Notification settings makes no sense

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
So with jellybean 4.2 you pull down the notification window and see your settings but instead of performing the action it just takes you to the actual setting menu. And from there you adjust your setting. I think this is where google could improve, I don't understand why it wouldn't just perform the task. I mean come on settings widgets in the Play Store can do it why not jelly bean?
Also while I am on my soap box, I think it is time for google to have visual voicemail !! Yes I no you can use Google Voice, but I should not have to sign up for it. I hate to say this but iOS has had this from day one. So I no it is possible, and not due to some carrier nonsense.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
So with jellybean 4.2 you pull down the notification window and see your settings but instead of performing the action it just takes you to the actual setting menu. And from there you adjust your setting. I think this is where google could improve, I don't understand why it wouldn't just perform the task. I mean come on settings widgets in the Play Store can do it why not jelly bean?
Also while I am on my soap box, I think it is time for google to have visual voicemail !! Yes I no you can use Google Voice, but I should not have to sign up for it. I hate to say this but iOS has had this from day one. So I no it is possible, and not due to some carrier nonsense.

Visual voicemail would be nice and was the best experience for voicemail on a phone when I had my iPhone but I don't think its that big of a deal. More of a want then a need. At the time, Apple created visual voicemail with AT&T so I think it actually does involve the carrier in some way.

MrSherms

Great Googley Moogley!
May 4, 2012
Visit site

So you have the option to use Google Voice, which offers features similar to visual voicemail (and other great features far beyond just visual voicemail IMO) all for free, yet you don't want to sign-up for it? This just doesn't make sense to me, and I really do believe that what you are missing by not utilizing Google Voice is exactly what you are asking Google to provide you. I switched from iOS to Android in the last year, but I gotta say that I switched to using Google Voice on my iPhone (in lieu of visual voicemail) pretty early on, and have never turned back (nor regretted it). You should really consider checking it out.

solid_s_1117

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So with jellybean 4.2 you pull down the notification window and see your settings but instead of performing the action it just takes you to the actual setting menu. And from there you adjust your setting. I think this is where google could improve, I don't understand why it wouldn't just perform the task..

It is aesthetically pleasing, but I too do not understand why this pane does not function with actual Toggles. The idea has been around (and implemented) since the early days of Cyanogen and is even present in Samsung devices now. But this is why we have Root right. In fact, the newest build of AOKP has the ability to customize this Toggle Pane to fit the user's desired efficacy and function as legitimate toggles.

rclifton

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site

Not sure who you are using as a carrier but if it's an MVNO you won't be getting visual voicemail aside from Google Voice anytime soon as it requires carrier support. If you are using an MVNO then you are probably still screwed as most don't allow conditional call forwarding and Google Voice never worked for me as a voicemail alternative without it.

Makai5

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I started to use Google voice and so far it seems to work. But you should not have to root just to get some simple things like settings to do what you except them to do. I hope Google fixes this. I don't understand why visual voicemail is so much ask. Come on its 2012

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Not sure who you are using as a carrier but if it's an MVNO you won't be getting visual voicemail aside from Google Voice anytime soon as it requires carrier support. If you are using an MVNO then you are probably still screwed as most don't allow conditional call forwarding and Google Voice never worked for me as a voicemail alternative without it.
I don't have an MVNO but I have a T-mobile prepaid plan, which does not allow conditional call forwarding. What I did was to call them have them shut off my Voicemail. I told them I did not want it. It works for me. Of course, this would only be useful to you if and only if you use your Google Voice number as your primary number and not just use Google Voice as a voice mail box for your number provided by your mobile provider. I severed myself off of carrier provided numbers about 3 or 4 years ago and moved over to using my Google Voice number for all purposes.

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
but instead of performing the action it just takes you to the actual setting menu. And from there you adjust your setting.

Seriously? Ugh. That's really lame. Why on Earth would they that? I never imagined that those were not toggles.

But this is why we have Root right.

No, not really. I mean not for me at least. The basic OS interactions should be polished and well thought out by Google. Kind of sounds like 4.2 has some rough edges.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've got no problems with it, I set up widgets to toggle everything that I want to turn on/off quickly. The Settings menu is just that - quick access to the settings of the different items.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've got no problems with it, I set up widgets to toggle everything that I want to turn on/off quickly. The Settings menu is just that - quick access to the settings of the different items.

Fact that you need to install widget, only proofs how this fails :p I could turn on Wifi with same amount of steps without 4.2, they could place whole settings there and it would be quicker

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
100% agree with this. The menu and swipe gesture are awesome looking but they provide less utility than power toggles widget. wont be using them as much as a result.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

i think google didnt have enough time to do that. it could come in next version

or

they didnt want to screw those developers who make those widgets

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
i think google didnt have enough time to do that. it could come in next version

or

they didnt want to screw those developers who make those widgets

I think 4.2 was kind of rushed. Google loves to put developers out of business. Look what they did to swipe lol. But look how the lock screen widgets and multi user features were only added days before the launch and the test devices did not have those features. Seems like they were running out of time as the device release day was rapidly approaching.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I think 4.2 was kind of rushed. Google loves to put developers out of business. Look what they did to swipe lol. But look how the lock screen widgets and multi user features were only added days before the launch and the test devices did not have those features. Seems like they were running out of time as the device release day was rapidly approaching.

I wouldn't say 4.2 was rushed but very few are rushed like quick settings

for example multiuser support was there in 4.1 but they didnt enable it. they felt that it was not ready. it was under work for more than a year.
lock screen widget was not rushed i would say since the framework was already there. all they have do was bring it to the lock screen. there are apps which did lockscreen widget for example google music which was available in lock screen from 4.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa