Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I have read posts from various people saying that they started a new contract with TMobile to get the Nexus 4 for $199, subsequently cancelled the contract, paid the $200 ETF and are now using their Nexus 4 just fine. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Seems like a faster way to get a Nexus 4 than waiting for Google to fix their supply issues. If you do this, can you then use a TMobile prepaid SIM in the same Nexus you just bought on contract? And if so, couldn't you wait for a sale on the Note 2 and do the same thing? Do they make you pay the balance of the phone? You could just start a new contract, cancel 2 days later and have a much cheaper phone. Anyone actually done something like this? Thanks.
  2. #2  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I cannot speak for tmo specifically but to the best of my knowledge your imei number will be blocked UNTIL you pay the bill. So lets say this

    you go and buy it on contract, then the next day you cancel the contract and walk out.
    The next day you try to start up the prepaid, your phone will be blocked.
    the next day you go and pay your EFT
    the next day you go to start up the prepaid, it will fire up without issue.

    My point is they generally block the phone until it is paid up
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    So, even still...once you pay the ETF, you are out a total of $400 and you have a working Nexus 4 or ,theoretically, a Note 2? That still seems like a better deal than waiting for weeks for the Google stock...
  4. #4  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Theoretically that is correct. I am surprised that the ETF is so low....i think verizon is 350
  5. #5  
    Citizen Coyote's Avatar

    Posts
    936 Posts
    ROM
    KK 4.4.3

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Theoretically that is correct. I am surprised that the ETF is so low....i think verizon is 350
    It's probably because they do not offer the iPhone. Both Verizon and Sprint upped their ETF to $350 when they started carrying the iPhone. Sprint in particular has an ETF of $200 for devices sold prior to October 2011, which coincides with the iPhone 4s release last year.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I was very tempted at doing this several times as my local Tmo score still has a few in stock but I can't bring myself to do it. I'll just be patient when Google restocks the N4.
  7. #7  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,625 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I suspect you may also be obligated to maintain the account for some short period of time and pay for that service at post-paid rates. That would get you service for that period of time, of course, but also increase your out-of-pocket expense for the phone if you have no interest in using the service.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    They may still make you pay the difference. It really depends on which rep you talk to. The easy ones will let you pay the ETF. Good luck
  9. #9  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I talked to a store today and called 611 and was told I would need to pay the remainder balance of the phone plus the 200 ETF bringing my total to 700! Plus the couple days of service. i will be returning it today and buying outright for 500. about 100 more than the play store once you add the taxes and shipping. Just be careful about this. I'm willing to pay the 500 outright price cuz now that I have played with it I love it and don't wanna go back to my cheap phone. But as stated earlier just be really careful about this
  10. #10  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,625 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by Burleson90 View Post
    I talked to a store today and called 611 and was told I would need to pay the remainder balance of the phone plus the 200 ETF bringing my total to 700! Plus the couple days of service. i will be returning it today and buying outright for 500. about 100 more than the play store once you add the taxes and shipping. Just be careful about this. I'm willing to pay the 500 outright price cuz now that I have played with it I love it and don't wanna go back to my cheap phone. But as stated earlier just be really careful about this
    What? Sorry, I don't doubt that was what you were told, but that makes no sense whatsoever. The $200 ETF is to reimburse them for the subsidy, it's not supposed to be in addition to a reimbursement of the subsidy.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Now that I'm not a teenager and starting to believe things my parents told me, this seems like a bad idea. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Especially if you have to do some less than honest moves to get what you want. Yes, it may be in the fine print that you can cancel yada yada yada, but you guys know it wasn't intended for people to do this to get a phone. The reason Verizon stopped. My group of friends call this a "dope fiend move". Do what you have to to get what you want. Even if you have to weasel and maneuver to get it. If it works for you that's good I guess, but if it doesn't don't be surprised. I think deep down you know it isn't the right thing to do. Maybe not illegal, but not right. I bet no one is telling the TMobile sales person "so yeah, I'm just signing this to get this phone and then I'll cancel as soon as I get home so I can beat you on the price." I bet you're not. We all know 500 is over priced but if that's the price they choose, then that's their business. Whew, glad I got that out. Let the complaining and justifying begin!
  12. #12  
    Mugler Infusion's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    What does the ETF mean as in Early Termination Fee you don't get? exactly what it says, not pay back because it is being subsidized, you still have to pay for phone and since you canceled a contract with T-Mobile they charge you Early Termination Fee, that fee is the consequences for canceling a binding contract.

    You may ponder because you have 15 days I believe you may have to change your mind about the contract but you still have to pay the rest of the phone and usage fees, maybe activation too.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    Now that I'm not a teenager and starting to believe things my parents told me, this seems like a bad idea. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Especially if you have to do some less than honest moves to get what you want. Yes, it may be in the fine print that you can cancel yada yada yada, but you guys know it wasn't intended for people to do this to get a phone. The reason Verizon stopped. My group of friends call this a "dope fiend move". Do what you have to to get what you want. Even if you have to weasel and maneuver to get it. If it works for you that's good I guess, but if it doesn't don't be surprised. I think deep down you know it isn't the right thing to do. Maybe not illegal, but not right. I bet no one is telling the TMobile sales person "so yeah, I'm just signing this to get this phone and then I'll cancel as soon as I get home so I can beat you on the price." I bet you're not. We all know 500 is over priced but if that's the price they choose, then that's their business. Whew, glad I got that out. Let the complaining and justifying begin!
    I don't disagree with you...I was at first surprised that it might actually work, but I think it's a little too shady for me...
  14. #14  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by Burleson90 View Post
    I talked to a store today and called 611 and was told I would need to pay the remainder balance of the phone plus the 200 ETF bringing my total to 700! Plus the couple days of service. i will be returning it today and buying outright for 500. about 100 more than the play store once you add the taxes and shipping. Just be careful about this. I'm willing to pay the 500 outright price cuz now that I have played with it I love it and don't wanna go back to my cheap phone. But as stated earlier just be really careful about this
    I tried to tell everyone this one the first thread about this issue. That's correct. Unless you get someone who doesn't hold you to that standard. I say just wait, it will make a nice Christmas present.
  15. #15  
    reign831's Avatar

    Posts
    105 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    ROM
    Mmuzzy's AOSP 4.2

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenAaron View Post
    So, even still...once you pay the ETF, you are out a total of $400 and you have a working Nexus 4 or ,theoretically, a Note 2? That still seems like a better deal than waiting for weeks for the Google stock...
    Waiting you say?

    Because it's in stock at T-Mobile right?

    Nexus 4 | T-Mobile
  16. #16  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenAaron View Post
    So, even still...once you pay the ETF, you are out a total of $400 and you have a working Nexus 4 or ,theoretically, a Note 2? That still seems like a better deal than waiting for weeks for the Google stock...
    OK, I hope the people thinking the ETF is actually not just $200. If you look closely at the receipt or talk to a knowledgeable rep on the phone, you will see that you have to actually pay the unlocked price ALONG with the ETF. The subsidized price is $199. The unlocked price is $499. So, when you get your statement with the ETF fee, expect to see a nice $299+ charge for the phone as well. If you don't believe me, look at your receipt for the Nexus 4 and read the fine print. Do people really think they can screw a phone carrier by canceling the contract and keeping the phone for $400, when the carrier is selling it unlocked for $499?

    The phone hasn't been out long enough for people to get the final statement in the mail/email. I'd be curious to see if anyone doing this is actually making out with a Nexus 4 and is only paying $400, instead of the full $500, ALONG with the ETF fee. If people want the phone for a fair price, just get it from Google when its in stock. Its hilarious how impatient people are when a new device comes out... I think of the Walmart stampedes when I think of how people are reacting on this forum about the Nexus 4. It's just a phone, and so far for me, its been a crappy phone, has yellow tint, buzzing ear piece... but... awesome at everything else... :\
  17. #17  
    tpd15's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I just called T-Mo to see what the deal is with the one that I bought from them under this somewhat fishy scheme. I asked about cancellation, but didn't outright ask them if I can just buy the phone. Neither person I spoke to knew definitively what happens (they even said so as that wasn't their specific area), but both said that if I cancel after the grace period I have to pay the ETF and return the phone.

    Also, the order invoice that came with my phone specifically says: "Comments: Please note if you cancel your plan within the cancellation period, you must return your device or you will be charged the suggested retail price."

    Huh. I have 9 days to go...
  18. #18  
    tpd15's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Anyone have a definitive way to avoid paying the full retail on the T-Mo phone?
  19. #19  
    88 FLUX's Avatar

    Posts
    630 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by tpd15 View Post
    Anyone have a definitive way to avoid paying the full retail on the T-Mo phone?
    Yep... http://play.google.com/store
    Current: Moto X, ASUS Nexus 7 (2013)

    Standby:
    Samsung Galaxy S3, LG Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC Nexus One, ASUS Nexus 7 (2012), Motorola Xoom
    arcoms and mikelowrey like this.
  20. #20  
    tpd15's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by ock View Post
    <rimshot> heh
    88 FLUX likes this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Can anyone chime in with a "I screwed T-Mobile success story story" yet?
  22. #22  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    I didn't try it but I honestly hope it doesn't work. That's a shady way to get what you want when you want it. Might as well just keep paying and hope you get grandfathered in when they roll out lte.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    Quote Originally Posted by corance View Post
    I didn't try it but I honestly hope it doesn't work. That's a shady way to get what you want when you want it. Might as well just keep paying and hope you get grandfathered in when they roll out lte.
    Ya defend those carriers and their awesome contracts everyone loves to be part of!! Seriously though, just order the phone from Google and wait. It won't kill you to wait and then you don't have to deal with T Mobile's crap about canceling.
  24. #24  
    tpd15's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    The issue is that I already have the T-Mo phone...
  25. #25  

    Default Re: TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

    It has nothing to do with the iPhone at all and your timeing is off for when they got the iPhone and when they started the ETF. It has everything to do with the greed of these carriers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    It's probably because they do not offer the iPhone. Both Verizon and Sprint upped their ETF to $350 when they started carrying the iPhone. Sprint in particular has an ETF of $200 for devices sold prior to October 2011, which coincides with the iPhone 4s release last year.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So will my Tmobile Nexus Galaxy be HSPA+?
    By dannynyc in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM
  2. High Dialer Usage after Gingerbread update?
    By johndabeast in forum Thunderbolt Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
  3. Heavy data usage after upgrading to Gingerbread
    By schwars1 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2011, 12:08 PM
  4. Next Nexus phone (after Nexus S)
    By CraigM in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM
  5. Get your Nexus One subsidized? Beware of 2 ETF's...
    By Jeremy in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM

Posting Permissions