Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 325 of 458
Like Tree49Likes
  1. #301  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    I had my wife's N4 on ATT ST for about 3 weeks and just switched her over to a direct prepaid with Tmobile. Didn't like the ATT ST at all (though TMo ST might be better). The data speeds are terrible compared to TMo (average 5 down vs 15 down). We also had to tether 1 PC for about 2 weeks. She and I run a photo studio and we moved and temporarily had no internet . The PC was only getting used for light gmail and calendar work (no streaming video/youtube or downloading/uploading files). I would guess this transmitted much less data than streaming Pandora or Google Music. They kept throttling her data down to 1 mgb or less, sometimes completely shutting it off until we rebooted the phone, or sometimes, until the next day. This happened a number of times throughout the day. I had set up a blank proxy on the phone. None of this happens with my direct TMo connection, though I have no idea how it might work on the TMo version of ST.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  2. #302  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Grab a friends unlocked GSM phone, slide your SIM in and see if you can send MMS. If it fails again its a network issue or you might have a bad SIM.
    If MMS does work fine on your friends phone, then do a factory reset on your Nexus.

    j
  3. #303  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycinla View Post
    Grab a friends unlocked GSM phone, slide your SIM in and see if you can send MMS. If it fails again its a network issue or you might have a bad SIM.
    If MMS does work fine on your friends phone, then do a factory reset on your Nexus.

    j
    Oh brother, easier said than done. I don't know if any of my friends have an unlocked gsm phone.

    MMS did work once tonight. Does mms send via Wi-Fi? The cell connection at my house is bad and data isn't much better, but I did try to send a mms when I went out earlier and it wouldn't send.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. #304  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    I did a factory reset and MMS seems to be working now. I have not reinstalled the GV app though.
  5. #305  
    PWC Realtor's Avatar

    Posts
    486 Posts
    Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    Oh brother, easier said than done. I don't know if any of my friends have an unlocked gsm phone.

    MMS did work once tonight. Does mms send via Wi-Fi? The cell connection at my house is bad and data isn't much better, but I did try to send a mms when I went out earlier and it wouldn't send.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    MLS works over mobile data.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  6. #306  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    so apparently i've been throttled

    Have I been throttled?

    no warning. no notice. used 1.73 GB this month so far. straight talk att.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  7. #307  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    I am going to order both a Nexus 4 when available again and a Nexus 7 wifi only.

    I want to use either Net10 unlimited with monthly auto renewal or ST unlimited.

    I spend a lot of time outdoors in Manhattan and Queens and want to know if I can set up the N4 as a hot spot for the N7 with either or both without having to root the phone while I have no wifi available?
    Also which would be better ATT or T-M, both give me an adequate signal for calls where I am.

    I am an old guy that is not the most tech savy person so please cut me some slack if I appear ignorant
    Thanks
  8. #308  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    You can use the native hotspot feature on the Nexus 4. Anything with WiFi should be able to connect. If you use straight talk, be sure to leave the PROXY line blank in the APN settings you use. Recently straight talk has been throttling people for using too much data. Some were less than 2gb in a month. That is the att compatible ST sim.

    I wouldn't think a Nexus 7 would pull enough data to cause a problem as long as you abide by Straight Talks terms of service. They HATE when you stream netflix or Pandora or similar. Different areas seem to get different results.

    Some on here report using 5gb or more with no problem. Others get throttled for using less than 2gb. I, myself, made it to just over 3gb before they throttled me. When I called they acted surprised and denied throttling me. Yet they stated that my speeds would go back to normal after I refilled my account for the next month.

    I dropped them, sold my Nexus 4 and will stick with Verizon until they force me out of my unlimited data. The Nexus 4 is an AWESOME phone, I will miss it dearly!

    You results may vary, good luck! Merry Christmas!



    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  9. #309  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Tap View Post
    I am going to order both a Nexus 4 when available again and a Nexus 7 wifi only.

    I want to use either Net10 unlimited with monthly auto renewal or ST unlimited.

    I spend a lot of time outdoors in Manhattan and Queens and want to know if I can set up the N4 as a hot spot for the N7 with either or both without having to root the phone while I have no wifi available?
    Also which would be better ATT or T-M, both give me an adequate signal for calls where I am.

    I am an old guy that is not the most tech savy person so please cut me some slack if I appear ignorant
    Thanks
    I try Tmo ST first. A number of people (me included) have been throttled on ATT ST well before reaching 2GB.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  10. #310  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Grabbed a 6 month prepaid card for $219.99 on amazon a couple days ago. Can't beat that.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #311  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    What I understand from reading this and other related threads ST and NET10 are owned by the same carrier that is reselling ATT and T-M.

    Since the N4 does not use a standard SIM but a MicroSIM how does one get the SIM purchased from ST or NET10 cut to size if I purchase a T-M activation kit so it will fit into the N4 ?

    Thanks Much
  12. #312  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Tap View Post
    What I understand from reading this and other related threads ST and NET10 are owned by the same carrier that is reselling ATT and T-M.

    Since the N4 does not use a standard SIM but a MicroSIM how does one get the SIM purchased from ST or NET10 cut to size if I purchase a T-M activation kit so it will fit into the N4 ?

    Thanks Much
    You just buy their regular size SIM and cut it down to micro size. I did it with a pair of scissors. You can downlaod a template from the internet. It was easy.
    Semper Fi
    I love my LG Nexus 5!
    Take better pictures with your cell phone camera...http://www.bigshotmoms.com/
  13. #313  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    Recently straight talk has been throttling people for using too much data. Some were less than 2gb in a month. That is the att compatible ST sim.
    yep. i was throttled when i hit like 1.7GB on my first month of service. Ima contact them and see what they say about it. is net10 as strict?
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  14. #314  
    Sweet Pikake's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    ROM
    OEM

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:


    If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

    While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

    Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

    Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

    By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.
    UPDATE!!!!!
    There is a new posting on the same thread: He got an iPhone on contract from AT&T, he ported one to Straight Talk. No ETF charges, he ported one to Red Pocket, got billed for $350.00 + taxes for ETF. I think the continuation of service only applies to Straight Talk. Just some information if anyone else is thinking about porting from AT&T to prepaid services.
  15. #315  
    Sweet Pikake's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    ROM
    OEM

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    yep. i was throttled when i hit like 1.7GB on my first month of service. Ima contact them and see what they say about it. is net10 as strict?
    If you have good T-MO coverage, ST T-MO is more lenient. If 1900mhz has been refarmed in your area, you'll get HSPA+42, faster than AT&T HSPA 21. Downside is you have to purchase another sim and when you port your excisting AT&T sim, you cannot reactivate back.
  16. #316  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    If you have good T-MO coverage, ST T-MO is more lenient. If 1900mhz has been refarmed in your area, you'll get HSPA+42, faster than AT&T HSPA 21. Downside is you have to purchase another sim and when you port your excisting AT&T sim, you cannot reactivate back.
    thats the problem. from what I hear t-mo is terrible in my area. they dont even carry t-mo at my local best buy because of poor coverage. att isn't so hot either. neither is sprint. verizon is really the only great one. sprint and att, are just decent
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  17. #317  
    Sweet Pikake's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    ROM
    OEM

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    thats the problem. from what I hear t-mo is terrible in my area. they dont even carry t-mo at my local best buy because of poor coverage. att isn't so hot either. neither is sprint. verizon is really the only great one. sprint and att, are just decent
    Even in my area, verizon in king, I am using ST AT&T and good to excellent coverage, T-MO good, no comment on Sprint. Too bad you already bought a Nexus 4, I was gonna recommend some ST branded smartphone that runs off Verizon but you already have a pentaband device. Maybe just hang in there.
  18. #318  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    Even in my area, verizon in king, I am using ST AT&T and good to excellent coverage, T-MO good, no comment on Sprint. Too bad you already bought a Nexus 4, I was gonna recommend some ST branded smartphone that runs off Verizon but you already have a pentaband device. Maybe just hang in there.
    i love the n4. i left sprint for it. i've used 1.98 GB of data so far, and I haven't received any kind of warning or threat that they are going to eliminate my account. i will just have to use wifi more and this should still work out.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  19. #319  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i love the n4. i left sprint for it. i've used 1.98 GB of data so far, and I haven't received any kind of warning or threat that they are going to eliminate my account. i will just have to use wifi more and this should still work out.
    Are you on at&t or t mobile? Seems folks are getting throttled on at&t.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  20. #320  
    Sweet Pikake's Avatar

    Posts
    147 Posts
    ROM
    OEM

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i love the n4. i left sprint for it. i've used 1.98 GB of data so far, and I haven't received any kind of warning or threat that they are going to eliminate my account. i will just have to use wifi more and this should still work out.
    I agree, I was paying Sprint $167.75 a month for two HTC EVO 4G and the download speeds were closer to dial up that Wimax 4g. I now pay $250.00 for 2 phones per 90 days. I buy my refill online at walmart.com, there are other sites you can get cheaper but I've never tried so I cannot recommend. In Honolulu, ST AT&T avarage around 4 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I think so long as you stick to 100 mb/day and 2GB/30 days, you should be okay.
  21. #321  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    Are you on at&t or t mobile? Seems folks are getting throttled on at&t.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    at&t. i was throttled when i hit ~1.7GB of data but I haven't received a warning or anything.
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
  22. #322  
    bobjohnson201's Avatar

    Posts
    845 Posts
    Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pikake View Post
    I agree, I was paying Sprint $167.75 a month for two HTC EVO 4G and the download speeds were closer to dial up that Wimax 4g. I now pay $250.00 for 2 phones per 90 days. I buy my refill online at walmart.com, there are other sites you can get cheaper but I've never tried so I cannot recommend. In Honolulu, ST AT&T avarage around 4 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I think so long as you stick to 100 mb/day and 2GB/30 days, you should be okay.
    yea i was paying sprint ~$67 AFTER a 25% employee discount. I don't think I ever even got past 2 mbps for download speeds... with ST at&t i've gotten to 7mbps. honestly, i dont ever wanna go back to a postpaid carrier again. with verizon/att it would be ~$85-$90 (iirc) for a measly 1GB of data (with unl. talk + text)...
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    kmcochran likes this.
  23. #323  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    How long did it take you guys to get your numbers ported? I'm porting mine over from MetroPCS
  24. #324  
    iamnid's Avatar

    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    I ported my number from Sprint to Google Voice -- it took about 2 days. I've been on Straight Talk ATT for a month. $42.50 per month if you sign up for auto-refill. Consistent 5mb downloads in my area and the service is great. Very happy with the phone and the carrier switch.
  25. #325  

    Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by iamnid View Post
    I ported my number from Sprint to Google Voice -- it took about 2 days. I've been on Straight Talk ATT for a month. $42.50 per month if you sign up for auto-refill. Consistent 5mb downloads in my area and the service is great. Very happy with the phone and the carrier switch.
    What are the benefits of porting your number to GV instead of straight to ST?
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Can you use the Atrix HD on Straight Talk?
    By dreamliner in forum AT&T ATRIX HD
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-29-2014, 06:18 PM
  2. HTC Google Nexus One no data or MMS on Straight talk
    By Cami Talboy in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 06:59 PM
  3. which will i get better speed out of on a galaxy nexus on straight talk ICS or Jellybean?
    By jazz mcomas in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2012, 05:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 02:55 PM
  5. anybody using at&t note or at&t hox on straight talk?
    By silent1643 in forum Other US Carriers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Posting Permissions

B