Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

I must say that porting my number over from vz went seamlessly in about 30 mins. Did it on the st website...no phone call.
    dmowry7300 likes this.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheMovieStar View Post
    I don't think they do but generally I've noticed a better signal with the AT&T SIM but slower network speeds.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    yeah, att signal is a lot better than tmo. multiple places that my friend's att phone gets full bar, but i have no service. going to miss the hspa+ 42 speed, but what good is it if I have no signal? I'm getting 3-6 mps now, which is about 5x slower than tmo, but still 10x faster than sprint. haha.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    guinnkevinr and kmcochran like this.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davey11 View Post
    I must say that porting my number over from vz went seamlessly in about 30 mins. Did it on the st website...no phone call.
    yeah, this is something I should had done in the beginning, porting my number directly to straight talk from sprint instead of Google voice. initial porting to Google voice took about a day, then now another day to straight talk. plus I wasted $20 for the initial porting to gv. the porting still not done, I can call ppl, but incoming calls are still going thru Google voice. I really like Google voice, but not able to get mms and group messages are annoying.

davey11 likes this.

The straight talk port for me took less than ten mins. Set it up online and got a call from them seriously one minute later to let me know that my port should be complete in 5 hours. couple mins later I got a text saying it was complete. Brilliant.
    davey11 likes this.

I don't think they do but generally I've noticed a better signal with the AT&T SIM but slower network speeds.

+1 I just popped in the ST AT&T card today and noticed much better signal in my office...but slower speeds. 3mbits down is good enough for me since I'm on Wifi most of the time. I will test it out for a while, but would prefer better coverage with acceptable speeds vs. better speeds with spotty (mostly indoor) coverage.

Global Posts
    1,128 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm using my N4 on Straight Talk. But since I ported my number to Google Voice a few months ago, I didn't have to worry about what phone number they gave me. It's amusing to have both my S3 and N4 rin simultaneously.
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom

Quote Originally Posted by Examiner19 View Post
    +1 I just popped in the ST AT&T card today and noticed much better signal in my office...but slower speeds. 3mbits down is good enough for me since I'm on Wifi most of the time. I will test it out for a while, but would prefer better coverage with acceptable speeds vs. better speeds with spotty (mostly indoor) coverage.
    I agree. I really want the faster data speeds, which is why I'm going through this testing in anticipation of dumping Sprint. Problem is I live in the city and T-Mobile's signal doesn't seem to penetrate the buildings well enough. Sprint's network is just too slow and their LTE network is taking forever. Besides, I can't use my shiny new Nexus 4 on Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by VSG28 View Post
    I have a question: My att contract expires on Feb 4. Should I contact Straight talk on the 5th for porting my number and starting over with them to make sure I don't concur any early termination fees from att? I want to be sure att does not remove my number immediately once my contract is up.
    You need to port the number BEFORE you terminate your contract. Porting will terminate it. So, you're likely gonna be on the hook for an additional month's bill, or an ETF depending on when you do it.

I agree. I really want the faster data speeds, which is why I'm going through this testing in anticipation of dumping Sprint. Problem is I live in the city and T-Mobile's signal doesn't seem to penetrate the buildings well enough. Sprint's network is just too slow and their LTE network is taking forever. Besides, I can't use my shiny new Nexus 4 on Sprint.

I'm coming from Sprint, too. Even the "acceptable" ST AT&T speeds are worlds ahead of Sprint. I am so happy to be away from them.
    Pre-dawn raid and Ryuuie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Don't mess with them if you're on T-Mobile, the sim card will preset everything properly [...]
    My T-Mobile straighttalk sim gave me APN settings as if I was signed up with T-Mobile. i.e. it has an address of ecp.tmobile.com and other settings.

I had to manually enter create an APN and enter in the settings StraightTalk says to use.

So I finally got Straighttalk T-Mobile sim activated.

I'm using the APN settings that Straighttalk says to use in their activation kit, but left out the proxy so speedtest would work and whatnot.

So far speeds have been pretty decent...

Getting 10.5 down / 1.5 up where I live.
    Here at work, I'm getting about 15.5 down and 3.5 up.

I'm only seeing a H icon in the notification area. Should I be seeing H+ ?

Global Posts
    446 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nonymous666 View Post
    So I finally got Straighttalk T-Mobile sim activated.

I'm using the APN settings that Straighttalk says to use in their activation kit, but left out the proxy so speedtest would work and whatnot.

So far speeds have been pretty decent...

Getting 10.5 down / 1.5 up where I live.
    Here at work, I'm getting about 15.5 down and 3.5 up.

I'm only seeing a H icon in the notification area. Should I be seeing H+ ?
    Stock Android only shows H. If you go to About Phone > Status it will say whether its H+ or not
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Examiner19 View Post
    I'm coming from Sprint, too. Even the "acceptable" ST AT&T speeds are worlds ahead of Sprint. I am so happy to be away from them.
    yup, same thing here. anything is better than sprint data service. They can advertise all they want about their unlimited data, but with speed like that, I would much rather have a data cap at 5 or even 2 gig that will give me a decent speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jpricesd View Post
    Stock Android only shows H. If you go to About Phone > Status it will say whether its H+ or not
    Ahh.

Thank you.

Maybe you could just ask some people who work in your building if htey have AT&T and how well it works inside. That may be an easier option.

Quote Originally Posted by Irishgator View Post
    I was giving t mobile a try and their signal didn't work in my large office building. I want to try straight talk att but don't want to burn another $45 to learn they can't get a signal either. Do they offer a two day trial or anything?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

Quote Originally Posted by jpricesd View Post
    Finally got mine up and running perfectly. The trick for me: power off both phones and then power up the Nexus 4 and then the ATT service kicked in.
    Regarding the quote above: Mine reads 'Mobile network state> HSPA+: 15'. What does the 15 indicate?

ST is crippling the out of my N4, I can sometimes get data speeds upwards of 6mbps but usually I can only get way under half a mbps. Also data decides to quit working at random times even though it still shows connection and it worked fine with my Att postpaid sim. From the looks of it there is no real solution to this problem, unless you take it offline with their reps BS..

Are any of you guys with AT&T micro sim cards getting HSPA+ or HSPA10? You can find out by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT PHONE>>STATUS>>MOBILE NETWORK TYPE.

Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.2.1; CM7.2(nook)

Quote Originally Posted by 0ptimusv View Post
    Are any of you guys with AT&T micro sim cards getting HSPA+ or HSPA10? You can find out by going to SETTINGS>>ABOUT PHONE>>STATUS>>MOBILE NETWORK TYPE.
    Did you bother to read two posts above yours?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I'm looking to switch to ST from T-mobile classic plan. I'm still under contract however and it'll cost me $200 ETF... Is ST worth the switch? Can I still use wifi on ST and not be threatened to have my service terminated? Download apps and everything from Play and Amazon?

Default Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I just got my N4 yesterday with the ATT sim and I am very disappointed with the signal quality inside my house. Doesnt matter if I am upstairs or downstairs, at best I will get 1 or 2 bars for a moment then it will be back to no service again. What I dont understand is on the ATT website they list the coverage not just where my house and street is located as being the best signal possible, but the whole general area. So, either ATT is lying about their coverage in my area or theres some other issue going on. I havent been able to go outside for an extended period yet because of the rain. I did look to see what service was like at a local restaurant and again, where ATT says the best signal possible and it was the same result, barely a connection, 1 bar or 2 if that and not for more than a moment. Could it be the N4 is not setup right on the frequency bands when using a ST ATT micro sim card? I read other reports of very slow speeds, mines at best 4mbps down and 1 mbps up with 250-300ms ping according to speedtest. I know ATT's hspa network isnt LTE but surely its not that bad. Sprints 4g wimax at my house is at least 2x better than that.

I plan on trying t mobile on the $30 plan even though i dont have much hope for it either, their coverage map lists my area at satisfactory for 3g/4g coverage and good for 2g/voice.

I'm no expert, but why not switch to the t- mobile $30 plan? Unless you want to switch to AT&T? You're w Wi-Fi usage doesn't count toward your data usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Karrott9 View Post
    I'm looking to switch to ST from T-mobile classic plan.

I'm having a similar issue with call reception at my house. The signal keeps dropping and I have no service. It's not much better with sprint, my current carrier. I think I live on the outer edge of two towers. My data speeds are horrid at my house, but I get the best speeds about a mile away. I got like 7mbps down and 3 up. At my house, I barely get 1mbps down, but that is better than sprint here. We only have sprint 4g in one neighboring city. T- mobile's coverage is worse in my area and where I travel to, so I pretty much have to stick with AT&T. My husband is switching to a sprint mvno because he loves his windows phone with keyboard, so I think that eliminates us from getting an air rave to get a better signal here.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kmcochran View Post
    I'm no expert, but why not switch to the t- mobile $30 plan? Unless you want to switch to AT&T? You're w Wi-Fi usage doesn't count toward your data usage.

i think for some ppl, the 100 min just isn't enough, I tried, and I had to refill $10 twice. The voip app voice quality just not good enough.

Well TMobile is starting new prepaid plans in select markets, one of which is $45 unlimited everything. The say unlimited "high speed" data...no one is sure what that is yet. Let's hope it catches on and it's hspa...
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast