Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    On a nexus it will say H whether in a 3g or hspa+ area. The nexus doesn't have the manufacturer skin so it won't show 3g/4g.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    I could've sworn I saw it on my 4, I must be thinking of my GNex.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Learned that the N4 was again available for sale on Weds 1/30 at 13:00 ET, so I immediately put in my order.
    Got a response from Google that the device was to be shipped on Thu 1/31, to arrive at my doorstep in Michigan on Fri, 2/1.

I pulled the full-sized SIM from my Nexus One and trimmed it according to the many guides available online. I got a good fit into the Micro-SIM slot in the N4.

I rebooted, and the familiar "HOME" ID that comes with the Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM quickly showed up on my phone. However, I still had to enter the proper APN data.

I knew from times prior that Straight Talk is finicky about ALL its APN settings - even the APN name must be "straight talk", all lower case. Naming the APN "Straight Talk" will render the APN invalid!

The APN settings as pulled from straighttalksim.com were valid, and the N4 was registered on the ST T-Mo network. SpeedTest.net reported 10-12Mbps downloads in my area, up from only 4-5Mbps I was getting on my Nexus One. I cannot explain this increase, but I'm certainly not complaining.

The transition from the Nexus One to the Nexus 4 was one of the most painless I've ever experienced, SIM-trimming aside. I had been running an experimental 4.2 Jelly Bean on the N1 (sllloooowwww), but had told it to back up my apps and data to the Google cloud. When I powered up the N4, I supplied my Google creds, and within 20 minutes, all my apps, email, contacts, calendar and music had shown up on the N4. I am glad I stuck with ST and the T-Mo SIM, and am thoroughly pleased with the mammoth speed increased the N4 affords.
    Jaysus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMovieStar View Post
    I could've sworn I saw it on my 4, I must be thinking of my GNex.

Ya the gnex uses H then can show 3g. I have yet to see it on my nexus 4 though

Quote Originally Posted by mmtowns View Post
    Question about the data service indicator when using ST (ATT sim): When you're in 3G territory, does it say "H" or "3G"?
    Until about 3 months ago, all I'd ever see (on my Nexus One running JB 4.1 and 4.2 with a TMobile SIM, not an AT&T one) was H (or E or G for EDGE or GPRS), but never 3G.

But about 3 months ago, I started seeing 3G show up alongside H. I have to believe this may have something to do with new peering arrangements between T-Mo and AT&T that came as the result of the failed merger attempt. That, or perhaps T-Mo is upgrading their network in Southeastern Michigan. But I now do see 3G as well as H where all I saw before was H alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bshensky View Post
    I knew from times prior that Straight Talk is finicky about ALL its APN settings - even the APN name must be "straight talk", all lower case. Naming the APN "Straight Talk" will render the APN invalid!
    I've never had any issue with the APN name. I think mine is something like "Straight Talk - AT&T" or "AT&T - Straight Talk". Works just fine. Previously, I was using Straight Talk with T-Mobile and I put "TMO" somewhere in the APN name and it worked with no problems.

ROM
    Stock: GNex; dalepl rom

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    I've never had any issue with the APN name. I think mine is something like "Straight Talk - AT&T" or "AT&T - Straight Talk". Works just fine. Previously, I was using Straight Talk with T-Mobile and I put "TMO" somewhere in the APN name and it worked with no problems.
    I've never noticed that a problem either. One of mine (AT&T) is called "regular" and the other is "MMS." But, if it works for someone, use it. Nothing seems 100% standard with ST APN's. BTW, I only use the "MMS" one as it seems to do everything. Can't even remember the difference between the two but was having trouble with MMS so I tried a host of suggestions--one of which finally worked.

My ST Service is very slow this month since I renewed 01/05/13
    it's hardly 160 kbs DL and over 1 mb UpL

I'm in Columbus Ohio is anyone have the same issue this month.

Coz Many of my friends suffering as me
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #433  

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Default Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

Proud of my thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    my Nexus 5 32GB
    Thanked by:
    runtmms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by soullover View Post
    My ST Service is very slow this month since I renewed 01/05/13
    it's hardly 160 kbs DL and over 1 mb UpL

I'm in Columbus Ohio is anyone have the same issue this month.

Coz Many of my friends suffering as me
    I am also having this same problem. Not sure if I'm being throttled or if it's a problem on their end. My new cycle starts tomorrow so I will update then.

Sent from the "Almighty Nexus 4"

Quote Originally Posted by dmowry7300 View Post
    I am also having this same problem. Not sure if I'm being throttled or if it's a problem on their end. My new cycle starts tomorrow so I will update then.

I'm having the same problem also. Around 200-300kbps download and 1mbps upload.

just checked mine. I det 4.99 down & 1.09 up.

I just renewed couple days ago, I checked speeds yesterday 4.87 mbps down 1.53 up. I've seen it faster, and slower.

Just checked my speed and I'm back to normal again. Around 3mb up and 1mb down in Columbus, Ohio.

So I'm thinking about get ST (T-Mobile) and am wondering how good it is? I know I'll have to have it cut down.

Straight Talk AT&T (Iowa City): tested at all hours of the day, I average 3.5-7Mbps down, 1-1.5Mbps up; I'm interested as to what I'll pull in Chicago, but after graduation (Hawkeye Nation!) I'll most likely switch to the T-Mobile SIM.
    Thanked by:

I've been on ST with the TMo SIM since the BYOD program was released about ~9 months ago. Came over from Simple Mobile's $40 faux-3G plan; ironically, ST recently purchased Simple Mobile.

I selected the Tmo SIM at the time on account that I had a Tmo Nexus One (3G on 1700Mhz) and was limited to the Tmo network to retain 3G speeds. I've since moved on to the Nexus 4 this month.

Tmo rolled out a decent HSPA+ network over the last two years, and it's not uncommon for me to reach 13-15Mbps in good coverage areas.

My only criticism of Tmo is that of consistency. The AT&T network tends to have a good blanket of 3G throughout the country. Tmo OTOH concentrates their HSPA+ coverage in more populous areas, which leaves EDGE and even GPRS as the only data connectivity along country roads and 1-light towns. So, the HSPA+ speed is awesome, where you can find it.

If you travel a lot, AT&T may be a better bet. But if you're in a city, suburbs, exurbs, etc, you can blow away your friends' AT&T speeds with Tmo HSPA+.

Final shot: Yeah, LTE is awesome, but there eventually comes a point of diminishing returns on responsiveness and productivity with regard to wireless speed. An additional 10Mbps on an already-fast 10Mbps connection will not make you twice as productive. For this reason, I find the whole LTE-over-HSPA+ argument moot.

ADDENDUM: The gains Tmo made from the failed AT&T merger are indeed real and tangible. My N1 and N4 both show "3G" when not showing "H+" or "E" icons, where the N1 did not do this, say, 6 months ago. It leads me to speculate that Tmo has been able to provision their network devices to leverage AT&T 3G towers where they could not before. Also, ST and Tmo now effortlessly roam AT&T EDGE in places where Tmo used to yield "No Service" before (such as in the northern part of Lower Michigan). So, in many ways, it often now feels like the Tmo network is more like "AT&T-plus", where we get AT&T in previously-weak Tmo areas, and HSPA+ in places where AT&T 3G lags. Again, who needs LTE?
    Last edited by bshensky; 02-15-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    Straight Talk AT&T (Iowa City): tested at all hours of the day, I average 3.5-7Mbps down, 1-1.5Mbps up; I'm interested as to what I'll pull in Chicago, but after graduation (Hawkeye Nation!) I'll most likely switch to the T-Mobile SIM.
    I am thinking of switching to ST AT&T (and live in Iowa). Thank you for sharing your data speeds. This is encouraging to know.

P.S. Go Hawks.
    TheLibertarian likes this.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

My only criticism of Tmo is that of consistency. The AT&T network tends to have a good blanket of 3G throughout the country. Tmo OTOH concentrates their HSPA+ coverage in more populous areas, which leaves EDGE and even GPRS as the only data connectivity along country roads and 1-light towns. So, the HSPA+ speed is awesome, where you can find it.

If you travel a lot, AT&T may be a better bet. But if you're in a city, suburbs, exurbs, etc, you can blow away your friends' AT&T speeds with Tmo HSPA+.
    This has been my experience, too, in Iowa.

I been having issues with ST/ATT data here in SoCal recently. The bars will still gray (no data connection)

When data is working I am getting 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up

So, it seems that yesterday Net10 announced that, effective March 1st, anybody using AT&T sims on Net10 are going to be capped at a hard 1.5GB of data per month.

Rumor seems to be this is coming to Straight Talk also, which makes since given that Straight Talk is pretty much just Net10 rebranded for Walmart.

The Net10 announcement is here here:

Ongoing discussions at howard forums...

Personally, I think I'm OK with it. I'd rather have a known hard cap that some wishy-washy "we'll cap you whenever we're in a bad mood" cap.

ST ATT here, pretty sure they are throttling me starting today. 18th day in and used just under 1 gig according to my phone. This is my first month with it on my new N4, so I'm sure I used it a bit more than I normally would, especially in the first week. Really have to say I'm disappointed though.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #447  

Global Posts
    1,096 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Default Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

They throttle me after just a few hundred megabytes. I'm trying out tmobile for one month now.
    my Nexus 5 32GB

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by ATW72 View Post
    Straight Talk has a 2GB cap on data usage, where as Solavei has a 5GB cap.
    Solavei's 'Social Marketing Program' sounds a lot like multi-level marketing of Amway.

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Filmhawk View Post
    Solavei's 'Social Marketing Program' sounds a lot like multi-level marketing of Amway.
    That's because it _is_ an MLM program. That's fine, if you're into that sort of thing. But a blanket 2Gb cap statement like that will not get you any new subscribers to prop up your pyramid - not around these parts.

Last I read on these boards, the AT&T SIMs are burdened with a 2Gb cap, while the T-Mobile SIMs have an indeterminate cap believed to be greater than 2Gb, likely 5Gb.

To wit, a personal experience from this weekend...

I last traveled the US-12 corridor between Detroit and Chicago about 2 years ago, at the time with my Nexus One on the T-Mobile network. That trip, I recall seeing little more than GPRS data speed and quite a few signal dropouts altogether on the leg between Coldwater and Ann Arbor.

Fast forward to this weekend - and I was shocked to see my Nexus 4 (again, same supported frequencies as the Nexus One, plus 1900Mhz this time) sporting HSPA+ data speeds pretty much the entire way between Coldwater and Ann Arbor, with nary a dropout.

The T-Mobile network upgrades are real.
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 LastLast