Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

sk11venge

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

I just got my N4 yesterday with the ATT sim and I am very disappointed with the signal quality inside my house. Doesnt matter if I am upstairs or downstairs, at best I will get 1 or 2 bars for a moment then it will be back to no service again. What I dont understand is on the ATT website they list the coverage not just where my house and street is located as being the best signal possible, but the whole general area. So, either ATT is lying about their coverage in my area or theres some other issue going on. I havent been able to go outside for an extended period yet because of the rain. I did look to see what service was like at a local restaurant and again, where ATT says the best signal possible and it was the same result, barely a connection, 1 bar or 2 if that and not for more than a moment. Could it be the N4 is not setup right on the frequency bands when using a ST ATT micro sim card? I read other reports of very slow speeds, mines at best 4mbps down and 1 mbps up with 250-300ms ping according to speedtest. I know ATT's hspa network isnt LTE but surely its not that bad. Sprints 4g wimax at my house is at least 2x better than that.

I plan on trying t mobile on the $30 plan even though i dont have much hope for it either, their coverage map lists my area at satisfactory for 3g/4g coverage and good for 2g/voice.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm no expert, but why not switch to the t- mobile $30 plan? Unless you want to switch to AT&T? You're w Wi-Fi usage doesn't count toward your data usage.

I'm looking to switch to ST from T-mobile classic plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a similar issue with call reception at my house. The signal keeps dropping and I have no service. It's not much better with sprint, my current carrier. I think I live on the outer edge of two towers. My data speeds are horrid at my house, but I get the best speeds about a mile away. I got like 7mbps down and 3 up. At my house, I barely get 1mbps down, but that is better than sprint here. We only have sprint 4g in one neighboring city. T- mobile's coverage is worse in my area and where I travel to, so I pretty much have to stick with AT&T. My husband is switching to a sprint mvno because he loves his windows phone with keyboard, so I think that eliminates us from getting an air rave to get a better signal here.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm no expert, but why not switch to the t- mobile $30 plan? Unless you want to switch to AT&T? You're w Wi-Fi usage doesn't count toward your data usage.

i think for some ppl, the 100 min just isn't enough, I tried, and I had to refill $10 twice. The voip app voice quality just not good enough.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Well TMobile is starting new prepaid plans in select markets, one of which is $45 unlimited everything. The say unlimited "high speed" data...no one is sure what that is yet. Let's hope it catches on and it's hspa...

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about porting my current number to ST. I've already purchased a sim from ST and activated my phone with a ST number. My old phone is still on Sprint and I want to port my number. I'm a little fuzzy on which option to select on the porting process for ST. Do I just pick the "Activate my Straight Talk Service with a number from another company" option? Even though my ST service is already activated? I just don't want to mess this up.

dmowry7300

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have been using Straight Talk ATT since November 20th, I haven't had any issues at all. I average about 5mb down/1mb up (I peak at 8mb down and like 2mb up, and sometimes I get a constant 6mb down like today.).

I will list my APN settings below. Good coverage in the Metro Detroit area.

Edit : Having no proxy/port lets the Speedtest app display your download rate effectively. It doesn't effect speeds from what I have tested (somewhat), anyone else can feel free to give it a try and let us know.

APN - att.mvno
Proxy - None Set
Port - None Set
Username - None Set
Password - None set
Server - None Set
MMSC - http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy - 66.209.11.33
MMS Port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 410
Authentication type - Not Set
APN Type - default,supl,mms

Just received my Nexus 4 yesterday and loving this phone. Used these settings and have not had any problems with picture messages at all. I did notice that when sending text to multiple recipients the phones stock settings were set to send as MMS message and it would not go through. After changing that setting to send as regular text message my multiple text went through. I will continue to update my experience with this phone and with ST.

SportsAndTV

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I got my Nexus 4 yesterday and ported my number to ST from Sprint. It was very easy and I was surprised by how quick it was. I went with the AT&T sim because T-Mobile has bad coverage in areas I visit from time to time and AT&T is very solid everywhere I go. With Sprint the fastest speed test I saw on my phone was 326kbps. In less then a day and not leaving my house I've average almost 6000kbps so I'm more then happy with the jump in speed so far.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered another sim from ST. There was no way to port my number to the sim I already have. They are having a special until Dec 17th of free overnight shipping on their sim cards.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You need to port the number BEFORE you terminate your contract. Porting will terminate it. So, you're likely gonna be on the hook for an additional month's bill, or an ETF depending on when you do it.

There is no ETF for porting your number from AT&T to ST. Its treated as changing sim card. Its been proven this works @howardsforum.com. Its from AT&T to AT&T. ST is AT&T MVNO.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not saying you're wrong, because I have no idea. However, I have a very hard time seeing that as working. I mean, let's say I just started a new two year contract with att. Then I switch to straight talk, a no contract provider. Then I don't renew the account at the end of 30 days. At that point there is no way they can now charge me an ETF as ST is no contract. Will att simply let you walk away without collecting the $300+ ETF?

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
There is no ETF for porting your number from AT&T to ST. Its treated as changing sim card. Its been proven this works @howardsforum.com. Its from AT&T to AT&T. ST is AT&T MVNO.

This is absolutely wrong. If you are in contract with a carrier and break the contract to switch providers, you will be charged the ETF.

An MVNO is a separate company. It's a completely different carrier. It doesn't matter that Straight Talk uses AT&T's towers. You're leaving AT&T if you port your number.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource sorry, the first post had wrong url. Search under Straight Talk forum

Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1778302

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
That's a very interesting development, could be an error in AT&T's system or just how things are setup, either way, that's good to know...

But I would like to know if someone else has tried this and was not charged an ETF.

Sorry I doubted you by the way.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
That's a very interesting development, could be an error in AT&T's system or just how things are setup, either way, that's good to know...

But I would like to know if someone else has tried this and was not charged an ETF.

Sorry I doubted you by the way.

I did, ported two numbers from AT&T with 6 months remaining last June, I wish I kept the last billing statement that said. But I remember the exact statement "Hello, This is your final bill for wireless services and reflects all charges applied to your account through July 23. Payment of this bill is due in full by, I forgot the date" There was no ETF charges included.

Sweet Pikake

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:
Porting from ATT to ST under contract

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.

I have not seen anyone posting the ETF charges reverted back when porting from ST to different carrier. Hopefully, the amount of time they stayed with ST counted as time consumed.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
On a different note, I hit a little over 2.5gb on my nexus 4 using the att straight talk card. My cycle doesn't end until the 22nd. No threats or warnings. I am going to keep pushing a bit and see what happens. If I cannot use the phone the way I want, I will just stay with Verizon and sell this phone. I am not going to go to extremes, but if I need to tether for a bit or want to watch a show on Netflix, I will. If they cut me off then straight talk isn't for me. I cannot port my number from Verizon to Google anyway, so might just save me some hassle to stay with Verizon.

Shame though, I really like this Nexus 4!