Anyone using Nexus 4 on Straight Talk?

dmowry7300

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Latest update on my Nexus 4 with Straight Talk. Absolutely loving this LG Nexus 4, this phone is so smooth and fast!!! Received my phone on Friday and have not had any issues so far with MMS messages or anything with ST. Only thing that really sucks is that Saturday when getting out of my truck I dropped my phone from about 3 feet onto the pavement:-(
After getting myself composed and finding the nerve to inspect the damage, to my surprise the only thing that happened was a few scuffs around the chrome bezel....still really sucks though!!! Been averaging 3mb down and around 1.5 mb up on my at&t sim. Not blazing fast but so much faster than Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have been very happy with the speeds this phone has gotten. Nowhere near LTE but much better than Verizon's 3g!

uploadfromtaptalk1355166035677.jpg

drmanhattan57

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from verizon 4g. i love this phone, and i also love the no strings attached nature of my at&t straight talk sim. my data service has been dicey, when its good i'm around 3-5 mbs up 1 mbs down and when its not im pulling barely 1 mbs down and this could vary from me driving down the street. god i hate big red but i miss my blazing speed. In a perfect world i would have my cake and eat it too

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from verizon 4g. i love this phone, and i also love the no strings attached nature of my at&t straight talk sim. my data service has been dicey, when its good i'm around 3-5 mbs up 1 mbs down and when its not im pulling barely 1 mbs down and this could vary from me driving down the street. god i hate big red but i miss my blazing speed. In a perfect world i would have my cake and eat it too

Same boat here. Yep its sux alright but I look at it this way: I am paying way less (over half) a month, so I would expect less. I am mostly on wifi anyways.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone using Straight Talk from the Dallas area? If so, are you using AT&T or TMobile straight talk? Also, how is it working in Dallas and how are your data speeds? Thanks.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
i came from sprint and am very impressed with straight talk (im using it with att). my down speeds have been between 5-6 iirc, and upload speeds have been faster too. I'm finding that even when i get a weaker signal strength than sprints, i'm still pulling much faster speeds. With sprint, i don't think i've gotten more than 2 down lol. side question: my network type in settings toggles between HSPA 10, and HSPA +15, I'm guessing straight talk doesn't get HSPA+21?

castroyy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
After using ST with AT&T for 3 weeks now I am pretty happy. My data speeds are rather low but I live in the sticks. I was in a larger city this past weekend and the data speeds were 10-15. I get 1-6 at work and at home. I am almost always on WIFI so it's not a big deal. However I tried to stream Google Music one night for my daughter and it was god awful slow.

I am still nervous about ST and their data cap. My month is up in a week and I have barely used any cell data however there are will be a time where I am going to need more then 100MB a day. It is rare but it does happen. I really wish that T-Mobile's data coverage was better by me because I would have been all over their $30 dollar plan. The 100 minutes is iffy but I would have just thrown extra money on the account to make up for it. With StraightTalk I am paying $48 or so with tax. I figured T-Mobile would have cost me $40 or so with extra minutes. And I don't think I ever used close to 5GB when I had my unlimited Verizon plan. I have heard mixed stories about ST and when they actually throttle users. It would suck to have no data when I really needed it. I listen to Sirius at work (Streaming over WIFI) and one day I forgot to turn my WIFI on. I had turned it off to test my data speeds. About an hour into the morning I lost my data connection. I couldn't even access a webpage. I noticed that I had WIFI off and I turned it back on. Bam my data came back right away. I had used less then 75MB that morning and while I can't confirm that they throttled me I just assumed they did.

That is the only part of ST that worries me. Other then that I have been happy so far. I did order another T-Mobile SIM to try out again. I am on vacation starting next week and I will have plenty of time to run some extensive tests around my area!

VSG28

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Here is a direct link to the thread you are referring to:
Porting from ATT to ST under contract

If the stories in the thread are indeed true then I owe you an apology. It seems that there is a major loophole in AT&T's billing system with regard to porting to ST.

While people in the HoFo thread are stating that they haven't been billed the ETF, they are also saying that AT&T won't unlock any phone that they try to take with them to ST. (The AT&T phones are SIM-locked.) So if they want to use a phone they purchased from AT&T they'll have to get it unlocked through a 3rd party. Not a big deal these days, but still an issue.

Also, no one has confirmed what will happen if someone decides to leave ST after porting over to them, while still in the original contract period with AT&T. Will AT&T bill them for the ETF if they leave the network (by leaving ST)?

Very interesting development. I wonder, how long before AT&T figures it out and closes the loophole?

By the way, T-Mobile doesn't have such a loophole. Going from T-Mobile to ST with a T-Mobile-compatible SIM while in contract will get you stuck with an ETF.

This is awesome news, I will definitely try it out and see if it works.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
i came from sprint and am very impressed with straight talk (im using it with att). my down speeds have been between 5-6 iirc, and upload speeds have been faster too. I'm finding that even when i get a weaker signal strength than sprints, i'm still pulling much faster speeds. With sprint, i don't think i've gotten more than 2 down lol. side question: my network type in settings toggles between HSPA 10, and HSPA +15, I'm guessing straight talk doesn't get HSPA+21?

The network type that you're seeing in settings does not correspond to Mbps speed. It's an HSPA category. Read this: http://pocketnow.com/smartphone-news/is-your-4g-hspa-category-10-14-or-20

Category 15 is basically the same thing as 14 except it's MIMO (multi-input, multi-output). More efficient, but not really faster than Category 14.

Note that the Network Type setting doesn't say "HSPA+15". It says "HSPA+:15". There is no such thing as HSPA+15 or +10. The only speed-related names are "HSPA+21" and "HSPA+42". The 21 & 42 are theoretical maximum speeds in Mbps. You'll never see those speeds in real life on an HSPA+ network. Realistically, on a good day with a really strong signal and few people on the same network tower, you'll see about half of the theoretical speed.

Last edited:

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
After using ST with AT&T for 3 weeks now I am pretty happy. My data speeds are rather low but I live in the sticks. I was in a larger city this past weekend and the data speeds were 10-15. I get 1-6 at work and at home. I am almost always on WIFI so it's not a big deal. However I tried to stream Google Music one night for my daughter and it was god awful slow.

I am still nervous about ST and their data cap. My month is up in a week and I have barely used any cell data however there are will be a time where I am going to need more then 100MB a day. It is rare but it does happen. I really wish that T-Mobile's data coverage was better by me because I would have been all over their $30 dollar plan. The 100 minutes is iffy but I would have just thrown extra money on the account to make up for it. With StraightTalk I am paying $48 or so with tax. I figured T-Mobile would have cost me $40 or so with extra minutes. And I don't think I ever used close to 5GB when I had my unlimited Verizon plan. I have heard mixed stories about ST and when they actually throttle users. It would suck to have no data when I really needed it. I listen to Sirius at work (Streaming over WIFI) and one day I forgot to turn my WIFI on. I had turned it off to test my data speeds. About an hour into the morning I lost my data connection. I couldn't even access a webpage. I noticed that I had WIFI off and I turned it back on. Bam my data came back right away. I had used less then 75MB that morning and while I can't confirm that they throttled me I just assumed they did.

That is the only part of ST that worries me. Other then that I have been happy so far. I did order another T-Mobile SIM to try out again. I am on vacation starting next week and I will have plenty of time to run some extensive tests around my area!

you might want to try getting a 3 months card from Walmart, comes out to 42 a month. I tried the tmo $30 plan. it's fast, but service was too spotty. 100 min wasn't nearly enough for me either.

dmowry7300

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Would turning on Data Roaming in the settings be advantages for any reason while using at&t straight talk?

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I received my Nexus 4 a week ago and last night I finally hooked it up with Straight Talk. Pretty good process and it worked out great. Coming from Metro Pcs where I would get about 1-4mbps on average I am now getting 3.5-6mbps on average with Straight Talk using At&t service. Also so far I have had reception everywhere and real world speeds are great. At home or anywhere possible I am using wifi. On the road here in South Fl the At&t service is great.

Even if T-Mobile were to have faster speeds as of now I am very happy with Straight talk and At&t, especially coming from Metro pcs.

I've been working a lot lately and haven't really been able to use the phone much, but on the surface I love it and will be an excellent phone for me for at least 6months to a year, until the next one comes out. In January I plan to buy my wife phone. Sometime later this month I may explore some custom roms. Regardless I work 60+ hour weeks (Shooting Editing Video) so back to work I go.

peace

Horable

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Before getting a Nexus 4, I was on verizon for 10 years. I first siwtched to the T-Mobile and their $30 unlimited plan. When I got their HSPA signal is felt almost as fast as my verizon 4gLTE speed, but that signal was unreliable to say the least. Anytime I would go into a building, like work or my house the signal would be spotty I would go from full bars to no bars all the time. Also it seemed whenever I needed to check my phone almost half the time I would have no signal. My battery would start to drain quick with it falling in and out of signal. I live and work near Ocala, FL,

I got sick of the lack of service and switched to Straight Talk earlier this week, and get a much more reliable signal. The speed is not as fast as Tmobile, but is alot more reliable.

I do miss the reliability and speed of Verizon's LTE network, but I don't miss the price or the annoying bloatware they put on their phones. My last phone, the Droid Charge had so many annoying Vzn apps on it I couldn't get rid of. I didnt want to root my phone to get it without the bloatware. Also the fact that Vzn would only let me keep my unlimited data if I paid full price for a new phone was the last straw for me and I got a N4.

kappsta

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ST/T-Mobile in Chicago. What a difference versus Sprint!!!

315682803.png

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please help me get some sort of "visual voicemail" (just to see the list of voicemails, not a transcript) on my phone with Straight Talk - AT&T? It seems that I can't use YouMail, which I had when I was on Sprint. Someone else suggested Google Voice Lite, but I can't put in the forwarding number, I get the "incorrect MMI" error after dialing the conditional forwarding number. Is there some other way to get Google Voice Lite working? I really don't want to go back to standard voicemail. Thanks!

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone using Nexus4 on Straight Talk?

This is nerve racking... My nexus 4 was delivered yesterday but my straight talk sim isnt coming until today. I've been up since 6am in anticipation. Every time I heard a loud noise outside I jump up and look out of the window to see if its the FedEx truck.

I cant to get a sim into my N4 and run some speed tests. I've been on sprint for like 10 years, now its time to see what StraightTalk / AT&T can do.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys have a look at Android and Me
They are strong advocates of mvnos like straight talk, solavei etc. They have great articles on mvno plans, unlocked gsm phones etc. I am a total gsm pimp now.
I came from vz and boy am I happy to get out of their lame contract. ST is the bomb. :D

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please help me get some sort of "visual voicemail" (just to see the list of voicemails, not a transcript) on my phone with Straight Talk - AT&T? It seems that I can't use YouMail, which I had when I was on Sprint. Someone else suggested Google Voice Lite, but I can't put in the forwarding number, I get the "incorrect MMI" error after dialing the conditional forwarding number. Is there some other way to get Google Voice Lite working? I really don't want to go back to standard voicemail. Thanks!

Okay, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. I hadn't downloaded the GV app and run the configuration on the app. Once I did that, it started working. I found the info here: Straight Talk w/ GV Voicemail - xda-developers

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Would turning on Data Roaming in the settings be advantages for any reason while using at&t straight talk?

No because I do not think the prepaid deals allow roaming.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton