Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jman1323
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Jim

Default Flaky WiFi and Cell Signals

In general I really like the Nexus 4 but I am having weak or greatly fluctuating wifi and cell signals. I have compared the signal strength in numerous locations where I used my One S and my wife's S2. In almost every location, the Nexus 4 signals are weaker or non-existent. Any thoughts? Possibly settings issue?

Global Posts
    600 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Flaky WiFi and Cell Signals

I have not had these issues. Maybe check your APN settings.

My signals also seem to come and go. I had a One S before the Nexus 4 (my wife still has one) and the signal seemed more consistent on that phone. I supposedly have an hspa+ 42 tower in my city, but my phone changes from 3g to H all the time. I'm getting really good speeds, but the signal strength just seems odd sometimes. I have a 40mb internet connection at home and my phone sometimes shows 2 bars of wifi when it's in the same room as the router. If I move the phone, it goes to full strength. It almost feels like the phone doesn't show full signal strength when it is idle. I love the phone and haven't had problems but this issue has caught my attention
    Thanked by:
    Jim 

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts

I was having problems with my data speeds and in fact the speedtest.net app would ping at like 273 and then crash without completing. I googled AT&T HSPA+ apn settings and an XDA thread came up. I used their suggested settings and now speedtest.net works (pings in the 70s and get speeds around 7-10 mbp/s) and MMS works. Check it out if you are on AT&T.

I hope its okay if I link to the article.

[APN][AT&T][MMS][HSPA+] Single APN for HSPA+ Speeds AND MMS - (Updated 9/15) - xda-developers

Jesse
    TheLibertarian likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Jim

Is there a similar procedure for T-Mobile?