Today Nexus 4 Daily Steals

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
All this price gouging with the Nexus 4 just makes me glad I have a Galaxy Nexus so the need to get my hands on a Nexus 4 to have the pure Google experience isn't as dire :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The retail prices quoted on that site are always inflated. Case in point was when they were selling the GSM Galaxy Nexus a few weeks back I can't remember the exact retail price they used but it was WAY more than $349.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because Google is selling it for $299/$349 doesn't mean that's the real cost of the device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Just because Google is selling it for $299/$349 doesn't mean that's the real cost of the device.
Actually, yes it does. That's the price Google is selling it at, it's a Google phone, and that's its price. That is exactly what it means. That is not to say others may not buy it at a higher price, but the price Google is selling it IS its actual price.

And it's certainly not a "steal" at $500.

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually, yes it does. That's the price Google is selling it at, it's a Google phone, and that's its price. That is exactly what it means. That is not to say others may not buy it at a higher price, but the price Google is selling it IS its actual price.

He's saying the price Google sells it at doesn't mean that's the manufacturing cost of the phone, which it obviously isn't. A "Google phone" is just a moniker. Google designed it side by side with LG, but Google doesn't make the parts, and they can't dictate the prices of them.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
He's saying the price Google sells it at doesn't mean that's the manufacturing cost of the phone, which it obviously isn't. A "Google phone" is just a moniker. Google designed it side by side with LG, but Google doesn't make the parts, and they can't dictate the prices of them.
Why is that so "obvious," unless you have inside knowledge of how much LG's manufacturing cost is? Besides, it's the cost to the customer that we're talking about, or at least that's all that I care about. If Google is subsidizing the price, they are doing it with good reason and incentive. I think we are confusing whether the phone is worth a $500 price tag vs. whether that is its actual price.

Lg's suggested retail price is like $600
LG's phone page neither lists the Nexus 4 nor has a suggested retail price for it. Where did you find LG's suggested retail price? I'd be interested in seeing.

Exactly. If Google was selling it for $500 we'd all be still lining up. In a normal world with Google not subsidizing the phone that price seems fair
First of all, we don't know for a fact that Google is subsidizing the price. They may very well be selling at cost, but that's not the same as subsidizing it. Second, "we" may all be lining up even if the price was $500, but I doubt very much the overall demand would be the same with that price tag, at the initial launch. Actually, I would not be trying to buy it right away with a $500 price tag. I would be more than happy to stick it out with my Galaxy Nexus for a few more months, maybe even a year and wait for the price to either come down or get it second hand, or just wait for the next Nexus phone. Here's the difference: at $300/$350, I will happily get a new Nexus every year. At $500 or above, I will more than gladly spend 2 years between buying the phones. There's a reason Google held the price down to where it has.

Last edited:

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
If you thought the Play Store was slow to ship, you've never bought anything from Daily Steal. It'll take about three weeks to get your phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

In one market.

They come from LG. And how much is it in other markets?

You're kidding yourself if you don't believe Google is subsidizing some of the cost of the phone from LG.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why is that so "obvious," unless you have inside knowledge of how much LG's manufacturing cost is? Besides, it's the cost to the customer that we're talking about, or at least that's all that I care about. If Google is subsidizing the price, they are doing it with good reason and incentive. I think we are confusing whether the phone is worth a $500 price tag vs. whether that is its actual price.

LG's phone page neither lists the Nexus 4 nor has a suggested retail price for it. Where did you find LG's suggested retail price? I'd be interested in seeing.

First of all, we don't know for a fact that Google is subsidizing the price. They may very well be selling at cost, but that's not the same as subsidizing it. Second, "we" may all be lining up even if the price was $500, but I doubt very much the overall demand would be the same with that price tag, at the initial launch. Actually, I would not be trying to buy it right away with a $500 price tag. I would be more than happy to stick it out with my Galaxy Nexus for a few more months, maybe even a year and wait for the price to either come down or get it second hand, or just wait for the next Nexus phone. Here's the difference: at $300/$350, I will happily get a new Nexus every year. At $500 or above, I will more than gladly spend 2 years between buying the phones. There's a reason Google held the price down to where it has.

http://m.androidcentral.com/spanish-retailer-suspends-plans-sell-nexus-4-grounds-pricing

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So... (a) no one is obligated to buy it from a retail store other than Google, (b) Google will still be selling it at $300/$350 when it comes back in stock, and (c) I was right that the demand would not be nearly as high had the price been in the $500-$600 range. Hell, even retailer are canceling it at that price.

a) no one is obligated to buy it from Daily Steals. Heck, no one is obligated to buy it. Period.

b) you being right about that has nothing to do with what the price actually is (the price Google is paying LG to supply them with this phone)

c) so who's supplying the phone, LG or Google? Oh that's right. LG.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In one market.

They come from LG. And how much is it in other markets?

You're kidding yourself if you don't believe Google is subsidizing some of the cost of the phone from LG.

Since Google helped make the phone I'm sure they put their own manpower and money into it hence lowering the cost of Research and Dev to nearly nothing.

I'd imagine since Google is scratching their back with early access to software and that they helped make the phone that Google is getting the price at cost or very near cost.

I have a hard time believing that Google is buying these things at $400 and selling them at $350.

Then again retailers need to make money and Google isn't exactly about doing it in the hardware side of the business. These retailers could be buying them at $199 and reselling for more, we just don't know. But either way, this is a good deal for those who are not wanting to wait for more stock. I've bought from Dailysteals and they are obv no Amazon but it didn't take forever to get to me either. Week or so when I bought my S2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood