Have you cracked your Nexus 4 yet?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I think LG in going for thin, goes too far on the glass and/or doesnt go with better quality as far as the rear glass. I've mentioned before my buddy has gone thru two LG optimus G and has to live with the second one being shattered in back glass from a light drop (?). I definitely feel a case is a must have on this phone. I have way more confidence on the glass on my 4S and have replaced glass on an ipad and iphone and especially from my experience on the ipad having to heat gun the glass off and use a tremendous amount of pressure to literally rip the glass off... apple glass is tough!

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ive dropped mine but luckily didn't crack it. I managed to get the official bumper sent out to me, but it makes the phone too wide. I prefer the naked feel, but I know I will be cursing myself if it does crack.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I also have the OEM bumper and actually prefer it. The extra width to me is negligible and it really makes the phone easier to grip (without the bumper the phone wants to slide out of my hand). I do miss being able to take advantage of the screen's beveled edge.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

bobjohnson201

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think LG in going for thin, goes too far on the glass and/or doesnt go with better quality as far as the rear glass. I've mentioned before my buddy has gone thru two LG optimus G and has to live with the second one being shattered in back glass from a light drop (?). I definitely feel a case is a must have on this phone. I have way more confidence on the glass on my 4S and have replaced glass on an ipad and iphone and especially from my experience on the ipad having to heat gun the glass off and use a tremendous amount of pressure to literally rip the glass off... apple glass is tough!

Apple is very good at incorporating top notch materials in their products. They must have a very good team of material science engineers.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple is very good at incorporating top notch materials in their products. They must have a very good team of material science engineers.

Lol,... Yes because the ip4 and ip4s never had shatter issues or problems with the plastic on the 3 and 3gs cracking.... Or the metal back of the ip5 bending :rolleyes:

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

Dr0me

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
have had mine for over a month and dont use a case. Not even a scratch. People just need to be more careful. This would have happened with an iphone 4s too. gotta be careful with glass.

RPhippsy

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, second day of owning it, slipped off mantelpiece onto corner of our fire's tiles.... So sad! :'( At least it has insurance....

Attachments

• 1356598196985.jpg
    1356598196985.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 75

juggler314

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I got mine on the 14th and early in the morning on the 22nd I was rushing to get out of a cab and it slipped - landed on the rough asphalt street (ironically right outside the google building in NYC).

This is the first smartphone I have had that was a "slab of glass" prior to this I had a G2 which had plenty of drops without any issues, a touch pro 2 before that - also had plenty of drops, before that an HTC excalibur - this thing actually flew off the roof of my car going 40mph - got a bit beat up - but still works to this day. That was my first smart phone.

I always cringed with the first drop when the nice phone gets it's first ding - but really it's just a phone no big deal. Glass on the other hand - well first off - there are now tiny shards of glass all over the place...had to be careful about that - plus unlike plastic or whatever it will continue coming out I guess.

It's really upsetting - because it makes the phone a whole lot less useful - you have to be so much more careful with it and I *hate* cases. I'm of the camp that phones are designed to be used as is - not swaddled in a thick layer of plastic. Luckily I have insurance - although I'll probably wait a while to claim it. I ordered several cases online the other day to try out (although not the official bumper as I'm not willing to pay $50 on ebay for it).

I would much prefer the phone simply have a plastic back, or that the edges were raised to avoid this sort of thing (You can see in the picture that if there were a raised bezel likely nothing would have happened - it happened to land right on the edge of the glass unfortunately.

This picture is from my N7 so it is pretty crappy...

Attachments

• nexus_crack.jpg
    nexus_crack.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 69

Alexg314

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
All of these reports make me so nervous about getting my phone! i think we need a thread that talks about inspiration like cases saving people's phones :D

funktard

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
1357234998426.jpg

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup, destroyed the front screen from a height of 2'8". Complete crap.

I highly recommend posting your thoughts on ConsumerReports.org - Smart phones - Google Nexus 4 (16 GB) regarding this issue. It might give us some leverage if a class action is ever filed.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAAAOTs/e61j5xFzZeI/s938/1357234998426.jpg
Seriously? A class action lawsuit because you dropped your glass smartphone onto the ground? Get a life. I just pray that you are American so the rest of the world doesn't get this reputation too. How about you take responsibility for your phone and not drop it or put it in an otterbox.

EDIT: I apologize to the honest Americans that would also find this type of logic absurd. I know there are many people that are not sue happy, but this type of thing truly annoys me. :mad:

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? A class action lawsuit because you dropped your glass smartphone onto the ground? Get a life. I just pray that you are American so the rest of the world doesn't get this reputation too. How about you take responsibility for your phone and not drop it or put it in an otterbox.

EDIT: I apologize to the honest Americans that would also find this type of logic absurd. I know there are many people that are not sue happy, but this type of thing truly annoys me. :mad:

Dude, calm down.

Or give me your Nexus.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Totally understandable. But still, calm down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude, calm down.

Or give me your Nexus.

Edit: Just saw your edit. Totally understandable. But still, calm down.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Lol. I'm calm. Just want people to be reasonable. The world is getting seriously messed up with expecting so many unrealistic expectations. 50 years ago people would just shoot you for being this unrealistic. HA HA. okay I crossed the line too. :eek:

I sent this from my very desirable Nexus 4 :p

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I am not the "typical american" who is sue happy. I'm not out to "get rich" because of a busted phone. That's not the point of a class action lawsuit. The whole point of a class action lawsuit, is to reimburse the customers a company has wrongfully sold a product to and I feel like I, along with many others, were wrongfully sold a product. If i'd owned the phone for 6-8 months, ya I'd be pissed but hey, I got half a year out of it and probably wait till the next Nexus phone. I haven't even owned the phone for two full months and there are countless other's who have suffered the same fate with the Nexus 4. Call it coincidence? Call it "clumsy Americans"? I wasn't even HOLDING the phone both times it fell to the ground and it was sitting in the exact same places I used to set my OLD phone for two years without it ever falling to the ground. So it's my fault the phone mysteriously decided to land on the floor?

No the reason for the mention of a class action is because LG has produced a piss poor quality product and will expect the customer (that's me) to pay for damages that "They deem I cause" because their engineers who decided to make a glass smooth backing that slides off everything that is more than a ~3? angle, are impervious to such stupid design flaws and it's obviously the customers fault for not having a case to protect a phone that shouldn't even need a case if it was designed right in the first place, or it's the customers fault for not handling the phone over anything that isn't a solid surface, or it's the customers fault for heaven forbid, breaking the strongest glass in the world (or so were told). I was informed by LG today that "Gorilla Glass 2" is still "Glass" therefore it is still prone to breaking despite all of the marketing efforts Corning has presented on their "superior" product. FORGIVE ME for being so naive to Corning's impeccable marketing ploys!

I bought the phone expecting it to hold up to everyday use. As many others can attest who now have a broken screen, the phone does NOT hold up to everyday use but LG will no doubt-ably claim that it does and THAT is why class actions are filed. A company would rather try to hide a design flaw or product defect to see just how many complain, instead of admitting a problem and resolving it quickly and honorably. It's not the "dis-honest Americans" trying to make a buck, it's the "Honest Americans" trying to keep the dishonest companies honest.

Uh. Sir. It is glass. Glass breaks. That's life.

And Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not shatter resistant. Want durability? Get Samsung plastic.

Sent from my PLASTIC SPRINT Galaxy Nexus RUNNINNN' 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2 :p

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I am not the "typical american" who is sue happy. I'm not out to "get rich" because of a busted phone. That's not the point of a class action lawsuit. The whole point of a class action lawsuit, is to reimburse the customers a company has wrongfully sold a product to and I feel like I, along with many others, were wrongfully sold a product. If i'd owned the phone for 6-8 months, ya I'd be pissed but hey, I got half a year out of it and probably wait till the next Nexus phone. I haven't even owned the phone for two full months and there are countless other's who have suffered the same fate with the Nexus 4. Call it coincidence? Call it "clumsy Americans"? I wasn't even HOLDING the phone both times it fell to the ground and it was sitting in the exact same places I used to set my OLD phone for two years without it ever falling to the ground. So it's my fault the phone mysteriously decided to land on the floor?

No the reason for the mention of a class action is because LG has produced a piss poor quality product and will expect the customer (that's me) to pay for damages that "They deem I cause" because their engineers who decided to make a glass smooth backing that slides off everything that is more than a ~3? angle, are impervious to such stupid design flaws and it's obviously the customers fault for not having a case to protect a phone that shouldn't even need a case if it was designed right in the first place, or it's the customers fault for not handling the phone over anything that isn't a solid surface, or it's the customers fault for heaven forbid, breaking the strongest glass in the world (or so were told). I was informed by LG today that "Gorilla Glass 2" is still "Glass" therefore it is still prone to breaking despite all of the marketing efforts Corning has presented on their "superior" product. FORGIVE ME for being so naive to Corning's impeccable marketing ploys!

I bought the phone expecting it to hold up to everyday use. As many others can attest who now have a broken screen, the phone does NOT hold up to everyday use but LG will no doubt-ably claim that it does and THAT is why class actions are filed. A company would rather try to hide a design flaw or product defect to see just how many complain, instead of admitting a problem and resolving it quickly and honorably. It's not the "dis-honest Americans" trying to make a buck, it's the "Honest Americans" trying to keep the dishonest companies honest.
I didn't say you were trying to get rich. You are sue happy. Blaming someone for your own mistakes. If I put an expensive vase on a table and it falls off should i blame the people who made they vase? Or maybe I should blame the people who made the table? Or maybe the guy that built the house? Or maybe blame God for gravity? It certainly couldn't be you for not being careful.

If there ever was a class action lawsuit (which there wont) the first thing that LG would do is bring someone like me up on the stand and ask if my phone fell off anything or broke while holding the phone. I would say no and the case would be over.

Mind boggling.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Uh. Sir. It is glass. Glass breaks. That's life.

And Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not shatter resistant. Want durability? Get Samsung plastic.

Sent from my PLASTIC SPRINT Galaxy Nexus RUNNINNN' 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2 :p

This is true.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Corning never said it was unbreakable. You hit anything, even gorilla glass, at the right angle, and you'll see its still glass. Hell, my sgs3 has a small scratch on the glass. ZOMGELEVENTY CORNING SAID IT CANT EVAR BE SCRATCHED I MUST SUEEEEEE...:rolleyes:

If you filed a suit I would hope you get turfed outta court and have to pay court costs, but that's just me.

All I want for Christmas, New Years and my birthday is hockey back, or Bettmans head on a platter. Whichever's easier...

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Wow... So it's still my fault when I place the phone down on a surface, make sure it's stable, look away for a two to three minutes then hear my phone fall to the floor as if I had some sort of unnatural power to know that it was magically going to fall from a place that has never been a problem in the past with phones mysteriously jumping to the floor on their own whim. Yup, all my fault huh. All my fault that I bought the dumb phone in the first place. See, the blame can always be put back on the customer. Same with all of the other guys who have posted similar stories. It's all their fault for buying the phone in the first place. Yup blame them!

Funny thing is, I never said anything about personally suing anyone. I merely stated

Notice the key word "IF". Not "When", not "We're Going To", not "I'm Going To", not "I Plan To"... point being you read into the comment way further than you needed to. My statement was merely reinforcing that I believe a class action might come out of this situation.

Here, let me Google that for you! Let me google that for you

Don't be so quick to assume everyone is sue happy and jump to conclusions. The statement was a simple observation of the obvious that in less than two months, the number of Nexus 4 screen being cracked appears to have become rather epidemic. Usually when that sort of thing happens, the only leverage the customer has against a company to get it resolved, is to file a class action lawsuit.
You sound a lot like the people who had problems with breaking the back of their iPhones years ago. Similar situation. Lots of mad people.

Sorry you broke your phone but it's not their fault. It's called glass for a reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton