What's the difference: ST $45 vs. Tmo $60?

jaxdave

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Straight Talk offers unlimited everything for $45/mo. on ATT or Tmo. The unlimited monthly 4g plan on Tmo is $60. They appear to be identical. There has to be a difference. What is it? Why pay $15 more on Tmo monthly 4g?

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Check the coverage maps. Many prepaid plans only offer coverage on the carriers network. No partner roaming. Also you may not be able to roam internationally if that is important to you.

life4eva

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Straight Talk offers unlimited everything for $45/mo. on ATT or Tmo. The unlimited monthly 4g plan on Tmo is $60. They appear to be identical. There has to be a difference. What is it? Why pay $15 more on Tmo monthly 4g?

Neither plan is unlimited...... T-mobile $60 plan is the first 2gb of data at 4g speeds, after that you are throttled down...

Straight Talk around the same or less, but honestly you never know.

The only TRUE unlimited plan are Metropcs, but obviously the Nexus 4 does not work on their service. They do have the Galaxy S3 though....

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

You're not allowed to stream on Straight Talk, while T-Mobile has a soft data cap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jimmycinla

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I stream on ST and go well over 2gb of data monthly, never with any throttling or ST complaints or warnings.

My only issue is the no international roaming available with ST.
To get international roaming i got a prepaid SIM from tmobile (99 cents) and put it on a pay per day plan. When you leave the US use the Tmobile sim, make sure you have a balance to cover the charges.

j

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

The biggest difference between the two is you know T-Mobile's cap for data before throttling. On ST, no one really knows for sure because ST doesn't spell it out. Some people report never getting throttled even after using 4-5gb, others barely pass 1gb before their speeds plummet. It all depends on where you are and how crowded the network is, but you will have no idea what your cap is until you hit it.

Also, on T-Mobile's plan you can buy phone insurance for $7/mo. I don't know if ST offers anything like that.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
ST has written Terms of Use that basically forbid you from ever accessing the internet through their services :)
If they ever decide you're overloading their local system, they always have SOMETHING to point to where you violated the TOS and are either throttled or have your account cancelled.

Some people hit this wall at exactly 2gb in month or a couple hundred mb in a day, some people torrent movies all day long and never hear a peep.

Metalkid69

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I use ST with a T-mo sim and average about 3-4 GB of data here in Los Angeles.. I stream youtube and Google music all the time (4 to 5 videos a day, up to an hour of music/day)... Never had any throttling or warning... Best Bang for my buck! ... (At least here in my area... I hear it varies).. ;)

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I stream on ST and go well over 2gb of data monthly, never with any throttling or ST complaints or warnings.

My only issue is the no international roaming available with ST.
To get international roaming i got a prepaid SIM from tmobile (99 cents) and put it on a pay per day plan. When you leave the US use the Tmobile sim, make sure you have a balance to cover the charges.

j

You just haven't been caught streaming. Streaming is indeed against ST's terms of service.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fwww.straighttalk.com%2Fterms&token=nH_35bIr

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You just haven't been caught streaming. Streaming is indeed against ST's terms of service.

Terms and Conditions
That is rather weird. And you're right. I am just wondering what in the world I'm supposed to do with data on a Smart phone other than streaming audio and video. Check email and Facebook? They must be joking.

Personally, I use T-mobile's $30, 5GB plan. Never have to worry about data. I do what I want, and use wifi when it's available. No big deal, no problems.

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is rather weird. And you're right. I am just wondering what in the world I'm supposed to do with data on a Smart phone other than streaming audio and video. Check email and Facebook? They must be joking.

Personally, I use T-mobile's $30, 5GB plan. Never have to worry about data. I do what I want, and use wifi when it's available. No big deal, no problems.

I know right? has anyone been "kicked off" for streaming pandora and/or youtube?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know right? has anyone been "kicked off" for streaming pandora and/or youtube?

No, and chances are you never will. Straight Talk simply puts a whole bunch of possible reasons to kick you off their network if they so choose. That way, when Straight Talk has a large enough customer base to actually be able to choose who are their least profitable customers, they can start kicking them out.

Verizon and AT&T can't easily rid themselves of their heaviest users on their unlimited plans, because some of them are still under contract. They can make life harder and add hoops to keep it, but they can't actually discontinue the plans until the last customer is out of committed contract on unlimited.

Straight Talk is being smarter about it. They specify obvious and frequently-used services as violations of the ToS so they can cherry-pick anyone they find unprofitable, point to the ToS violation, and discontinue service. No fuss, no muss.

Of course, they could anyway, but having an impossible-to-follow ToS makes it easier to kick the less-profitable "bums" out.

radimir

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Do you use your phone only for data? I had that plan and I don't call a lot, really, mostly txt. but the 100min limit would go fast. Every month I had to add at least a little more mins.Went to ST instead.