Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

I have no opinion on it either way. As I said somewhere before, there are enough issues with the n4, they don't need to be made up.

I am not getting into that discussion again either... Lol

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

You know what, issues is the wrong word. Things to dislike about the n4 is better phrasing.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I believe if you call LG or Google you can send it in for repair. Not sure the cost but expect $100 +.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    You have to call LG and they recite the warranty to you. AKA just letting you know that you're responsible for any damages other than manufactured defects.
    They then give you a Return Auth. Number (RA) to place on the inside of and outside of the return packaging. You can use the RA# to track your device throughout the repair service process on the LG Wireless site (https://wws.lg.com/us/support/repair...e/track-repair). They stated that the repair service could take up to 5-7 business days from the time they receive your device.

You are responsible for:
    Return Packaging
    Shipping Costs (to LG Wireless Fort Worth, Texas)
    *Finding some other phone to use while they TAKE FOREVER to fix your phone...

REPAIR PRICE: $140 (shipping not included).
    I mailed it on Jan. 7th and it was returned to my home address on the Jan. 15th.
    My Nexus 4 looked awesome again, but when I turned on the device it was a different story....
    Explained here: [Q] Repair problems: strange Android version installed - Page 9 - xda-developers
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    i agree. i hate casing my phone but its necessary.

because of the scratching or is there something else i havent heard about?
    I meant I don't know why google/lg thought it was a good idea to go there, as in a glass covered phone.

Especially after seeing the risks it introduces with the 4/4S.

Scratches on aluminum are not comparable to cracked or broken glass. Not even in the same realm.

I had an xperia ion and the thing was 80x more durable than any polycarbonate or glass phone, and the aluminum didn't have any issues with scratching.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    Thanked by:
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I find it hilarious how the same people who'd laugh at the iPhone because "a glass phone makes absolutely no sense" are now defending the use of glass in the Nexus 4, saying it feels premium. It's hilarious.

As for the phone sliding on an "almost level" surface, that's not hard to do, especially when it vibrates the phone can move. Secondly, if the glass isn't strong enough on the back when the phone does vibrate/rattle it can cause cracks in the class. If the glass isn't very strong temperature differences can also cause the glass to crack.

It would also be interesting to see how the phone is weighted, compared to an iPhone 4/4S, as that can affect how it falls when it does fall.

The iPhone, being a factorably smaller device, also is less likely to get spider webbed the way the Nexus 4 is due to how compact the glass is, comparatively speaking. It's like dropping a 4 3.5" vase and not having it crack, and then being surprised that a bigger 5" vase cracks on the same drop. The larger surface area does affect it's integrity, at similar thicknesses. And with the way the back glass is constructed, it was an accident waiting to happen, anyways.

Additionally, the fact that a lot of people have dropped and cracked their iPhones isn't a 1:1 comparison. There are an order of a magnitude more iPhone 4/4S devices than Nexus 4s out in the wild, so the percentages simply do not line up equivalently.

This phone requires a case. People have been saying this since before it was released. It will never change. It's probably the most fragile smart device produced, ever.

Apple went from Glass to Aluminum for a reason. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to go there, now...
    The same people that criticized the iphone? Isn't that a bit of a massive generalization?

Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Scratches on aluminum are not comparable to cracked or broken glass. Not even in the same realm.

I had an xperia ion and the thing was 80x more durable than any polycarbonate or glass phone, and the aluminum didn't have any issues with scratching.
    thats why i said i think aluminum is the best material choice for phones....
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4

My Nexus 4 back cracked last weekend and I'm so upset.
    It fell off the nightstand, which is not too high (40cm - 15 inches). Fortunately, it cracked just above the camera lens and not directly through it.

I then took off the back cover, which is very easy. My question is: where can I buy a replacement back glass?

BTW, here's the complete story how it cracked:

Silly question but have you tried LG?

Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

The same people that criticized the iphone? Isn't that a bit of a massive generalization?

O, because I know many of the names since I've been reading and posting on these forums for a while.

But of course you couldn't have thought that's why I worded my statement that way right?

Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson201 View Post
    thats why i said i think aluminum is the best material choice for phones....
    Indeed. And people try to say it's bad for NFC or whatever. There are a lot of aluminum unibody phones that have no nfc or antenna issues.

Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

O, because I know many of the names since I've been reading and posting on these forums for a while.

But of course you couldn't have thought that's why I worded my statement that way right?

Well many of us haven't made that comment so it's generalized. And just because many of us like the Nexus 4 it doesn't necessarily mean we are loving that it is fragile and has a glass back.

Android Evangelist

I rang LG for a qoute and they couldnt qoute me with out taking a look.
    To see what full damage was, Wouldnt fix the front screen and digitizer with out fixing the rear.
    Estimate was 60-90 for Front
    Rear was 40-80
    Labour + VAT + 12 Postage
    Or 23 Inspection charge if i didnt go ahead

Found a crowd Closer (in Ireland) That will fix both and return post within 48Hours For 129.99
    Much happier
    badbrad17 likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Well many of us haven't made that comment so it's generalized. And just because many of us like the Nexus 4 it doesn't necessarily mean we are loving that it is fragile and has a glass back.

I addition calling people out gets you banned unless you are connected to the site in some way

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I addition calling people out gets you banned unless you are connected to the site in some way

Well I'm not sure what to say to that. Are you commenting on what he said or what I said? I was just saying that he made a generalized statement that didn't fit with everyone so I dunno. If they are banning people for saying their information was incorrect I guess we're not really in a forum but some kind of dictatorship :banghead:

Android Evangelist
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I... I... I just don't know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by danilkazzz View Post
    My Nexus 4 back cracked last weekend and I'm so upset.
    here's the complete story how it cracked:
    I'd never be able to finish reading that book, if it had happened to me.

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    I'd never be able to finish reading that book, if it had happened to me.

id start a petition against the publishing company for having a slippery cover. lol
    Kyocera Marbl >> Kyocera Slider Sonic >> Sony Ericsson W580i >> LG Envy Touch >> Samsung Epic 4G >> LG Nexus 4
    Lanhoj and danilkazzz like this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I... I... I just don't know :-)

Ha ha. Thanks for clarifying Pizza.

Android Evangelist
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,413 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

It's generalized for a reason, to avoid trolling those people (i.e. baiting them into an argument). The point is a point, and it can be made without naming specific names. If you're so keen to call it a generalization, I'd reckon you're actually be keen to know what that word means. It is not all-inclusive, so I'm unsure why you're still asking me about it.

The reason why I phrased the statement that way is to avoid naming specific people to maintain a level of couth in the thread. The point is still valid without starting drama with specific people. Anyone who reads the thread can see the differences in opinion; and, since I do read threads I participate in, it's simply impossible to think that I'd lump everyone in the thread into one category like that.

Glass on the iPhone was a dumb idea too. Yes, it always looks good, but it is still a dumb material to use on an entire back of a phone.

Don't play with semantics if you aren't good at it. Done with this little side discussion.

This is like the 10th Nexus 4 thread (not just on this forum, on various) where I've seen people ignorantly peddling the whole "Aluminum is bad for NFC" story. I'm certain it isn't the same person, so I'm curious where they are getting this trash from... Especially since there have been multiple Aluminum devices released and covered in the tech press...
    bobjohnson201 likes this.

A friend of mine dropped my N4 the day I got it, from about shoulder height and it somersaulted a few times before hitting the muddy/dusty ground. Don't know if it was the relatively soft surface or what, but there is absolutely no damage at all. Guess I was pretty lucky.
    Thanked by:
    Lanhoj and bobjohnson201 like this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

It's generalized for a reason, to avoid trolling those people (i.e. baiting them into an argument). The point is a point, and it can be made without naming specific names. If you're so keen to call it a generalization, I'd reckon you're actually be keen to know what that word means. It is not all-inclusive, so I'm unsure why you're still asking me about it.

The reason why I phrased the statement that way is to avoid naming specific people to maintain a level of couth in the thread. The point is still valid without starting drama with specific people. Anyone who reads the thread can see the differences in opinion; and, since I do read threads I participate in, it's simply impossible to think that I'd lump everyone in the thread into one category like that.

Glass on the iPhone was a dumb idea too. Yes, it always looks good, but it is still a dumb material to use on an entire back of a phone.

Don't play with semantics if you aren't good at it. Done with this little side discussion.

This is like the 10th Nexus 4 thread (not just on this forum, on various) where I've seen people ignorantly peddling the whole "Aluminum is bad for NFC" story. I'm certain it isn't the same person, so I'm curious where they are getting this trash from... Especially since there have been multiple Aluminum devices released and covered in the tech press...
    ?? I am confused by your logic. Let's call everyone in they room idiots and expect no one to be offended. Sorry I'd rather speak clearly to all people involved.

Android Evangelist

After a week the crack seems to become deeper and more noticeable, but still not a deal breaker.
    I also disassembled the back and it was a piece of cake. Get the right screw driver and some plastic openers and you can replace the back in about 15-30 minutes. (There's a tutorial on Youtube on that)
    Thanked by:

Angry Re: Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

How much was it to replace? I ordered a replacement device through google because my phone wasn't charging properly and then last night i dropped it and the glass and digitizer are dead... how much do you think google will charge to fix it since I am getting a new one but i have to send the broken one back now...

) It's slipped from my chest height jacket pocket twice, once onto the carpet, and once it hit the car door and then the floor, and now i have this:
    http://battellemedia.com/wp-content/...1/Nexus-4.jpeg

No really, i have a 6$ case on it, really thin, by like slim mobile or something, and nothing happened.

I'm glad you're phone is safe. I never check for traffic while crossing the Street and have yet to be ran over. My Nana smokes 40 a day and drinks a six pack and is fine so no need to stop smoking or drink less as it must be good for you.
    I haven't dropped my glass N4 yet but as a caution I've got it in a armour case. My son says it looks bulky but the button on his iphone 4 is broken and the screen is scratched.
    Every one has their personal opinion and
    Some like thin cases some prefere cases more substantial. I do hate it have to cover up the beauty and feel of my N4. Just as I loved to smoke and drink lots, doesn't mean it was a good idea!
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415 ... LastLast