
    I completely agree.
    I just do not see how the etf will be forfeited.
    You don't have to believe what I say. Go to howardforum.com and search the tread Porting from ATT to ST under contract. The tread started on 10-2-12

ROM
    OEM

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource sorry, the first post had wrong url. Search under Straight Talk forum
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.4.4 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource sorry, the first post had wrong url. Search under Straight Talk forum
    Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1778302

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Thanked by:
    VSG28 

That's a very interesting development, could be an error in AT&T's system or just how things are setup, either way, that's good to know...

But I would like to know if someone else has tried this and was not charged an ETF.

Sorry I doubted you by the way.

ROM
    OEM

Quote Originally Posted by swartzz View Post
    That's a very interesting development, could be an error in AT&T's system or just how things are setup, either way, that's good to know...

But I would like to know if someone else has tried this and was not charged an ETF.

Sorry I doubted you by the way.
    I did, ported two numbers from AT&T with 6 months remaining last June, I wish I kept the last billing statement that said. But I remember the exact statement "Hello, This is your final bill for wireless services and reflects all charges applied to your account through July 23. Payment of this bill is due in full by, I forgot the date" There was no ETF charges included.

ROM
    OEM

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Porting from ATT to ST under contract

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.
    I have not seen anyone posting the ETF charges reverted back when porting from ST to different carrier. Hopefully, the amount of time they stayed with ST counted as time consumed.

On a different note, I hit a little over 2.5gb on my nexus 4 using the att straight talk card. My cycle doesn't end until the 22nd. No threats or warnings. I am going to keep pushing a bit and see what happens. If I cannot use the phone the way I want, I will just stay with Verizon and sell this phone. I am not going to go to extremes, but if I need to tether for a bit or want to watch a show on Netflix, I will. If they cut me off then straight talk isn't for me. I cannot port my number from Verizon to Google anyway, so might just save me some hassle to stay with Verizon.

Shame though, I really like this Nexus 4!

Latest update on my Nexus 4 with Straight Talk. Absolutely loving this LG Nexus 4, this phone is so smooth and fast!!! Received my phone on Friday and have not had any issues so far with MMS messages or anything with ST. Only thing that really sucks is that Saturday when getting out of my truck I dropped my phone from about 3 feet onto the pavement:-(
    After getting myself composed and finding the nerve to inspect the damage, to my surprise the only thing that happened was a few scuffs around the chrome bezel....still really sucks though!!! Been averaging 3mb down and around 1.5 mb up on my at&t sim. Not blazing fast but so much faster than Sprint.

I have been very happy with the speeds this phone has gotten. Nowhere near LTE but much better than Verizon's 3g!

Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?-uploadfromtaptalk1355166035677.jpg

I am coming from verizon 4g. i love this phone, and i also love the no strings attached nature of my at&t straight talk sim. my data service has been dicey, when its good i'm around 3-5 mbs up 1 mbs down and when its not im pulling barely 1 mbs down and this could vary from me driving down the street. god i hate big red but i miss my blazing speed. In a perfect world i would have my cake and eat it too

Quote Originally Posted by drmanhattan57 View Post
    I am coming from verizon 4g. i love this phone, and i also love the no strings attached nature of my at&t straight talk sim. my data service has been dicey, when its good i'm around 3-5 mbs up 1 mbs down and when its not im pulling barely 1 mbs down and this could vary from me driving down the street. god i hate big red but i miss my blazing speed. In a perfect world i would have my cake and eat it too
    Same boat here. Yep its sux alright but I look at it this way: I am paying way less (over half) a month, so I would expect less. I am mostly on wifi anyways.

Is anyone using Straight Talk from the Dallas area? If so, are you using AT&T or TMobile straight talk? Also, how is it working in Dallas and how are your data speeds? Thanks.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

i came from sprint and am very impressed with straight talk (im using it with att). my down speeds have been between 5-6 iirc, and upload speeds have been faster too. I'm finding that even when i get a weaker signal strength than sprints, i'm still pulling much faster speeds. With sprint, i don't think i've gotten more than 2 down lol. side question: my network type in settings toggles between HSPA 10, and HSPA +15, I'm guessing straight talk doesn't get HSPA+21?
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

After using ST with AT&T for 3 weeks now I am pretty happy. My data speeds are rather low but I live in the sticks. I was in a larger city this past weekend and the data speeds were 10-15. I get 1-6 at work and at home. I am almost always on WIFI so it's not a big deal. However I tried to stream Google Music one night for my daughter and it was god awful slow.

I am still nervous about ST and their data cap. My month is up in a week and I have barely used any cell data however there are will be a time where I am going to need more then 100MB a day. It is rare but it does happen. I really wish that T-Mobile's data coverage was better by me because I would have been all over their $30 dollar plan. The 100 minutes is iffy but I would have just thrown extra money on the account to make up for it. With StraightTalk I am paying $48 or so with tax. I figured T-Mobile would have cost me $40 or so with extra minutes. And I don't think I ever used close to 5GB when I had my unlimited Verizon plan. I have heard mixed stories about ST and when they actually throttle users. It would suck to have no data when I really needed it. I listen to Sirius at work (Streaming over WIFI) and one day I forgot to turn my WIFI on. I had turned it off to test my data speeds. About an hour into the morning I lost my data connection. I couldn't even access a webpage. I noticed that I had WIFI off and I turned it back on. Bam my data came back right away. I had used less then 75MB that morning and while I can't confirm that they throttled me I just assumed they did.

That is the only part of ST that worries me. Other then that I have been happy so far. I did order another T-Mobile SIM to try out again. I am on vacation starting next week and I will have plenty of time to run some extensive tests around my area!

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Porting from ATT to ST under contract

This is awesome news, I will definitely try it out and see if it works.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.4.4 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i came from sprint and am very impressed with straight talk (im using it with att). my down speeds have been between 5-6 iirc, and upload speeds have been faster too. I'm finding that even when i get a weaker signal strength than sprints, i'm still pulling much faster speeds. With sprint, i don't think i've gotten more than 2 down lol. side question: my network type in settings toggles between HSPA 10, and HSPA +15, I'm guessing straight talk doesn't get HSPA+21?
    The network type that you're seeing in settings does not correspond to Mbps speed. It's an HSPA category. Read this: http://pocketnow.com/smartphone-news...ry-10-14-or-20

Category 15 is basically the same thing as 14 except it's MIMO (multi-input, multi-output). More efficient, but not really faster than Category 14.

Note that the Network Type setting doesn't say "HSPA+15". It says "HSPA+:15". There is no such thing as HSPA+15 or +10. The only speed-related names are "HSPA+21" and "HSPA+42". The 21 & 42 are theoretical maximum speeds in Mbps. You'll never see those speeds in real life on an HSPA+ network. Realistically, on a good day with a really strong signal and few people on the same network tower, you'll see about half of the theoretical speed.
    Last edited by Insp_Gadget; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
    --Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    396 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by castroyy View Post
    After using ST with AT&T for 3 weeks now I am pretty happy. My data speeds are rather low but I live in the sticks. I was in a larger city this past weekend and the data speeds were 10-15. I get 1-6 at work and at home. I am almost always on WIFI so it's not a big deal. However I tried to stream Google Music one night for my daughter and it was god awful slow.

I am still nervous about ST and their data cap. My month is up in a week and I have barely used any cell data however there are will be a time where I am going to need more then 100MB a day. It is rare but it does happen. I really wish that T-Mobile's data coverage was better by me because I would have been all over their $30 dollar plan. The 100 minutes is iffy but I would have just thrown extra money on the account to make up for it. With StraightTalk I am paying $48 or so with tax. I figured T-Mobile would have cost me $40 or so with extra minutes. And I don't think I ever used close to 5GB when I had my unlimited Verizon plan. I have heard mixed stories about ST and when they actually throttle users. It would suck to have no data when I really needed it. I listen to Sirius at work (Streaming over WIFI) and one day I forgot to turn my WIFI on. I had turned it off to test my data speeds. About an hour into the morning I lost my data connection. I couldn't even access a webpage. I noticed that I had WIFI off and I turned it back on. Bam my data came back right away. I had used less then 75MB that morning and while I can't confirm that they throttled me I just assumed they did.

That is the only part of ST that worries me. Other then that I have been happy so far. I did order another T-Mobile SIM to try out again. I am on vacation starting next week and I will have plenty of time to run some extensive tests around my area!
    you might want to try getting a 3 months card from Walmart, comes out to 42 a month. I tried the tmo $30 plan. it's fast, but service was too spotty. 100 min wasn't nearly enough for me either.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast