Nexus Software Life Cycle

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am anxious to get a Nexus 4 and I plan to keep of for very long time. Since I want the N4 for considerable amount time which leaves to wonder how long Google will keep the OS updated.

Nexus One made it a year.
Nexus S basically two years.

Will two years be the cycle Google will try to keep with Nexus devices from now on?

Will Google try to go longer than 2 years?

Right now for Galaxy Nexus does not seem it might not make 2 year mark like Nexus S. GN with 4.2 may have shown it's limitations.

I would like Nexus 4 to be update for three years as long as it is feasible and performance improve or same.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
2 years minimum is Google's intention with all Nexus devices. The Nexus One was updated for 2 years, not one. All others will be the same. The Nexus S was recently listed as not going to receive a 4.2 upgrade, which falls in line with that same 2 year practice. And the Galaxy Nexus will be updated for another year.

Beyond that you can expect that the development community will continue to support Nexus devices even longer.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would like Nexus 4 to be update for three years as long as it is feasible and performance improve or same.
And I'd like my girlfriend to be updated to the current Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover model, too, but that's highly unlikely to happen either.

Google has committed to two years support for phones and this topic has been bandied about here before when the Nexus S "got screwed" out of 4.2 in month #23 of its life despite launching with GB and receiving ICS and JB within an 18 month span. Don't forget that even if Google doesn't push whatever the letter-N dessert flavor out to the N4 directly, it will likely be supported by ROM makers like CM. Because your phone simply becomes useless if it's not running the latest greatest, right?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
By the time updates stop, you will be well out of warranty. That's when you unlock your bootloader and install the latest version of Android made by developers. For example, the Nexus One has Jelly Bean running on it unofficially.

Sent from my Nexus 7

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Nexus One for 2 years on Exlair/Gingerbread did it have latest update before ICS?

It did.. 2.3.7, it was still Gingerbread. Gingerbread had a longer-than-standard name/life span because Honeycomb was introduced in between GB and ICS, and that was for tablets only.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that even if Google doesn't push whatever the letter-N dessert flavor out to the N4 directly, it will likely be supported by ROM makers like CM. Because your phone simply becomes useless if it's not running the latest greatest, right?
Obviously no the phone doesn't become useless but just thought that it is interesting they would support a device for two years as if you were on contract. Many on a contract would upgrade but my thoughts what would keep from upgrading is it more software or hardware. Since googke is pushing people away from contracts you would think they try to support devices longer than two years if they can because majority would rather pay $200 on contract upgrade phone rather than the $300 plus. The majority not evaluating the savings that could be earned over times rather than initial perceived cheaper value of a contract plan.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It did.. 2.3.7, it was still Gingerbread. Gingerbread had a longer-than-standard name/life span because Honeycomb was introduced in between GB and ICS, and that was for tablets only.

The Nexus One actually stopped at 2.3.6, but I think 2.3.7 was specifically targeted for Nexus S fixes.

Last edited:

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
By the time updates stop, you will be well out of warranty. That's when you unlock your bootloader and install the latest version of Android made by developers. For example, the Nexus One has Jelly Bean running on it unofficially.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I undserstand my thoughts are more on the majority that don't hack and stick with mobile contracts. I am just thinking that to appeal to customers by keeping nexus device up to date longer than two years.

As far as warranty goes I believe Google down the road should provide there own nexus device protection plan.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I undserstand my thoughts are more on the majority that don't hack and stick with mobile contracts. I am just thinking that to appeal to customers by keeping nexus device up to date longer than two years.

As far as warranty goes I believe Google down the road should provide there own nexus device protection plan.

As Nexus owners, we actually have it better than any other device line. Other devices not only get slower updates, but usually skip many OS versions, whereas a Nexus will basically get every update to Android that Google releases (while it's still being updated). On the other end of the spectrum, a phone like the Huawei MyTouch that was released a couple months ago running Gingerbread will never see a major OS update.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think its by years I think its by major updates, and I think they get 2 of them (nexus s 2.3 to 4.1, nexus one 2.1 to 2.3)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
As Nexus owners, we actually have it better than any other device line. Other devices not only get slower updates, but usually skip many OS versions, whereas a Nexus will basically get every update to Android that Google releases (while it's still being updated). On the other end of the spectrum, a phone like the Huawei MyTouch that was released a couple months ago running Gingerbread will never see a major OS update.

Yes that's true. I guess their was searching for some reason for Google update a device longer than two years would be more beneficial then the end user.

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
In this day and age of faster, better and what's new that is one of the MAIN reasons why not to have a contract. I upgrade my phone every year, heck every 6-8months if I could... In about 3-4 months there will be a S4 and that will beat everything out.

Point is by me buying the Nexus 4 as many others we will not keep this phone for more than a year. Heck if I buy it in December (finally available hopefully) then by the time July comes around I will be on the latest and greatest. Technology is moving to fast for you, me anyone to stay stuck with a mobile phone for so long. I mean this is not a computer or television, these phones for $300 and less get faster and better so I upgrade every year and then sell it.

Case in point I am currently a MetroPcs user using an Lg Connect. Excellent phone when it came out, but now it's time to move on as the technology is old. I will easily sell this phone for a $100 and use that money to buy the Nexus 4 and pay the difference. Rinse and repeat.......

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Nexus one and nexus s didnt go pass the 2 year because the hardware was not capable.

they had to cut down the support. Gnexus which is still capable phone would make at least 2 years imo.
nexus 4 is more than capable so they would support it for long.

mike37918

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
In this day and age of faster, better and what's new that is one of the MAIN reasons why not to have a contract. I upgrade my phone every year, heck every 6-8months if I could... In about 3-4 months there will be a S4 and that will beat everything out.

Point is by me buying the Nexus 4 as many others we will not keep this phone for more than a year. Heck if I buy it in December (finally available hopefully) then by the time July comes around I will be on the latest and greatest. Technology is moving to fast for you, me anyone to stay stuck with a mobile phone for so long. I mean this is not a computer or television, these phones for $300 and less get faster and better so I upgrade every year and then sell it.

Case in point I am currently a MetroPcs user using an Lg Connect. Excellent phone when it came out, but now it's time to move on as the technology is old. I will easily sell this phone for a $100 and use that money to buy the Nexus 4 and pay the difference. Rinse and repeat.......

God bless you sir. It's folks like you who keep the consumer-driven economy afloat.

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
You have to make it and spend it..... What you going to retire with all that money when your 65 and than enjoy it? If I work hard now I reward myself now. As long as My bills are paid first, + essentials are taken care of the extra money I spend.

If I upgrade phones once a year for something I use daily I find that more that fair. I work 50-60+ hour weeks, $300-$400 I spend once a year on good technology imo is worth it.