Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered my st att sim. I don't know wtf I am doing as Ive been on vz. I just ordered the sim for now and I'll get the service package once the phone gets here.
Hope it all goes well with the apn settings an stuff. Going with a new number and just get it forwarded from my vz number for now.
This first month I will pay vz and st ~ $110 yuk.
I really like how you can just switch to tmo with just a sim change.

Eric Garcia

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card the same as the T-Mobile one? Does it matter if it says it's an AT&T or T-Mobile Compatible Micro SIM Card? I want to use the Straight Talk T-Mobile network on my Nexus 4. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am trying this N4 out on Straight Talk, using the AT&T compatible sim. So far I am liking it. I still have my Verizon account, five phones. But if this "test" goes well, I will move my number from my Verizon account, leaving the rest of the family on vzw for now.

I have been with Verizon since long before they were Verizon. Nearly 20 years... I have been enjoying 4G LTE for a year. I was worried the nexus would be to slow, but I can live with these speeds.

Speed Test runs at same time...

HTC Rezound on 4g LTE...
uploadfromtaptalk1354371141113.jpg

Nexus 4 on Straight Talk (att)...
uploadfromtaptalk1354371206117.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

grayson73

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card the same as the T-Mobile one? Does it matter if it says it's an AT&T or T-Mobile Compatible Micro SIM Card? I want to use the Straight Talk T-Mobile network on my Nexus 4. Can anyone give me some pointers? Thanks.

If you want to use T-Mobile, get the T-Mobile sim for the Nexus 4.

grayson73

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I'm with ST T-mobile. In Washington DC, I got 14.88Mbps down and 3.18Mbps up. At home in Potomac, MD, I only get 1.06Mbps down and 1.25Mbps up.

Eric Garcia

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

If you want to use T-Mobile, get the T-Mobile sim for the Nexus 4.

I called Straight Talk and the representative said they don't have T-Mobile Micro SIM Cards. They only have AT&T Micro SIM Cards and standard size T-Mobile SIM Cards. So would that mean I need to buy a standard size T-Mobile SIM from their website and manually cut it to fit my N4 in order to use the Straight Talk T-Mobile network?

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I called Straight Talk and the representative said they don't have T-Mobile Micro SIM Cards. They only have AT&T Micro SIM Cards and standard size T-Mobile SIM Cards. So would that mean I need to buy a standard size T-Mobile SIM from their website and manually cut it to fit my N4 in order to use the Straight Talk T-Mobile network?
Yes. If you want to use ST on T-Mobile's network with the N4, you have to cut down the standard SIM to micro size.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site

Yap, for now that's your only option, I bought a sim cutter off eBay for 6.99 and shove your existing sim in the direction shown on the cutter and punch away. No need emory cloth, clean cut as a whistle.

grayson73

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I took mine to the local T-mobile store and they cut it for free.

Eric Garcia

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Yes. If you want to use ST on T-Mobile's network with the N4, you have to cut down the standard SIM to micro size.

Yap, for now that's your only option, I bought a sim cutter off eBay for 6.99 and shove your existing sim in the direction shown on the cutter and punch away. No need emory cloth, clean cut as a whistle.

I took mine to the local T-mobile store and they cut it for free.

Thanks for the info! :)

Paul Wall 718

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Question I'm using net10 with att Sim card and get hsps + 15. I'm in NYC is there any better APN setting to get faster speeds? Also can I call net10 to have them switch to the T-Mobile Sim to test their speeds ?

ijonbrown

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Net10 only has 3G data, correct? No HSPA+?

I am using Net10 and I get HSPA+ 15 in the Louisville area. I am getting up to 5+ MBS down and a little over 1 up with ping times around 100. Not the fastest times in the world but I have WiFi at home and the office so it is fine for general searches and productivity for me. Over all I am very happy with Net10 so far.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I am using Net10 and I get HSPA+ 15 in the Louisville area. I am getting up to 5+ MBS down and a little over 1 up with ping times around 100. Not the fastest times in the world but I have WiFi at home and the office so it is fine for general searches and productivity for me. Over all I am very happy with Net10 so far.

i thought net10 uses att's or t-mobile's network so shouldn't it get hspa+21 (att) and hspa+42 (tmobile) in compatible areas? and would this be the same or different for straight talk?

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So ive got 2 plans I have been trying. the $30 tmobile deal and $45 ST with ATT.

Tmobile is fast and seemed to have pretty good coverage. When out and about no issues. Really satisfied for $30 a month. BUT then after a couple days of great experiences i had to go back to main job site. Its not the best for cell service since its enclosed and built to withstand F4 tornado. I cant get any data service at all. We have VZW and ATT repeaters but no Tmobile. So this totally blows as i cant see any way to get this to work for me.

So I decided to try the ST using ATT. $45 isnt near as good a deal but its really the only other choice i think. Got everthing set up and starting testing at home. Data speeds are horrendous. I mean like crappy 3G speeds, TMO was 12-15 mbps at home and with ST I am getting 2-4 if i am lucky. I do get full signal at work and speeds around 7-8 mbps. I testing a couple other areas and was getting 5-7 mbps. So for me ST means much slower rates but i do get a signal at all key areas for me.

So its really hard to say for me. I am used to LTE and great speeds and coverage and both of these routes are lacking in some area. My VZW bill is around $74 a month with the unlimited data still also. So while saving $30-40 a month would be great I am not sure if i can commit to either of these options yet.

verizon @ just $74 for unlimited data? i know you are grandfathered in from the old plans, but i didn't realize it was this cheap. will you get to keep unlimited data for as long as you stay with vzw?

ijonbrown

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

i thought net10 uses att's or t-mobile's network so shouldn't it get hspa+21 (att) and hspa+42 (tmobile) in compatible areas? and would this be the same or different for straight talk?

Yes they do both AT&T and T-Mobile but you select the one you want when you order the SIM. I selected the Unlocked GSM option and I appear to be on the AT&T network. You can order a T-Mobile but not in the micro SIM size.

HTCTundaBow

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
verizon @ just $74 for unlimited data? i know you are grandfathered in from the old plans, but i didn't realize it was this cheap. will you get to keep unlimited data for as long as you stay with vzw?

He probably gets some sort of discount. I'm paying $82/mo on VZW for unlimited data/text/450 minutes because of my 10% discount from work.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
He probably gets some sort of discount. I'm paying $82/mo on VZW for unlimited data/text/450 minutes because of my 10% discount from work.

oh ok. yea right now on sprint i'm actually paying $67/month because of a 25% work discount. but my download speeds are only like 1.5 mbps lol (no sprint LTE in my area).

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes they do both AT&T and T-Mobile but you select the one you want when you order the SIM. I selected the Unlocked GSM option and I appear to be on the AT&T network. You can order a T-Mobile but not in the micro SIM size.

yea i know i already have a micro att sim from straight talk, i was just asking about the data speeds, like shouldn't straight talk att get hspa+21 and straight talk tmobile get hspa+42 for compatible areas? or are these speeds just for the actual postpaid att and tmobile?

howarmat

Trusted Member
Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

yes i get a discount from work and I am on the same 450 minute plan with unlimited data. I am due for an upgrade right now and if i use it then i am pretty sure i lose my unlimited data. So i can buy phones outright and keep the unlimited data but im not sure if unlimited data is worth that much. I normally am under 2gb a month anyway.

If i do stick with ST or tmo then i would port my number to google voice and swap the number on VZW so I can keep my unlimited plan. I can also then stop service for 3 months with no payments but will have to start back up again after that. Lots of options and no real sense of what i am doing yet.

ijonbrown

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

yea i know i already have a micro att sim from straight talk, i was just asking about the data speeds, like shouldn't straight talk att get hspa+21 and straight talk tmobile get hspa+42 for compatible areas? or are these speeds just for the actual postpaid att and tmobile?

Oh sorry i guess I miss understood your question. I would assume that the main carriers would reserve some bandwidth and speed for there own customers instead of giving all the benefits of their network to the discount MVNO's. Just my thoughts though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc